Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Variac fan controller for £53 - too good to be true?

Thanks

Default Variac fan controller for £53 - too good to be true?

Whilst browsing eBay I've come across what looks to be a variac fan controller.

Typing in "variac fan controller" will bring them up, starting from £52.99 with free delivery.

I was wondering if anyone had tried one of these and if they were any good?

The casing looks pretty much the same as the Ziehl Abegg one which is double the price although I appreciate these are somewhat generic.

Good deal or cheap chinese copies that are to be avoided?

1st Grow - 5x Incredible Bulk
    2nd Grow - 5x Incredible Bulk
    3rd Grow - 4x Incredible Bulk & 1x Delicious Candy
    4th Grow - Incredible Bulk, Delicious Candy & Pakistan Valley
    5th Grow - 1200w 8 Plants Multistrain

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sodangerous For This Useful Post:

Blue (28-06-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 37,976 Times

The one you mention is very similar to mine, although mine came wired,you'll have to wire that one yourself. They work great.. No buzz from the fan whilst running on a lower speed. Just make sure you don't overload it with more than 1.5amps

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

sodangerous (28-06-16)

Thanks

It'll only be running a 6" RVK so should be fine. Had a Google and found some very positive reviews on other forums so I think I'll give it a go. The SMSCOM jobby I've got at the moment is pointless, the sound of the whooshing at full blast is quieter than the hum when turned down lol.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sodangerous For This Useful Post:

Blue (28-06-16)

Chew Guest

Item number 281595063037 1.5 amp is what i use and works a treat. No hum at all

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew For This Useful Post:

Blue (28-06-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 37,976 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sodangerous View Post
    It'll only be running a 6" RVK so should be fine. Had a Google and found some very positive reviews on other forums so I think I'll give it a go. The SMSCOM jobby I've got at the moment is pointless, the sound of the whooshing at full blast is quieter than the hum when turned down lol.
    When I first started out I had the smscom and mine did the exact same (loud buzz) being a variable not variac ... You'll be surprised how quite your fan is using one of these Variacs whilst stepped down a few speeds.. But bare in mind running your fan at a lower speed might not be an option through the summer months
    Last edited by Blue; 28-06-16 at 09:11 PM.

Thanks

Can these controllers be used on a twin speed fan whilst it is on its fastest speed ? The bloke in the grow shop said it could burn the fan out, but he was on about those cheap'o ones, not a variac.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,586 Times

Guys, I'm running a 10" 3250cfm tornado box fan and 8" rvk 800cfm, would like to know what kind of ampage they are together and what would be the best controller to run for them.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,866 Times

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

B.A.BARACUS (29-06-16), Blue (29-06-16), ciderboy (02-07-16), Diddydon (02-07-16), Jesse Pinkman (29-06-16), M_C (29-06-16), rockhopper (29-06-16), Samwise Gamgee (29-06-16), Type M (02-07-16)

Dr-Chronic Guest

I own 3 of them mate, there not variacs there 5 step transformers they basically lower / higher the voltage of the fan to turn up and down, make sure the ampage rating is correct though else theyll get too hot and catch fire, i believe 1.5a is the ones i have they was bought to run 2x 6" rvks l1s and a 8" rvk

i built one of lightyears fan controllers, not used it yet but have tried and tested badboy bit of kit set and forget and if it cant get down to ur target temp coz of hot weather then theres pretty much fuck all ya can do but let the controller do its shit quality mate, if u do go that route talk to the jackal, he found the variacs dirt cheap somewhere a couple weeks after i built mine they added over 100 on what he found them for on wattbits bummer for my pocket lol
    Last edited by Dr-Chronic; 29-06-16 at 03:09 PM.

Thanks

So do the eBay jobbies hum mate?

I've looked at Bud's design before (props btw!), and it's something I might consider for my next run but I was hoping to have something more "out of the box" for now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast