Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about soil pot to hold plant and root direction.

Thanks

Default Question about soil pot to hold plant and root direction.

Hey guys, not sure if I'm posting in the right category, hopefully if not an admin can move this. I'm planning on starting my first grow in a month and needed advice on the container to hold my soil. I want atleast 3 gallons of soil because I have a grow box that is only 30 inches tall and only 15 inches wide and I'm planning on only growing one plant at a time. I'm hoping to train it well make this one plant develop many colas. This is excluding the seedlings in solo cups whose sex I wont be able to determine right away. They're bag seeds that were embedded within the nugs.

So my question is do I need a more or less vertical pot? Or can I use something like a Styrofoam box (mini cooler I will shorten down) that is wider? What direction do the roots grow in? Will they evenly disperse throughout the wider box or will they mostly travel downwards? I don't actually have my grow box yet so I won't know if the soil box will be wider than it is tall to hold the amount of soil I need. I just want to shave as much height off my pot so that the plant can grow as tall as possible, and I know an overly tall pot will limit this. Let me know if I'm misunderstanding anything.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedgrunt For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-09-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,120 Times

Roots like to grow down but grow pretty evently to the container given.... That's a pretty small grow so you will need to be cautious of stretching the plant much. Make sure she gets proper lighting, this includes seedling stage. Topping and LST combination will be your best friend in order to keep things short. CFL's are about your only option just so you know. Get a couple of fans in there for cooling.
    Coco Scrog with a mix bag COMPLETE 32.8 OZ's------

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ja-Take-2-Coco

Murdocks special blend x2 COMPLETE 6.6oz's

[url]https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?132905-Skunky-s-Bag-Seed-Extravagonja[url]

SCROG and LST 3 plants COMPLETE 10.5 OZ'S

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d-Extravagonja

Check out the single mainlined Nitro Lemon Haze mentored by the mad scientist Dexter. COMPLETE 5.5 OZ's

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...lp-From-Dexter

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skunky n funky For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-09-16), Wastedgrunt (06-09-16)

Thanks

It uses cfl lights, it says 2 for veg stage and 2 for flower, not sure if there's an actual difference in the bulbs however. Why do you say cfls are the only option though? What do you mean by stretching? Like when the lights are too far away? What will happen if it stretches, to much vertical growth? There's a built in fan but if temperature gets too warm I was thinking about a mini fan to place inside it, or if too cold (it will be in basement part of the time) a mini heater.

So essentially as long as I cover the base of my growing box with the soil box decently the roots should spread out evenly until they reach the walls of the soil box? I just want to make sure I'm not wasting space because the roots fail to fill out the soil in box horizontally.
    Last edited by Wastedgrunt; 05-09-16 at 05:43 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wastedgrunt For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-09-16), Skunky n funky (05-09-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,120 Times

Again the roots will want to grow down and prefer downward growth but they will fill it in horizontally. As far as the cfls the reason I say it's your only option is because of height issues with heat and what not. LEDs need a lot of distance between them and the plant while hid lights put out a lot of heat. Do some research on the internet about what cfls u will want. There is a difference in both the amount of output and the spectrum/ color they put out. If you stretch your plant you will get to much vertical growth which you don't want.... U need to top nice and early get the plant into two main stems and train those two to keep u within limits of your box... Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skunky n funky For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-09-16), Wastedgrunt (06-09-16)

Thanks

Yes it does help. You've answered my primary question. Of course, there's always more questions. I'm actually hoping to use the cfls to make my grow box hotter. So they're still full spectrum, just more or less blue or red light? The problem is the site I got them from wasn't real specific. It didn't even include wattage so I may need to get more powerful ones if they are too low. The light is adjustable but I can always stack books or something to make the plant closer to the light. I'm hoping that's enough to stop the stretching.

I know this is a different issue I can research on my own, but with a seedling would you say its fine to top more than twice?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedgrunt For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-09-16)

Thanks

You may want to start more than one incase it's male .

12. The Following User Says Thank You to glenn For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-09-16)

Thanks

Yea I'm germinating only maybe 4 seeds at a time as I don't want to have to throw away a female if I end up with say 2 of them. I'll have maybe 4 seedlings growing after non-viable seeds are thrown away. This is more of a question for when I choose a female to get transplanted what shape container will be ideal. I'm hoping the have the floor space of my grow box covered by this container. I could post a link when I've posted more on this forum as to what the grow box is, or just break up the link but I don't want to piss off any moderators. It's specifications I think I mentioned earlier, 30 inches tall 15 inches wide and 15 inches deep.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedgrunt For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-09-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Wastedgrunt View Post
    I could post a link when I've posted more on this forum as to what the grow box is, or just break up the link but I don't want to piss off any moderators.
    Don't even go there!
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-09-16), Skunky n funky (06-09-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,618 Times

Everybody likes photos when you get enough posts just give us some pictures.
    "If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-09-16), M_C (06-09-16), Skunky n funky (06-09-16)

Thanks

Alright well this will be a process that will still take a week to set up, and then maybe another few weeks until I choose a plant. And yeah, it's obviously better for me to stay a member than post a link just to give an idea of what I'm working with. I promise I'm not trying to give anyone a virus lol.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wastedgrunt For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-09-16), Skunky n funky (06-09-16)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast