Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: PH dropping and so is EC?

Thanks

WHOOOP WHOOOP WHOOOP WHOOOP WHOOOP!

It's definitely NOT rot. I managed to haul the fat bitch up out of the res bucket by about 6 inches or so (it about did me a hernia) but it was enough that I was able to see a ful res full of bright white roots. She's about filled the 35 L res too
    Oh man you guys don't know how happy, relieved etc I am to see white roots and tonnes of them. I couldn't manage pics of the roots and hold her up unfortunately but they are white as white can be and I'm still grinning

Here's some pics of her now nearly 2 weeks into 12/12. The pics just don't do the scale of this bush justice lol. She's about 4ft tall and just about fits under the 1m parabolic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SBWP-005.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	325011

Name:	SBWP-004.jpg 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	325012

Name:	SBWP-002.jpg 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	325013

As you can see, she's not bad at all health wise hence the confusion with the PH. She's just starting to put out flowers / pre-flowers so I'll be looking to switch her off the veg nutes and over to bloom now.
    This evening when I went in, the PH hadn't fallen for a change. She was sat at 6.2 so I'm going to keep her sitting at around PH 6.0 that way she can go whatever direction she likes and she's still in the range.

I don't care what it is causing it now I know it's absolutely not rot. I think if I'd have found rot tonight I'd have drowned myself in the res hahaha.

I'm soooo relieved man.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpongeBongWeedPants For This Useful Post:

B.A.BARACUS (28-04-16), Bethmeg (26-04-16), kbag (26-04-16)

Thanks

Feel like celebrating now.

Funny, this was the song that popped into my head as soon as I saw I didn't have rot - for some reason. Now it's stuck in there haha.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 19,812 Times

Quote Originally Posted by SpongeBongWeedPants View Post
    Feel like celebrating now.

Funny, this was the song that popped into my head as soon as I saw I didn't have rot - for some reason. Now it's stuck in there haha.
    It was probably the trumpets that did a fanfare in your head lol
    Nice one with the roots

Onwards and upwards dear

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bethmeg For This Useful Post:

SpongeBongWeedPants (26-04-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bethmeg View Post
    It was probably the trumpets that did a fanfare in your head lol
    Nice one with the roots

Onwards and upwards dear
    Thank you bethmeg and thank you everyone for your help and advice.

This is a personal milestone for me so another reason to be grinning. Firstly after so many hydro attempt failures it looks like my investments and new routines are paying off afterall. Secondly, I haven't had a plant that's been this green at this stage into flowering for a very long time. Even my soil girls wouldn't be this green and healthy looking so the fact it's going this well in hydro is a real real bonus.

I really want this to be the one that goes "perfect" so I'm really pushing my limits. So far 11 weeks down just 8 - 10 more to go. I'm only 2 weeks into flower and I'm a dithering wreck. This PH problem has been keeping me awake some nights. Honestly. lol.

I'm aiming for a target of 20oz dry off this baby. Not because I need that much (it would be nice) but purely because I want to see if I can - as I'm sure many growers do.

Last time I did power plant was many many years ago when I started. It was my very first indoor strain. It was in soil and it took 10 plants to make 20oz but by god was it a crackin' smoke. That and the proper original Cinderella 99. Til mites took a liking to them that is and I had to stop growing them. Think I had weak cuttings from the get go so the mites would just feast on them. Didn't stop the weed tasting nice though

Cheers all from one very happy SpongeBong. Raw head for me tonight and I'm referring to the quantity of weed in my joint you dirty minded people hahahaha Although, thinking about it, the other sounds good as well

Thanks

Oh, before I go.. I just wanted to answer one of my own questions I had in case anyone else was interested.

I don't know whether or not it's due to keeping the environment under control i.e. good res temps or the Stress Zyme I use in place of cannazym or a combination of the two that's kept the rot at bay but I can say that adding the Stress Zyme obviously hasn't hurt or cause rot which was one of my concerns. I'm sure people will have come across the same threads I read when researching about such things. Some say using these bennies causes rot, others say it prevents. Well from my perspective at least it seems they don't do any harm. Whether they do any good on the other hand is probably too early to say.

