Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Can Anyone Identify My Pest

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    I'm not really a hydro guy but yes, overfeeding them could give them a similar look...
    I'm confused as to how over feeding can result in this sort of leaf loss. It's not as though the leaves' edges or the spots turn yellow/necrotic then break away leaving holes and deteriorated edges. This happens overnight (when the lights are off). In fact one of my plants is now showing minor nitrogen/potassium deficiencies (easily corrected, but a sign that over feeding is not a problem). If the leaves look dark it is because of my camera and/or your screen. Also cut leaves get dark really fast and the pictures show leaves that I pruned to get a better picture in more natural light. LED's distort color significantly.

In any case, I can't tell you all how appreciative I am for your many responses. It's really great to have a community like this to turn to for advice. Please keep the comments coming!

Thanks!
    Nick

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mybishi For This Useful Post:

Jingo (24-09-16), M_C (24-09-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 9,472 Times

I think its over feeding to 1200- 1300 ppm is a very high feed level on the hanna scale that would give you a EC of 2.4.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kbag For This Useful Post:

Jingo (24-09-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kbag View Post
    I think its over feeding to 1200- 1300 ppm is a very high feed level on the hanna scale that would give you a EC of 2.4.
    As stated before, this nutrient regime has worked well with these genetics, and in this setup, for several generations. 1200ppm (500 scale) is not high at the start of the week for a 6' plant in a 20 gallon DWC reservoir, that drinks through 5 gallons every 3 days, and gets topped off with ph'ed RO daily. There is only one variable: bugs that can easily get in to the room, unfortunately (old house). Let's agree to disagree and pretend that it is a bug, and then try to identify it. I finally got some more pyrethrin in the mail (I was out at the time of the original post), and after spraying, the damage has stopped entirely. So, what was the bug?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,625 Times

A little clearer picks would help. In your first pick there are some black spots. Seem to be too many diff sizes to be feces or bugs. looks almost like a fungus just starting.

Some of your later leaves have damage across viens and in between.

Most bad canna pests prefer one or the other.

Catapillers come to mind for that type of damage.

I think our total dissolved solids scale may actually transfer over a 1/2 scale rather than double as Kbag was thinking. So you might be an EC of .6-.7

I rarely went above 800 total dissolved solids when I was doing deep water culture with RO water. But, I know a lot of guys in the states go as high as you do without issue some go higher.

By the way I've been reading a little bit about supplementing with chloride when you use reverse osmosis water. It seems to be something that's useful to Coco Growers like myself but mandatory to hydro Growers. Nutrient companies aren't hip to that fact yet.
    "If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,779 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Mybishi View Post
    Let's agree to disagree and pretend that it is a bug, and then try to identify it. I finally got some more pyrethrin in the mail (I was out at the time of the original post), and after spraying, the damage has stopped entirely. So, what was the bug?
    OK, I'll run with you for this

Pyrethrinis is a good, all round bug killer. However I'm not sure if you should run a second dose of it after a certain timescale as some other bug killers recommend (be guided by the label, I suppose?). I've never had much in the way of bugs in my time of growing & I've tended to use Neem oil when required

The damage isn't confined so I would assume we are talking about an infestation rather than a single bug... I would rule out thrips & spidermite & look more towards a larger bug such as a caterpillar or some larger leaf muncher. I assume you have done a full check of the plants including under-leaf & nodes?
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

8. The Following User Says Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Jingo (25-09-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 9,472 Times

The leaves in the pics still look hot to me. If it is a bug i would say its a moth larva that is having a munch very hard to spot as they often camouflage themselves as the same colour of the plant.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kbag For This Useful Post:

Jingo (25-09-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jingo View Post
    A little clearer picks would help. In your first pick there are some black spots. Seem to be too many diff sizes to be feces or bugs. looks almost like a fungus just starting.

Some of your later leaves have damage across viens and in between.

Most bad canna pests prefer one or the other.

Catapillers come to mind for that type of damage.

I think our total dissolved solids scale may actually transfer over a 1/2 scale rather than double as Kbag was thinking. So you might be an EC of .6-.7

I rarely went above 800 total dissolved solids when I was doing deep water culture with RO water. But, I know a lot of guys in the states go as high as you do without issue some go higher.

By the way I've been reading a little bit about supplementing with chloride when you use reverse osmosis water. It seems to be something that's useful to Coco Growers like myself but mandatory to hydro Growers. Nutrient companies aren't hip to that fact yet.
    You've peaked my interest with the chloride for RO comment. Could you give me more details or a link? Using RO has proven difficult (although necessary because of the extremely hard water here). For example, not only can you not read ph with a meter in plain RO but RO also does not hold a ph well. So any insights into taming the wild RO would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Nick

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,625 Times

This should get you there

Thanks

You hit the nail on the head!!! It was moth caterpillars. They were running rampant in my outdoor veggie garden a couple weeks ago .they almost entirely destroyed my broccoli crop. They must have found there way inside. After the pyrethrin I found them balled up on the tent floor. There were only a few but they eat like crazy. You guys have earned my trust as some of you seem to know your stuff quite well! Thanks so much for the help.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mybishi For This Useful Post:

Jingo (03-10-16), kbag (04-10-16)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2