Thread: Did you know that NORML is completely partisan?

Thanks

Angry Did you know that NORML is completely partisan?

I don't know about all of you out there, but I never expected NORML (arguably the biggest marijuana-oriented organization in the US) to have made such an obvious shift in the support of Hillary Clinton. One of their most recent posts, "Looking past party conventions" (Currently the third post on their front page) has been arguably one of the most partisan articles I have ever seen from them. There is absolutely no reason for them to go after the third party Candidate Gary Johnson, who has had a very obvious history with marijuana, and poses no threat to direction of marijuana legalization our country WILL go in. This post was made by the old Keith Strout (Founder of NORML), and clearly has had no idea how obvious of a partisan display on norml that this recent post has had. With many combative replies to this post on their website, and only 15 shares for this post on facebook, its clear that this post didn't mesh well with most people.

There is much more I can say on my dissapointment with this topic, but much of it is expressed in the letter I wrote to them:

Hello,

The recent post on the NORML blog, "Looking past party conventions" has completely folded the historical opportunity NORML has had to impact the most historical election in history. This post was far too partisan in nature, and it completely confirmed that NORML (or Keith Stroup) is completely willing to compromise the integrity of the news reported by NORML by allowing such high-partisan statements that essentially mirror the DNC's "A vote for Gary Johnson is a vote for Donald Trump." They are saying the same thing about Johnson with Hillary on the other side of the isle. So this post, in particular, gives the impression that NORML is blatantly left, and will not shift in perspective in the slightest; even with a third party candidate with such a history with marijuana as Gary Johnson, will not receive the appropriate media analysis that should have very obviously been provided to him considering how renown of a marijuana-oriented organization that NORML is. There is a reason why on Facebook, this post only had 15 shares, and no comments that clearly supported the perspective it came from. It was an unattractive impression of NORML.

There has NEVER been as high unfavorable ratings on both sides of the political isle as there has been this election cycle with the current candidates that we have to choose from. So to bring up history, and say "Third party candidates have a terrible track record in this country" is a very arguably irrelevant comment considering the very unique condition that this election is already in, as well as the amount of young voters that are expected to be in higher volume than ever before. (And who are most of them looking to vote for? Oh that's right the marijuana candidate)

Lastly, you must know that there is NO real threat to the current momentum of the marijuana legalization that is already in place. The only true presidential candidate who was very affirmatively against it was John Kasich, and he's out. So once more, to give the perspective that a vote that doesn't go to Hillary, will compromise the (inevitable) course of marijuana legalization in this country, is completely misleading.

Gary Johnson is currently at 10-11% in most national polls. He needs 15% in at least 5 polls by the 15th of August. In my opinion, a fair, non-partisan, but relevant interview with Gary Johnson should be conducted considering his relation to marijuana and his upcoming potential role in this presidential election. For NORML to completely ignore the relevancy of Gary Johnson running for president, considering his marijuana history, could very well be the final confirmation that NORML subscribers need to be sure that NORML is a completely partisan organization. And if so, the word WILL be spread.

Thank you for your time

Thanks

I see where you're coming from and agree with you more or less. I think Strout posted his realist opinion on the topic. It may be that the only presidential candidate against legalization was Kasich, but a republican white house combined with a republican senate (full of people very against cannabis) would be fairly disastrous for cannabis laws, among many other things. This is the only reason to vote for Clinton.

I personally hate both mainstream candidates. Like you said, most do. People are scared and are willing to go for neoliberalism because it's the only alternative to neofacism. Obviously that's the only way Clinton could get this far (that and cheating).

Life will go on.
    What Peace is Growin
    Peace, Love, Unity