Thread: something i need clearing up about pot size and shape

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,704 Times

Default something i need clearing up about pot size and shape

hello tokers hope everyone is ok.
    i mentioned in a previous post that im thinking of doing a 1 or 2 plant scrog in a 2' x 2'6" tent
    now my question is, like trees does the root plan and shape of the roots effect the growth of the plant above, in other words, if i grew 1 plant vegged for a while in a wide rectangular pot would the plant take on a more naturally wider stance as its roots could get out to the sides further?
    sorry if im asking a daft question its just bugging me and i cant find an answer haha. also another question i have on the same subject is if i do end up going for 2 plants would i get away with planting 2 seedlings in the same aforementioned wide rectangular pot? or does it cause problems when the 2 root systems intertwine?
    im new to all this so sorry if im making my self sound stupid haha.

thanks for your help!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,866 Times

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

WADDIS (20-09-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,385 Times

I wouldn't put two seeds in a pot , just incase you run into problems with one plant, one plant might need more feed and so on, also pot size is recommended buy how long you veg for , you want the roots to fill the pot so it takes all the feed you give it, 10 lt pot I'd say 3/5 weeks veg 15 lt pots 5/8 weeks veg I've done one in a 45 lt pot and was vegged for 12 weeks ! Hope that helps

Sent from the cider groom

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ciderboy For This Useful Post:

Greenfiend (26-10-16), WADDIS (20-09-16)

Viz Guest

I will address the second question. It is not a good idea to have two plants in the same container. The main reason is that each plant will have a unique feed need. So there is a possibility that by forcing both plants to have the same nutes you will damage one. Then there is the other issue of competition. The plants will compete for resource and space. One will win and the second one the loser will suffer as a result. And finally if something happens to one plant, disease or similar, and heaven forbid it does. You will have both plants infected before you know it. Keep them in one pot each, just safer all round.

Does type and shape of pot matter? Hmm not sure that is going to make all that much difference, I use Airpots and they make a difference but that is because of what they do to the roots. Someone else is going to have to help you further on that one mate.

Good luck.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Viz For This Useful Post:

Greenfiend (26-10-16)

Thanks

thanks buzz! the air pots look great! you've definitely won me over there i was just thinking a rectangular pot would be better for a rectangular scrog but its more about the training of the plant than the shape of the root system i guess! thanks for your help!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ciderboy View Post
    I wouldn't put two seeds in a pot , just incase you run into problems with one plant, one plant might need more feed and so on, also pot size is recommended buy how long you veg for , you want the roots to fill the pot so it takes all the feed you give it, 10 lt pot I'd say 3/5 weeks veg 15 lt pots 5/8 weeks veg I've done one in a 45 lt pot and was vegged for 12 weeks ! Hope that helps

thanks for the help ciderboy! im scrapping my 1 recangular pot idea and going to go for the 15l air pots i think. ive just been reading up on them and they seem amazing, healthy roots healthy plant seems to be the rule of thumb

10. The Following User Says Thank You to WADDIS For This Useful Post:

ciderboy (20-09-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Viz View Post
    I will address the second question. It is not a good idea to have two plants in the same container. The main reason is that each plant will have a unique feed need. So there is a possibility that by forcing both plants to have the same nutes you will damage one. Then there is the other issue of competition. The plants will compete for resource and space. One will win and the second one the loser will suffer as a result. And finally if something happens to one plant, disease or similar, and heaven forbid it does. You will have both plants infected before you know it. Keep them in one pot each, just safer all round.

Does type and shape of pot matter? Hmm not sure that is going to make all that much difference, I use Airpots and they make a difference but that is because of what they do to the roots. Someone else is going to have to help you further on that one mate.

Good luck.
    thanks for your reply Viz, its looking like 2 plants 1 pot is out of the question, so thanks for preventing me making that mistake. it just shows sometimes when you think you have a great idea you focus in and cloud your judgment because id not thought of anything you mentioned as being a problem but when you think about it of course the plants will compete, and you will always have a stronger more dominant 1 which could kill off the other plant!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to WADDIS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,385 Times

Quote Originally Posted by tetrahydracomplicated View Post
    thanks for the help ciderboy! im scrapping my 1 recangular pot idea and going to go for the 15l air pots i think. ive just been reading up on them and they seem amazing, healthy roots healthy plant seems to be the rule of thumb
    Bigger the root ball bigger the flowers !

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ciderboy For This Useful Post:

WADDIS (20-09-16)