Thread: Cloning without a medium - transplanting to Aqua Farm

Thanks

Default Cloning without a medium - transplanting to Aqua Farm

Howdy. I took 10 cuttings today to keep a mother in an aqua farm. I've decided to root them without any medium in an X-Stream propogator using just the neoprene collars and no rockwool.

Will the one I decide to keep ( if any of them root ) be OK to be transplanted straight into washed and Ph'd clay pebbles once it's ready, with just bare roots showing ? Or will it have to be put in a medium of some sort some how ?

I went with the aeroponic bare root method as it seems so much easier than messin with rockwool and making sure you don't get it too wet or too dry. This way you cut, clone gel, bung it in a collar and turn the sprayer on.

I was 1 week into flip doing this aswell, my timing sucks, but didn't have the time to rearrange my room for the other tent and set it all up.

I put 20ml of Rhizo into 12 litres of water, and gave them a weak foliar of Kelp, and B-Vitamins.

Cheers

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Huktonfoniks For This Useful Post:

ERBURT (20-08-16)

Thanks

I use the X-Stream propagator too and you should have no problems getting roots 7/12 days. However if you want to put one in clay pebbles I would let the roots get quite big on that clone, 21/28 days in prop. you need to be careful when you transplant that clone to the pebbles, It's easy to damage the roots. The way I did it was bury my hand up to my wrist in the stones then open the hand and lower clone into it, then gentle removing my hand allowing the walls to slowly collapse around the roots.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Smiffy For This Useful Post:

Huktonfoniks (20-08-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smiffy View Post
    I use the X-Stream propagator too and you should have no problems getting roots 7/12 days. However if you want to put one in clay pebbles I would let the roots get quite big on that clone, 21/28 days in prop. you need to be careful when you transplant that clone to the pebbles, It's easy to damage the roots. The way I did it was bury my hand up to my wrist in the stones then open the hand and lower clone into it, then gentle removing my hand allowing the walls to slowly collapse around the roots.

Nice one Smiffy, sounds about as right as it can get, I'll try and get some help doing it, 4 hands would be better than 2 at this.

I'll update as they go, and when I've decided on a keeper, took 5 SLH and 5 Dinafem cheese/OG Kush, and will take the better of the 2 plants as they get into flower, and the better of the 5 cuttings.

Appreciated mate, ty

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Huktonfoniks For This Useful Post:

Smiffy (20-08-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,371 Times

Yer man been using these for a few years now..
    Love'm
    Like smiffy says, i am with that technic to protect the roots and repot.

I take a few pebbles out first and then scrape one side of bucket pebbles to one side and with other hand i lower the cutting's roots to bottom of bucket and then raise and move net pot to centre and as i do pebbles fall over roots and it is centered and roots are in flood zone.
    I also take of collar and then i put a few pebbles in net pot before putting them in the bucket.
    The above is just opinion..My opinion is law in my world..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy roken For This Useful Post:

Smiffy (22-08-16)

Thanks

i use an aero cloner too.
    when a scrape the stems of the cuts i do only the bottom 10mm of the stem, to encouraje the roots to develop outwards as well as downwards
    i put them under only 40w of CFL, for about 6 weeks, and this means that they are still fairly small when the others are finished, for transplant. Chanje out the nutes every couple of weeks for fresh.
    When i transplant them i just put a layer of clay pebbles to the bottom of the net pot,place rooted clone to bottom of pot then back fill it slowly by hand.
    Last edited by badbillybob; 22-08-16 at 10:36 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to badbillybob For This Useful Post:

Huktonfoniks (23-08-16), Smiffy (22-08-16)

Thanks

Once i pulled off a branch and dipped it into my bubbler pots clay pebbles with the water up high. It rooted perfectly it just took some extra time. If it had been in a humidity dome it would have been quicker. It was just an experiment while i vegged and turn out great.