Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do I need a carbon filter?

Thanks

Default Do I need a carbon filter?

Hey guys

So I've been busy planning my first grow. It will be in the loft and I've discovered there are holes that I can attach ducting to which will allow me to vent from my tent to the outside of the building. My understanding is that the carbon filter 'cleans' the odours from the air as you extract it. Seeing as I don't need the air to be 'clean' as it leaves the roof I figured I might not need a carbon filter. It would save valuable space(and money) in the small tent I will be using.

Smells don't leak from the passive intake hole right? Assuming my extraction system is air tight, without a carbon filter my loft won't smell of the plant at all?

Hope that makes sense! Thank you guys!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,555 Times

You most definitely need a carbon filter 100% mate.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrG For This Useful Post:

Blue (03-05-16), Edd77 (02-05-16), ggotch (01-05-16), M_C (01-05-16), Sacache (02-05-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,224 Times

2nd what Thor says... I grew 2 plants once without a carbon filter... never again. Don't under estimate the smell mate.

Also I'd say best not to pump hot air straight outside. If you're in a tent in the loft, vent it back in to the loft and let the air naturally disperse.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ReeferDankness For This Useful Post:

Sacache (02-05-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,849 Times

definately need a filter mate,smell pouring out of roof is just as likely to pour in through someone elses windows etc and when theres no wind itll just hang around waiting to be smelt at ground level.
    dibble etc dont need to know where smell is coming from immediatly,just that its there,somewhere in your vicinity.

smell will also hit you/loft/down into house etc when you open the tent to do anything at all, so that has to be considered, though in tent filter doesnt help with that much,have to plan for that as well somehow.

then theres the para caused by you knowing that you dont have full control of your grow and are unable to cover all eventuallities/possible fkups.

dont forget you might not smell anything as you become used to the smell,but others can notice a gnats fart at two miles away.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ggotch For This Useful Post:

Sacache (02-05-16)

Thanks

My neighbour came to me yesterday actually and said that there's a constant smell of weed around the flats. Getting my filter today!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ollski For This Useful Post:

Sacache (02-05-16)

Thanks

Alright, filter it is! Thanks for the info guys!

Also is that correct about the passive intake hole? The loft won't stink up whilst the tent is closed right?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,224 Times

The smell should stay contained within the tent when it's closed. You want to create negative pressure in the tent so that no smells can escape. Generally I have my exhaust fan more powerful than my intake, that way even when I open the door, smells don't try to escape the tent... Then you gotta jump in quick and zip it back up

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ReeferDankness For This Useful Post:

Sacache (02-05-16)

Thanks

Ok good. I've seen that the Rhino carbon filters come in a 'Hobby' & 'pro' version. Do you think the Hobby version be adequate?

Thank you

Thanks

rhino hobby filters are fine. pro version you can use a few more times thats all swings and roundabouts

15. The Following User Says Thank You to philmein For This Useful Post:

Sacache (02-05-16)

Thanks

Deffo get one you may not beable to smell it outside as you will get used to the smell but everyone else will get a rhino pro

17. The Following User Says Thank You to smellyblues For This Useful Post:

Sacache (02-05-16)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast