Thread: Air con units in the loft or insulate loft?

Thanks

Default Air con units in the loft or insulate loft?

ok so In the summer temps are horrible in the loft. Plants are struggling last week in 35-40dagrees of heat.

can anyone recommend a good air con unit that I can leave running in the loft to stabilise temperature? Or would I best off just to insulate the loft? From what I can see up there it doesn't look like it's ever been done.

I've seen some ac units for around 200 - 500 but will this do the job and keep my ambient temperature on a hot day where I want it?

Regards.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to J7OKR For This Useful Post:

Chew Guest

Quote Originally Posted by J7OKR View Post
    ok so In the summer temps are horrible in the loft. Plants are struggling last week in 35-40dagrees of heat.

can anyone recommend a good air con unit that I can leave running in the loft to stabilise temperature? Or would I best off just to insulate the loft? From what I can see up there it doesn't look like it's ever been done.

I've seen some ac units for around 200 - 500 but will this do the job and keep my ambient temperature on a hot day where I want it?

Regards.
    You would need quite a good one to cool a loft. I have a Honeywell AMH-53RE. It pulls an insane amount of power, 1.7 KW i believe and is so stupidly loud, it's unusable

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew For This Useful Post:

J7OKR (29-06-16)

Thanks

But would spending 300 on loft insulation And fitting that do me any favours? Or should I just be putting the money to a decent air-con unit do the job?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,385 Times

Insulating your loft will rise temps, air con units blow hot air out so if not vented out the room will rise temps, how big is your extraction fan and were do you pull your air intake from, also how many osolatin fans you have?

Sent from the cider groom

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 26,740 Times

You may be better off intaking air from outside, I intake from my chimney & also extract there too. I hit 31°c during the hot weather the UK had recently. I use a 10" tornado box fan, which is silenced using Bud Lightyears thread, for extract, & a 6" ruck for intake. My tent is very quiet & since the chimney work, I have had near perfect temperatures.

"Bees don't waste time explaining to flies why honey is better than shit."

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

I insulated my loft with two layers of 50 mm kingspan and plasterboard leaving a 50mm gap for my roof the breathe . 50mm from the bottom of the slate battons to the kingspan and then built a insulated room with in that room . I pull air from the coldest side of the house and extract air to the warmest side of the eves it basically is it's own environment and outside temps don't really affect it .

sent from mission control

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

ciderboy (29-06-16), Loki (29-06-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,586 Times

Remember you would have to add some kind of smell filtration to the exhaust on the air con unit too. Phresh do inline carbon filters.

Thanks

I run the chimney route too, the loft isn't insulted and temps were like 35 about 2 weeks ago.

Thanks

Professionally insulate your loft and get the air from the coolest place you can find, I've never tried this but i imagine if you were to get a small room or box/shed with an air con unit inside, cooling down a smallish space and getting your air intake from there. So basically if your plants are in a well insulated loft grow room that is drawing air from your average air conditioned spare bedroom i can't see how it would get too hot in there. Providing your exhaust air is going somewhere else too.