Thread: Ebb & Flow Setup - How often to change water.

Thanks

Default Ebb & Flow Setup - How often to change water.

How often should I change the reservoir's water with my ebb and flow setup. Thanks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Xl2m8os For This Useful Post:

Bethmeg (16-06-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 19,812 Times

To ensure you always have good fresh nutes then one res change every week,two at the most is good.

I dont follow this though,just wasting good nutes.
    I can usually get away for weeks at a time with just topping up.
    I only really change if I see a problem or if I can be arsed

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bethmeg For This Useful Post:

Cunning (16-06-16), pitViper (25-06-16), Xl2m8os (17-06-16)

Thanks

What about using copper sulfate or some type of aqua algicide instead of changing water so often? Does anything exist that would treat the algae growth so it does not suck the nutrients away from the plants?

Thanks

I have been reading and some people are using clorox and others copper sulfate. Does anyone have any experience with and ebb and flow or doc system using these methods and are they sage to the plants. Thanks.

Thanks

Ebb and flow irrigation systems are gaining in popularity among growers throughout the southeastern U.S. While considerations such as plant quality and disease spread are important whenever these systems are employed, the threat of algae is not viewed as a concern anywhere else in the country. Tests were conducted in 1993 at the CFREC-Apopka to evaluate safe controls for algae in an ebb and flow system. Copper at 2 ppm was found effective for algae control and safe for use in trays containing a variety of foliage plants. This treatment proved more effective than did either bleach or bromine at 30 ppm active ingredient.

Anyone tried this.....

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,866 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Xl2m8os View Post
    What about using copper sulfate or some type of aqua algicide instead of changing water so often? Does anything exist that would treat the algae growth so it does not suck the nutrients away from the plants?
    Just do a complete rez change weekly for best results....If you're topping up your Ec the NPK and micro ratios will be off over time because the plants use more of some elements than others which leave the rez either depleted or rich in certain elements...Start with a fresh rez weekly top it up during the week then complete rez change...

Regards BL

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

Bethmeg (17-06-16), the brit (26-06-16), Xl2m8os (18-06-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 19,812 Times

You shouldnt really be getting algae in the system.

I run an ebb and flow/flood and drain and dont change res much and dont suffer with algae.
    If you keep all pots etc covered so the light cant get in then you wont get algae.
    It only tends to get bad wheres theres light.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bethmeg For This Useful Post:

pitViper (05-04-22), Xl2m8os (18-06-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,224 Times

I use a smaller size res.. 30lt and the plants eat that up in around 4 days so I change the res every 4 days, not wasting any nutes and plants always have fresh water/nutes. Once a week should be more than fine though.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ReeferDankness For This Useful Post:

Bethmeg (19-06-16)

Thanks

i haven't done reservoir changes for years.
    i do use a tweaked version of "Lucas Formula"using willards Plant Catalyst,AmHydros Companion Inoculant with GH flora series @1/2 strength using top-offs
    and maintaining ppm's with nute add-backs

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pitViper For This Useful Post:

Bethmeg (25-06-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,371 Times

i have a 125 litre/28 gallon reservoir and i clean it at least once a week..and drain and put fresh water in once a week as well before a clean.

the chems in the water react differently with different strengths of other chems and i hate that slime in the bottom but it is not slime it's the chemical reaction even with water
    movement you will get that "slime"
    Last edited by Happy roken; 26-06-16 at 02:39 AM.
    The above is just opinion..My opinion is law in my world..