Thread: Led or t5 setup?

Thanks

Default Led or t5 setup?

Hi im starting a new grow and am wondering would i be better off with a T5 setup or LED i only have 60cm to work with but i cant let the electricity bill go up by much any advise guys? Would LED burn the plants at that height or would i get away with it ive seen people with pc grows using LEDs still not sure though...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SmallGrow420 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (31-08-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,618 Times

That's a very tough call as far as would a LED work in that situation. The lower-priced ones like the Mars will cause some bleaching at around 20-25 centimetres maybe even a little higher, then you could have about 20 centimetres of penetration for good thick buds. So you'd have to be able to grow and train your plant pot and all in the first 30-45 centimeters, and keep your light at the top of your space.

Ultimately, I think in that short a space you want to do something like a scrog and you can do a good scrog under T5 lights as well as led. If you had a little bit more height I would recommend jumping into LEDs all the way.

Maybe you should be thinking along the lines of an HID maybe 400 watts or 250 Watts somewhere in there. I don't really have a lot of experience with those smaller HIDs but I'm sure you'll find many guys coming along soon who do.
    "If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (31-08-16), joker_the_smoker (31-08-16), PeaceLoveUnity (31-08-16), SmallGrow420 (31-08-16)

Thanks

Has anyone else any info guys?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SmallGrow420 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (31-08-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,468 Times

What Jingo, YOP, and Thor said, you can't go wrong with there advice. What ever light you decide to use, I would just Supercrop them myself. JMO
    Last edited by GEORGE; 31-08-16 at 12:32 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

joker_the_smoker (31-08-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

never grown in such a small space but have seen a few people use the cfls in that kinda space. as jingo said said a 250w would be ideal but there chance even that will be to hot. think MC has done them in that small kinda space

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (31-08-16), PeaceLoveUnity (31-08-16)

Thanks

Gotta say, no experience with LED, just gonna tell you the pros and cons of the t5s. Will say that I'm fairly positive you need a lot of "head room" for an LED light to work correctly.
    I'm growing under t5HOs for flowering and vegging. These are brighter/more efficient than traditional t5s. a four foot four bulb light for veg and an 4 foot 8 bulb light for flower. Electric bill only went up by about $40 a month, and I'm running an air pump with 5 various fans running as well.

Used to keep the light about 12 cm from seedlings and now have it just 5cm from the tops of the mature flowering plants. This is possible because the t5HO's put out relatively little heat, which is reduced to nothing by a single oscillating fan. SO these would be perfect for your space if you find a small enough one to fit, which is possible.

Either way with so little room your best bet will be to thread your plants through a screen as Jingo said to get the most out of them and to keep them within the necessary height restrictions. This would be especially important with t5's as their light doesn't penetrate as much as LED or HID lighting, and thus needs to be kept close to maximize efficiency.

People seem to have more than adequate results with them when they really train their plants and keep the light distance short.

best of luck
    What Peace is Growin
    Peace, Love, Unity

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeaceLoveUnity For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (31-08-16), joker_the_smoker (31-08-16)