Until I see evidence they aren't working, I'll keep adding them. I mean this stress zyme shit is so concentrated you barely need any in a 35L res and it's not that expensive for a few hundred ml bottle. Lasts ages but I tend to use double the amount which is mere drops.

Anyway, hope that helps anyone looking / researching in the future.

Name:	StressZyme.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	325020
    Last edited by SpongeBongWeedPants; 26-04-16 at 08:40 PM.

Thanks

Hi there mate. As your probebly aware ph drop is usually because the res is in fact infected to begin with or the roots. also its not a good idea to top up with nutes as you wont know what makes up the ec.
    A plant dosnt need loads in the water its put there so eventually it can get to it and drink it up at will. my res drops to 150ppms before a change i will raise that slighly because i know it needs alittle extra calmag to get through the week.
    "Hot res's cause a lot of issues if above 21c" root rot will surly follow fairly swiftly. i personally use voodoo when in dier need it will clean the roots and help with speeding up and unlocking her faster.hope this helps.
    Last edited by IndicaIVme; 26-04-16 at 10:07 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to IndicaIVme For This Useful Post:

SpongeBongWeedPants (27-04-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IndicaIVme View Post
    Hi there mate. As your probebly aware ph drop is usually because the res is in fact infected to begin with or the roots. also its not a good idea to top up with nutes as you wont know what makes up the ec.
    A plant dosnt need loads in the water its put there so eventually it can get to it and drink it up at will. my res drops to 150ppms before a change i will raise that slighly because i know it needs alittle extra calmag to get through the week.
    "Hot res's cause a lot of issues if above 21c" root rot will surly follow fairly swiftly. i personally use voodoo when in dier need it will clean the roots and help with speeding up and unlocking her faster.hope this helps.
    Hi IndicaIVme,

I don't think there's any infection - at least there's no sign of any. Root zone looks healthy. Plant looks healthy. Plant is eating and drinking plenty. Just this odd PH behavior.

I'm exactly two weeks into 12/12 today (I thought it was thursday yesterday and got ahead of myself) so I did a res change yesterday instead of today. I like to change the res every 7 days without fail.
    I gave the plant aprox 90% Grow nutes and 10% bloom and a smidgeon of CalMag. Now she's getting pre-flowers on I'm going to slowly start introducing the bloom nutes. So instead of topping off now with diluted veg nutes, I'll be topping off with bloom instead. By the time she's in full flower, she'll be on 100% bloom nutes, or that's the plan (thanks to advice from some chaps here).

One mistake I've been making (although it's not been a problem until now) is that while I can let my water stand before use, I can't mix up large batches of nutes and let them stand so that it's buffered before I adjust the PH due to space issues.
    I think this is having a detremental effect and I'm then chasing my own tail.

When I mix up a fresh batch of nutes for a res change (I think I've mentioned this before) I mix up in two 15 Liter batches. I'll let the first one stand for a few hours then I'll adjust it and add it. Then mix up the second batch and repeat. I then let the whole res circulate / mix / stand for a few hours again. Each batch will be in the ball park PH and EC wise and then I'll make final adjustments once all the water is in the res and has stood again for a few hours. Usually I'll need to add PH down due to high PH tap water. But I think this could be part of the problem as has been pointed out by British green (I believe it was).

I think I'm adjusting the PH more than I need to and then the nute buffers are kicking in as well - where as if I were able to mix up the nutes 24 - 36 hours before hand in one go and let them stand properly for a day, the buffers in the nutes would be more effective and I wouldn't need to PH down at all or probably very little. So I think that when I add the PH down after letting the res stand for a few hours, it's not enough time. Then the buffers in the nutes kick in and it overshoots or undershoots whichever way you want to look at it.

It's another theory that does seem to fit the facts sort of. This could be why it gets more stable as the week goes on. Throughout the week I'll top up with diluted nutes and tap water that's been stood but not PH adjusted. I do this to bring the PH up naturally without having to add PH up or silicone.

