Thread: Insect frass

Thanks

Default Insect frass

I have been growing organic for the last 3 seasons now and loving it! With most things in life I don't feel you can master it but only try to improve from the previous attempt. I have been reading many good things about insect frass (insect poop) including it fighting pest along with fertilizing. The cost is rather expensive online (around $11/lb) but I happen to keep silkworms for my reptiles in the summer months when the mulberry trees are in bloom. Silkworms only eat mulberry leaves or food derived from mulberry leaves. *Feeding lots of silkworms equals lots of frass (poop) and I was wondering if anyone else had tried using frass particularly silkworm frass. *The silkworms eat fresh mulberry leaves 3x a day if you look closely in the photos your can see the dried up bits of uneaten stems and leaves. *Since the leaf material is from a healthy mulberry I dont this it should be a problem but if anyone thinks else wise please tell me. I am currently using it as a top dressing.So as mentioned I more frass than I can use and if anyone else is interested and sharing their results Ill be more than happy to donate to the cause a pound or two just pay the shipping (probably $5-6 in the US) just shoot me a pm and thanks in advance for any replys*
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1477.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	327757  

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kilojay619 For This Useful Post:

Donmitch0121 (14-06-16), JB (18-06-16), M_C (14-06-16), redisiel (16-06-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

I have no idea if it will be of any use... but I think it's a great idea to give it a run
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

JB (18-06-16), onion ring (14-06-16), redisiel (16-06-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

Hey matey
    The main reason for use of frass is for the content chitin which in turn is broken down and converted into chitinase which gives the pest resistance properties mainly along with some npk so basically it comes down to the mulberry does this contain chitin or any npk?
    Best wishes
    Redz
    NO-TILL Gardening with REDZ

REDZ BUILDS LIVING SOIL!!!

Redz & Ironjustice Do super lemon haze in rdwc for GWP

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...n-rdwc-for-GPW(COMPLETE)
    LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!