Thread: Reservoir temps

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,224 Times

Default Reservoir temps

So not really sure about this, not really seen any discussion about it.

So I was wondering what the ideal temps would be for your water in your reservoir and found a guy on youtube claiming temps should be between 16 and 19c.

I thought this was a bit cold but what ever. After a week of running my reservoir I'm at 24.5c so I changed the water out. Fresh water in was about 14c and it warmed up to 19c in around 2-3 hours. 12 hours later the temps are at 22.8c.

I have no lights on or heaters in the groom just the water with an air pump and a water pump. SO when I turn the lights on I'm sure temps will rise again by 3-4c.

How can I keep the water temp down without changing my res twice a day? I thought about adding ice cubes but again that would mean several ice cube servings per day. A Cheap solution would be good here...

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,865 Times

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,095 Times

Get yourself on eBay and look for a Hailea chiller dude. I managed to pick one up for less than £100 it was the 150a model I think.

Failing that I've heard of people freezing plastic bottles of milk and the changing them out twice a day. The reason they use milk is because it takes longer to thaw out.

You want your temps at around 18°C

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty_badger For This Useful Post:

ReeferDankness (29-03-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,224 Times

I'm using a home made wilma system. 35lt container with around 20lt of nutrient mix being pumped up to drippers. The water recycles so I'm sure it will warm up when it has been through the system but I don't even have it circulating yet.

I think the frozen milk in a bottle trick should help

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,865 Times

Quote Originally Posted by ReeferDankness View Post
    I'm using a home made wilma system. 35lt container with around 20lt of nutrient mix being pumped up to drippers. The water recycles so I'm sure it will warm up when it has been through the system but I don't even have it circulating yet.

I think the frozen milk in a bottle trick should help
    Insulating the rez will help, if you dont want to go to the expense of a chiller you're stuck with the frozen bottle scenario...

Regards BL

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

ReeferDankness (29-03-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,612 Times

Thinking if the light is hitting the warter directly in any way
    1st. Paradise - Opium -Complete-