Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: First time growing, how do they look?

Thanks

Default First time growing, how do they look?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pellets.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	330934Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4babies.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	330935Click image for larger version. 

Name:	growlight.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	330936

Hey everyone, first time growing indoors and looking for some criticism and advice. Started with seeds from an outdoor plant that hermied and I'm hoping it doesn't effect the outcome, but I really don't know... germinated them in the pellets and these 4 started in about 2 days, they're on day 3-4 now. I just took them out of the tray and put them under led lights today. I made the lights myself from looking at designs online, this seemed pretty common so I figured I'd try it. Each board is around 85-95watts. I use an organic potting soil with no additives, no nutrients or anything and the cups have 5 holes drilled in the bottom which drains 15 to 20%. Temp is pretty consistent around 81f and humidity between 55 and 65% for now. I'm going to try the straw method to hold up the stems and put clear bottles over them for humidity domes. They all grew very long stems (3-5in) and one folded over completely
    What do y'all think so far?, any changes need to be made? Like I said, first time grow and I'm looking for all the advice I can get... I've done decent research but nothing is better than people giving their advice during the process... and from what I've seen this is one of the best places to go, so thanks in advance everyone!!!
    I have a few more still germinating, so I have some wiggle room if need be... let me know what y'all think!

Thanks

How close are your LED to your seedlings... reason I ask is if your little seedlings are stretching 5" sounds like they are chasing the light. Personally I'd try an get your lights right up close... I've never used LED lighting so not sure on just how hot they would run
    GINGERS ROCK

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dredlock For This Useful Post:

rockhopper (25-08-16)

Thanks

First thing to do mate, get them out of the clear cups, the roots need to be in the dark.
    Most LED light that I know need to be a good distant from the plant especially with them being so young, you may find the lights to strong for them at this stage. I would re pot them and add a little more medium to support the stems, move the lights to a meter or more away from them.

I don't like the idea of led for this stage of life, I think you would be better off with some household bulbs close to them then move them under led at a later stage.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smiffy For This Useful Post:

Dutchcourage (25-08-16), rockhopper (25-08-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smiffy View Post
    First thing to do mate, get them out of the clear cups, the roots need to be in the dark.
    Most LED light that I know need to be a good distant from the plant especially with them being so young, you may find the lights to strong for them at this stage. I would re pot them and add a little more medium to support the stems, move the lights to a meter or more away from them.

I don't like the idea of led for this stage of life, I think you would be better off with some household bulbs close to them then move them under led at a later stage.
    He doesn't have them in clear cups, he has created a home made propagator using clear pots

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dredlock View Post

He doesn't have them in clear cups, he has created a home made propagator using clear pots
    Clear cups/Clear pots, wtf is the difference. Look like party cups to me.
    Unless those POTS are below the surface of the light and it the dark, it will damage the root growth.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Smiffy For This Useful Post:

Dredlock (25-08-16), Dutchcourage (25-08-16), rockhopper (25-08-16), Sonus Animus (25-10-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smiffy View Post
    Clear cups/Clear pots, wtf is the difference. Look like party cups to me.
    Unless those POTS are below the surface of the light and it the dark, it will damage the root growth.

Edit I didn't see his pics .. I was going by his post and yeah agree he needs to get shot of the clear cups...
    Last edited by Dredlock; 25-08-16 at 02:48 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dredlock For This Useful Post:

Smiffy (25-08-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,965 Times

Pics 2 & 3 clearly show the seedlings in transparent plastic party drinks cups! Once the roots fill out and reach the sides of the cups the roots will degrade, hence Smiffy's point about transplanting 'em into something light can't penetrate!

ATB

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rockhopper For This Useful Post:

Dutchcourage (25-08-16), Smiffy (25-08-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,885 Times

That first pic has way too much moisture for me. It's important but that looked very wet.

windowsill propagator always does me fine for Summer germination. Keep it just damp enough for the propagator to do it's job, Leave it there until the first true leaves are formed and the roots showing at the base than pot up and under the lights they go.
    Sent using a rudimentary device
    https://s32.postimg.org/5nlg414id/bunt_funk.jpg
    Current Grow:Super Critical Bud CBD. Diary here
    Last Grow: Green Love Potion & BlackJack
    Completed Diary: Cali Orange, Coco here.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FunkyB For This Useful Post:

Dredlock (26-08-16), Dutchcourage (25-08-16), Smiffy (25-08-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

i use a T5 light on the very early days on mine as you can get it right up close and reduce the stretch. but... even if you get alot stretch it not end of world just when you repot bury the stem up abit. sorted. good luck bro

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

Dutchcourage (25-08-16), FunkyB (25-08-16), Smiffy (25-08-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,277 Times

Wot every one has said, if they are spindly weak and over wet, you might want to put holes in the cup bottoms for drainage, cover the sides of the pots with duct tape or anything dark, get some better light on them and not pot up till they are a bit more fit looking. Your call

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dutchcourage For This Useful Post:

Dredlock (25-08-16), joker_the_smoker (25-08-16), Smiffy (25-08-16)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast