Thread: plug and use fan speed controller

Thanks

Red face plug and use fan speed controller

hi, whats the best plug and use fan controller, I have a cheap one from the bay but it makes my fan hum like a harrier jump jet. it will have to be plug and use as I couldn't wire a plug, and wouldn't trust myself to even try. I have an RVK 6" with rhino pro carbon filter, but I need the fan to be a lot quieter.

The Aspie Toker Guest

Hi mate,

You need a variac, but most need some kind of wiring.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

rockhopper (25-08-16), the brit (25-08-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the brit View Post
    hi, whats the best plug and use fan controller, I have a cheap one from the bay but it makes my fan hum like a harrier jump jet. it will have to be plug and use as I couldn't wire a plug, and wouldn't trust myself to even try. I have an RVK 6" with rhino pro carbon filter, but I need the fan to be a lot quieter.
    Hi m8, as The Aspie toker says you will need a variac to stop the hum. Don't be worried about wiring it though, it will come with diagram to show you how, if you can use a screwdriver you can do it!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Furtive For This Useful Post:

the brit (25-08-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

got mine plugged in to GSE controller. this controls your intake/outtake by temps/RH. no hum tbh. worth money for sure

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

Smiffy (25-08-16), the brit (25-08-16)

Thanks

well my minds made up, after trawling through loads of posts I'm gonna order a variac fan speed controller. thanks everyone.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the brit For This Useful Post:

M_C (31-08-16)

The Aspie Toker Guest

well my minds made up, after trawling through loads of posts I'm gonna order a variac fan speed controller. thanks everyone.
    You won't regret it, esp if noise is an issue. I found it more important than a carbon filter.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

Solo Quin (23-10-16), the brit (30-08-16)

Thanks

hi Aspie yes noise is my main issue, are they hard to wire up as I'm not that confident with electrics thanks.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to the brit For This Useful Post:

The Aspie Toker Guest

hi Aspie yes noise is my main issue, are they hard to wire up as I'm not that confident with electrics thanks.
    They are not hard to wire up. Fiddly, yes. Well, it was for me as I have clubbing of the fingers, and my eyesight isn't as good as it was, but I still managed it.

I am timorous with such things as I've electrocuted myself so many times I've lost count. So if I can do it, I am sure you can.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

the brit (31-08-16)

Thanks

well my variac fan controller came today, £74.99 from flea bay fortunately I found a post on here from hazyhaze with a good picture showing how to wire it thumbs up to hazyhaze. its now wired up and working great with no hummm, so thanks everyone. what a great set of people on thctalk.
    Last edited by the brit; 31-08-16 at 05:59 PM.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the brit For This Useful Post:

joker_the_smoker (31-08-16), M_C (31-08-16)

The Aspie Toker Guest

Glad you know it's arrived, and that you've got it working. You'll be well pleased with that piece of equipment.

BTW, don't use it on your TV. It will not speed up or slow down programmes.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

the brit (03-09-16)