Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: LED Lights

Thanks

Default LED Lights

I am sure this has been asked so many times but I really couldn't find a guide etc here and seen most people mention HID and CFL lights.

Having never grown before I am I thresher in LED as they seem to use much less power and produce a lot less heat but cost more.

Can they really match the old HID lamps? What are the downsides of LED? I'm not sure why I havnt seen more people use them here.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrGundam For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-12-16), nevanayno (28-08-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,977 Times

No chance if its your first run go for something like a 80 x 80 tent or bigger, a lumatek and a wilma.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BritishBotanics For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-12-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrnice22 View Post
    No chance if its your first run go for something like a 80 x 80 tent or bigger, a lumatek and a wilma.
    Sorry no chance what? Of matching HID growth rate?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MrGundam For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-12-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,977 Times

Quote Originally Posted by mrnice22 View Post

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BritishBotanics For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-12-16)

Viz Guest

Yes that is what he is saying. There is no chance of one of the economy LED lamps producing or matching the growth of a HID at all.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Viz For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-12-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Viz View Post
    Yes that is what he is saying. There is no chance of one of the economy LED lamps producing or matching the growth of a HID at all.
    I kind of disagree with this.
    Ive seen LED's far outperforming HIDs but as you stated 'economy LED's' I cant really say as I have experience with budmaster who are anything but economy lol.
    LEDs are the way forward. Just remember if you grow with LEDS the dame as you would grow with HID you wont get the potential. Like chalk and cheese are HIDS and LEDs for me

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nevanayno For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-12-16), I'm Sal (11-12-16), UK Elvis (22-02-17)

Thanks

Sorry I should have said I am willing to put upto around 600 - 800 for an led if it really can match HID, be used for the full grow and will last.

I do appologise, I am very new to all this but wanted to sound put opinion on LED as I wasn't sure why more people are not using it. I see a lot of money spent on cooling or IR protection but then use HID. On paper if LED can match it seems a no brainer so wondered what I'm missing.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrGundam For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-12-16), kbag (28-08-16), nevanayno (28-08-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrGundam View Post
    Sorry I should have said I am willing to put upto around 600 - 800 for an led if it really can match HID, be used for the full grow and will last.

I do appologise, I am very new to all this but wanted to sound put opinion on LED as I wasn't sure why more people are not using it. I see a lot of money spent on cooling or IR protection but then use HID. On paper if LED can match it seems a no brainer so wondered what I'm missing.
    In my opinion a lot of people stick with HID as it a case of ''if it isnt broke''. Growing under LED is VERY different to growing under HID so you kind of have to learn how to grow again. This can be off putting for some people and also means that at first some people dont get the returns from LED that they did with HID due to the new learning curve.
    I use the budmaster GOD which cost £1500 for the 9 panel.You can get some cheaper models from budmaster but they arent as effective as the GOD. I see that some people on here use the Mars panels but I have absolutely no idea how they compare. Im thinking of getting more LEDs so I would love to know how the mars and other chinese brands compare to the budmaster.
    To be fair for that money I would expect you could get a decent LED. Shit Ive had my budmaster over 2 years now I think so Im pretty certain the chinese would have copied the tech by now. Its just the quality of the parts and how long ti will last that would worry me about the chinese ones.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nevanayno For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-12-16), kbag (28-08-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 9,472 Times

Leds have their pro's and cons the same as hps has its pros and cons. I see a lot growers on the web going down the Cree CBx 3070 and 3590 cob root and doing diy builds and seem to be doing well with them. i think the led is great for summer growing as they run a lot cooler. In the winter you have to supplement them a heater or a hps to keep temps up when lights are on. Of course when lights are off in the winter you often need the heater anyway.
    The Led market is a bit of a mine field to say the least. If you have 700-800 spend im sure you get a decent led that will produce some nice bud.
    My advice to you is to do plenty of research before parting with hard earned cash.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kbag For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 9,472 Times

Quote Originally Posted by nevanayno View Post
    In my opinion a lot of people stick with HID as it a case of ''if it isnt broke''. Growing under LED is VERY different to growing under HID so you kind of have to learn how to grow again. This can be off putting for some people and also means that at first some people dont get the returns from LED that they did with HID due to the new learning curve.
    I use the budmaster GOD which cost £1500 for the 9 panel.You can get some cheaper models from budmaster but they arent as effective as the GOD. I see that some people on here use the Mars panels but I have absolutely no idea how they compare. Im thinking of getting more LEDs so I would love to know how the mars and other chinese brands compare to the budmaster.
    To be fair for that money I would expect you could get a decent LED. Shit Ive had my budmaster over 2 years now I think so Im pretty certain the chinese would have copied the tech by now. Its just the quality of the parts and how long ti will last that would worry me about the chinese ones.
    Funny you mention the Budmaster God series just looking on there website if the data is correct they nearly match a 600w hps in umols at 30cm and more penetration as the distance gets further away.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kbag For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast