Thread: expected growth with a 150w LED

Thanks

Default expected growth with a 150w LED

i've been using a mars hydro led 300w and i'm very happy with it... good green healthy plants and potency. i'm not sure what a higher watt can do, but with low heat consumption that's how i like it. i've never had a knock at the door after hearing helicopters in the area. but anyway i read that thermal imaging detects large grow rooms and not small set ups

ok, so i've also got a platinum 150w lying around and hooked it up to my new tent to give it a go. my aim is to grow 4 plants under this light and wondered if 150w would be adequate? should i be using the 300w? the platinum has a choice of using one side light range for veg and the other half for bloom, and a choice to run both at the same time.. i think i'll just keep both veg and bloom on throughout the duration of the grow for maximum 150w light.. i'll be growing autos anyway

so what do you reckon? i'm a good with just the 150w for 4 plants? the size of the tent is 80cm square and 180cm height

2. The Following User Says Thank You to federali For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-09-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,471 Times

Cool

Well I am pulling 165W from my 220 soliarflair, and I pull 1 gram a watt with just one plant, don't know about doing 4 at one time, but sounds interesting. I have however done two NLH and pull 5oz each, for a total of 10oz, which up the gram per watt but with two plants, so 4 plants should do you well. Here is a picture of my 6 oz MEDUSA.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hotshot5.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	331936  

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

B.A.BARACUS (12-09-16), Lowrollerbean (06-10-20), M_C (12-09-16)

Thanks

hey hotshot, that's a healthy looking grow and you're getting decent yield as you've described. now that i'm logically thinking about it i reckon 4 plants should be good under a single 150w. given that i've got a decent height to raise the light to get even distribution. plus the plants will be close together

by the way, i did manage to veg 5 plants under my 300 watt inside a smaller space, but the headroom sucked and when it came to flowering the colas got scorched from the lights, and parts of the plant that didn't get enough light didn't flower too well... and 2 plants died by getting no light. not sure if that was bad for the other 3 sharing the same hydro water where the roots of the dead plants become intertwined. overall yield was shit. for any new growers i'd stress that height is one of the most important variables to consider

i could always use the 300 watt in my new space... it's just that the platinum 150 looks so sexy and i haven't used it yet

i guess i need more education on the varying wattage and area to really understand it better. still trying to get my head around why you'd need a really high wattage
    Last edited by federali; 12-09-16 at 03:37 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to federali For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-09-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,471 Times

Quote Originally Posted by federali View Post
    hey hotshot, that's a healthy looking grow and you're getting decent yield as you've described. now that i'm logically thinking about it i reckon 4 plants should be good under a single 150w. given that i've got a decent height to raise the light to get even distribution. plus the plants will be close together

by the way, i did manage to veg 5 plants under my 300 watt inside a smaller space, but the headroom sucked and when it came to flowering the colas got scorched from the lights, and parts of the plant that didn't get enough light didn't flower too well... and 2 plants died by getting no light. not sure if that was bad for the other 3 sharing the same hydro water where the roots of the dead plants become intertwined. overall yield was shit. for any new growers i'd stress that height is one of the most important variables to consider

i could always use the 300 watt in my new space... it's just that the platinum 150 looks so sexy and i haven't used it yet

i guess i need more education on the varying wattage and area to really understand it better. still trying to get my head around why you'd need a really high wattage
    Look at it on a 1 gram per watt basi. That is very good for any LED. If you are pulling 165w like my self you would be getting about 165 grams from one plant, Than if I was to use a 550W which is about 330w from the wall, my over all grow would double to 330 grams if I maintain the 1 gram per watt.

Viz Guest

There are of course many other factors that are going to influence your total output of product. The wattage of the lights alone are just one small part of that. You will most likely find that there is a sweet spot between watts and grams and going larger starts resulting in diminishing returns. The only way to find out of course is to do it and see. More plants, more lights means changes to the growing environment too so bare that in mind as well mate. Enjoy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Viz For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-09-16)