Well I've had a good think and apart from the PH imystery everything has gone well this run so far so I think I'll be carrying on with hydro and doing just the one big plant with lots of veg time. This means I wont need one half of my flowering area to accomodate 5 - 6 plants (I used to run two 600W lamps) so I can use that room to stand another couple of 50 liter kitchen bins in that space. The idea then is to have one bin for just plain water. One for mixing up veg nutes and one for mixing up bloom. Then I CAN leave my nute mixes to stand and airate and stabilise properly.

I'll get on to that ASAP and see how that goes. I should have done that all along ideally but I've really only just gone from filling my space with 5 - 6 soil plants down to trying just one big single plant hydro grow so I've not had the room.

Finally, just a quick update on my res change last night.
    As said, I have the plant on 90% veg nutes, 10% bloom and a touch of Calmag. Set the EC to 1.55 and adjusted finally with PH down to 5.8. This morning the EC was at 1.55 but the water had dropped so I'm about at the right feed level I'd say. She hadn't drank as much last night though and I only had to top off with aprox 3 liters instead of the usual 5 or 6. I think that may be down to the fact the PH was sat at 5.1 when I went in this morning (12 hours after the res change).

My thoughts are like I said above. The buffers in the nutes hadn't had a chance to work by the time I PH adjusted to 5.8 last night. Then overnight the whole res has settled and the buffers have worked and the PH has dropped down even further than where I'd set it. Just a hunch / theory. This morning, I topped up with just plain tap water that had been stood and airated. That didn't raise the PH enough so I had to drain some back off and add silicone to up the PH some more. I didn't have to add much silicone. 5ml is all it took to push her to 5.6 bordering on 5.7.

I've been here before and I think this is where I start chasing my tail because I think she then goes and quickly eats the small dose of silicone I add to raise the PH up and then the PH drops again back to near where she was before I added it.
    The more I think about it, the more it sort of makes sense. Doesn't mean it is right but it kind of makes sense to me. With the absence of any signs of rot or sickness, it's gotta be something like this going in in the res chemistry.

I wonder if the PH would drop still if I used actual PH up instead of silicone? Shame I don't have any to try.
    I know you're really not meant to use PH up and PH down in the same res but it would be interesting to see if using dedicated PH up makes a difference. I may try and get some and try that out just to see. I can change the res again after if it starts looking iffy.

What ever the case may be, I'm sure mixing up and letting the nutes stand in their own bins 24 hours prior to use will be of great benefit even if it's not the issue.

I bet people love my posts. Lots of text, lots of thinking out loud and muttering hahaha. I mainly write so much because I like to be thorough and I also think about the times I've gone looking for information, have found a promising thread which describes exactly what I'm going through and the thread never gets finished or the topic wanders off onto something else and you never get the answers you want so for that reason I like to share as much as possible until the conlcusion.

Cheers all and thanks for all the help

Thanks

Just read your reply again and you mention temps. I forgot to mention in my reply that room temps, canopy temps and most importantly of all res temps have all been well within acceptable range.
    I've been really anal about the res temps. Any sign she's running anywhere near too warm and I'm on it. It has to be a really really warm day to get the res anywhere near 19C. 35L seems to be a decent volume in the sense that room temps don't affect it quick. I've also insulated the outside of the aquafarm with bubblewrap and it seems to be doing a fantastic job. I'll say it's definitely doing a fantastic job if I make it through summer with the same sort of temps

Day room temps are aprox 21C - 23C
    Night room teps are aprox 17C - 18C

Day canopy temps are aprox 23C - 24C but they have gone higher on exceptionally warm days. I have recorded 28C on a couple of occasions but I've tweaked my environmental controller and heater since then so it should be able to cope next time we have some warm days.
    Night canopy temps are aprox same as room temps at night.

Day res temp aprox 18C but does vary between 16 and 19. Never do I let it get above 20 and it rarely gets to 19. Usually it's around 17 or 18C.
    Night res temp aprox 16 - 17C. Never ever goes below 16C.

Day humidity aprox 20 - 30% but I have had it drop to below that on occasion.
    Night humidity aprox 40 - 55%

Cheers
    Last edited by SpongeBongWeedPants; 28-04-16 at 10:37 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3