Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Heat issue

Thanks

I would comment more than this, i'm in the same boat for size of groom with an 250w hps with reflector and venting exhaust into room, no heat issues yet as it still ain't turned up. This makes me think even more. Delay the grow for another 2 weeks?? get all equipment in and test test test before planting.
    Willie don't let you smoke up in his house! But I'm your Uncle Elroy! and I don't care how high you get! As long as you let me hit it up, first!
    My 1st attempt with a trio of autos.
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...-1st-Auto-Grow

Chew Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Heavyhank View Post
    Hi, I need a little advice for a problem I'm having with my temps.
    My grow space is about 6 feet by 3 feet by 2 feet which I've been using to grow two plants at a time
    For circulation/temp control I have a 5 inch carbon filter attached to a 5 inch fan and a 5 inch cool tube, also hooked up to a 5 inch fan.
    Im running 250 watt HPS

The problem is, my cool tube doesn't seem to have made much of a difference at all. And my temps still run at about 31 - 33 degrees C.

I think the problem is due to the cool tube exhaust heating up the room
    . So the air being sucked in by the intake is about 24 degrees, Where's normal room temp with everything off is about 21 degrees...

So my question is... What else can I do to shave a few degrees?
    Thats most likely the problem. Move the exhaust to the window, another room, or, pull the intake from outside.
    Last edited by Chew; 09-04-16 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Spelling

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew For This Useful Post:

Bud4meds (09-04-16)

Thanks

Hopefully, there will be pics attached...I've actually reconsidered the length of ducting and would say it's about four feet in total, on the tube. Sorry the photos are so dark, but I think you should be able to see what's going on there
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1474.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	323820   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1476.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	323821   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1478.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	323822   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1480.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	323823   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1482.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	323824  

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by citizen cained View Post
    Try a humidifier (if your humidity level can take it) that cools my groom by about 5.c, failing that, try to have the intake come from a different room or even better, from outside
    That would make all the difference!! Is it possible to hint at what would be a good humidifier..I know there's some rules about that sort of thing round these parts..

But actually my next step after tackling the temps was humidity..at the moment it ranges between 25 and 35..so I think it can take it quite readily...and I happen to have one spare electric socket left in there

Thanks

That would make all the difference!! Is it possible to hint at what would be a good humidifier..I know there's some rules about that sort of thing round these parts..

But actually my next step after tackling the temps was humidity..at the moment it ranges between 25 and 35..so I think it can take it quite readily...and I happen to have one spare electric socket left in there
    Yep needs to be 50-70 during veg, tbh I got a cheap one on eBay for 5 quid but needs filling up every 12 hours so is a pain in the arse! Try and get one with a large capacity tank

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Or get a humidity controller

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Ok, I've been doing a little research into heat transfer equations.

If my calculations are right, I need my filter fan to run at about 240 m3/h whereas my current fan is only running at 190. So, I've been looking at a centrifugal 5 inch fan that will push 355 m3/h ...I'm thinking, if I run that with a speed controller, I'd pretty much be able to dial in the temp to anything I want!

Not only that, but if I hit that magical mid to high 20s in the cupboard then humidity might very well sort itself out too..

So my question now is, what do I need to know about speed controllers, and do they work on any fan with a single switched input?
    I don't want to buy an overkill fan if I can't slow down the flow rate.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 48,497 Times

Ok, I've been doing a little research into heat transfer equations.

If my calculations are right, I need my filter fan to run at about 240 m3/h whereas my current fan is only running at 190. So, I've been looking at a centrifugal 5 inch fan that will push 355 m3/h ...I'm thinking, if I run that with a speed controller, I'd pretty much be able to dial in the temp to anything I want!

Not only that, but if I hit that magical mid to high 20s in the cupboard then humidity might very well sort itself out too..

So my question now is, what do I need to know about speed controllers, and do they work on any fan with a single switched input?
    I don't want to buy an overkill fan if I can't slow down the flow rate.
    Hi heavy tank,

Fellow newbie here, I had the same problem. M groom is smaller than yours and I was hitting 32-35. I had a 83m3/h exhaust and needed about 150m3/h. I bought a centrifugal 4" fan that runs at 287m3/h and a fan speed controller.
    The fan speed controller was the best thing I've bought since growing.

I got one off flea bay for about 35 quid if you can have it outside the groom you can play around til your hearts content.
    It takes literally seconds to change the temps and your right the RH % should follow suit and sort itself out.

Cheap way to lower humidity is to place a tray of rice in your groom or to raise RH a bowl of water or some wet towels just placed in there will adjust RH

Another tip that worked for me.
    I also moved my scrubber to the out side of my groom so the exhaust blows in to the filter instead of sucking through it. That seemed to give the fan a bit more pulling power. If you do decide to do this make sure you take off the pre filter and place it inside the filter so it's working backwards.

If you need I can post a pic later when lights turn on, of how my exhaust is set up, looks weird but my temps and humidity are spot on and I have none of the stink sneaking out either.

I'm gonna have a look see if your growing at the mo. If you've got a diary then I'll pull up a chair if I may. If you haven't got a diary, do yourself a favour and start 1. With a diary it's great for keeping logs and also all the Pro's in here keep an eye and help you if you need it. Good luck

😯💨💨💨

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ironman For This Useful Post:

Heavyhank (11-04-16), JB (12-04-16), Mr.North (11-04-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ironman83 View Post
    Hi heavy tank,

Fellow newbie here, I had the same problem. M groom is smaller than yours and I was hitting 32-35. I had a 83m3/h exhaust and needed about 150m3/h. I bought a centrifugal 4" fan that runs at 287m3/h and a fan speed controller.
    The fan speed controller was the best thing I've bought since growing.

I got one off flea bay for about 35 quid if you can have it outside the groom you can play around til your hearts content.
    It takes literally seconds to change the temps and your right the RH % should follow suit and sort itself out.

Cheap way to lower humidity is to place a tray of rice in your groom or to raise RH a bowl of water or some wet towels just placed in there will adjust RH

Another tip that worked for me.
    I also moved my scrubber to the out side of my groom so the exhaust blows in to the filter instead of sucking through it. That seemed to give the fan a bit more pulling power. If you do decide to do this make sure you take off the pre filter and place it inside the filter so it's working backwards.

If you need I can post a pic later when lights turn on, of how my exhaust is set up, looks weird but my temps and humidity are spot on and I have none of the stink sneaking out either.

I'm gonna have a look see if your growing at the mo. If you've got a diary then I'll pull up a chair if I may. If you haven't got a diary, do yourself a favour and start 1. With a diary it's great for keeping logs and also all the Pro's in here keep an eye and help you if you need it. Good luck

��������

Sounds like you've got a good handle on things. All pics welcome - I'm always interested to see what others have done, especially if their temps are good!

So what kind of temps were you getting after the 4 inch fan but before you switched the filter to an outer? or did you do both at the same tie - in which case, what are your temps now?

Also, my 5 inch in-line fans are noisy! I mean someone in the next room with a vacuum-noisy. In your opinion would it be better to buy an over-powered fan and turn it down, or a matched power fan on full? I mean noise-wise? In other words, is your current fan set-up quieter than your original fan set-up?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 48,497 Times

Hi Hank (not tank lol)

I've got some info that will help you out for sure. I finish work in an hour and a half I will brush up on my knowledge and we can have a post off as soon as I get home I will pop some pics up too.

Speak soon 😯💨💨💨

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast