Thread: The real 'Gateway' drug!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,269 Times

Default The real 'Gateway' drug!

Lot of noise coming out of the US at the moment about - I think mostly because it's starting to impact upon white, middle class America rather than any overiding sense of social moral need, but essentially there is a growing number of herion addicts whose journey to addiction began with being excessively prescribed opiate-based pain meds post-surgery/injury, etc. It seems the practice reached something of a zenith in the late 90's early 2000's, however, rather than relieve the problem, stricter rules on prescription simply left a lot of people, who had become heavily dependant on the prescribed meds, unable to get their 'fix' and turning to heroin.

But that alone wasn't enough to raise the serious objections - not until the widespread arrival of fentanyl - an opiate based med alleged to be something like 50-100 times stronger than heroin, now being illegally used as a means of boost the potency of street heroin and causing a ridiculous spike in cases of overdose, quite often in reasonably affluent neighbourhoods and communities.

The BBC has been running a report and an associated podcast and TV report on the situation;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37224075

So it turns out all these years that weed has been villainized as a potential gateway drug, despite being non-addictive, impossible to overdose on and reckoned by many chronic pain sufferers as the best painkiller you can get, the real gateway drug that leads to a live of a being junkie and possibly winding up dead from a overdose, is the perfectly legal shit that you can get from the doctor if you badly sprain your ankle playing sports!

So - I'm growing a weed plant in my utility cupboard - and legally I'm the bad guy. The mind boggles.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mysticjim For This Useful Post:

British green (02-09-16), Hippy Crack (02-09-16), matts.fish (02-09-16), M_C (02-09-16), noodle (28-12-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,625 Times

In states that went legal Medical in the US, there's a drop-in opioid prescriptions an opiate-based deaths. They're really starting to get the idea that hey cannabis actually is a medicine a pain reliever in it can help reduce some of the worst drugs.
    "If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

British green (02-09-16), Gaspode (02-09-16), Hippy Crack (02-09-16), matts.fish (02-09-16), noodle (28-12-16), Oxy (02-09-16), Skunky n funky (05-09-16)

Thanks

It is a ridiculous situation . I get 80 tablets a month. Dr won't prescribe more because of the risks and because I'm on them likely for the rest of my live. To get more or stronger I'd need to be terminal. It's not helped by the surgery getting pulled because they have created that many addicts in the area by previously prescribing them willy nilly, so they are especially cautious now.

Weed works many times better with none of the risks.

But the worst is the attitude of Jobcentre staff who have the opinion I should just forgo the risks and pester the Dr until he gives me enough to work. Some don't care or understand that they are putting pressure on people to risk being junkies just for some minimum wage shitty job.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ManiacalCrab For This Useful Post:

Hippy Crack (02-09-16), matts.fish (02-09-16), mysticjim (05-09-16), noodle (28-12-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,676 Times

I watched a documentary on oxy codone, the chemist on there said it's basically pharmaceutical heroin.
    They have a huge problem over in Florida with the whole prescription and doctor shopping, the doctors even advertise in the magazines over there, frightening really that the government let's all this happen, legal drug dealing on a huge scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hippy Crack For This Useful Post:

noodle (28-12-16), Skunky n funky (05-09-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,625 Times

Most doctors don't have a clue how to prescribe narcotics. One of the times I broke my back I had a doctor that ramp me up on a hundred and sixty milligrams Oxycontin 60 milligrams of Norco a day.

All because the guy didn't really even know how to prescribe. The problem was he thought the Oxycontin was a 12-hour drug and it really isn't for most people is supposed to be that but for some people it's not. Some people's better to prescribe it every 8 hours at a low dose if they have done that I could have got by with 15 milligrams of Oxy Cotton.

Anyway, at the end of the day it was up to me to figure out how to get myself off and that was a real f****** b**** but with time and effort I know you can figure out how to do it.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Hippy Crack (02-09-16), noodle (28-12-16), Skunky n funky (05-09-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,371 Times

From what i have read on this small town America has been riddled with opiate-based deaths for a few years now..
    They say it started in the big Appalachian communities, no surprise thats full off English,Irish,Scottish and welsh immigrants form 200 years ago..
    The 'hilly billy heroin' OxyContin was given out like sweets..
    It's happen before and it will happen again..
    Look at the rolling stones song Mothers little helper out in 1966..
    I belive they should of offically prescribed another 7 pills to come of valium aka diazepam..
    Thats when they handed them out to people in the 70's like water from a tap..
    The above is just opinion..My opinion is law in my world..

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy roken For This Useful Post:

noodle (28-12-16), Skunky n funky (05-09-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,269 Times

Cheers for the above additional insight and opinions, people. What a truly, crazy and tragic situation.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mysticjim For This Useful Post:

noodle (28-12-16)