Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rate my setup (First time grower)

Thanks

Wink Rate my setup (First time grower)

I've always wanted to grow my own weed since seeing my dad do it and I've researched the strain I wanted for the effects i desire.

I've gone with an Automatic Feminised Northern Lights from cannabis-seeds-store (the vault) to make my first grow easier. I'll be able to get a decent yield from my plant if I'm patient and pay close attention to what my plant is telling me.

I've gone with this setup:

A 600w HPS bulb (strong enough to get my babies strong)

HPS Reflector with ballast connector (gotta preserve as much light as possible, no wastage)

Lumii 600W Ballast (i opted out for the timer since I have 2 mains timers, even if one fails I've got a backup)

2 x 12L Pots (wanted her to grow to a decent size without many restrictions)

2 x Saucers (need to check those water levels right)

Bamboo Canes (every woman needs a little support in tough times)

Baby Bio (a little pep for her delicate phase, but not too much now)

Baby Bio Citrus (cheap but blooming lovely)

BioBizz 50L All-Mix Potting Soil Bag (Top quality soil, raving reviews from many growers, ph balancing too)

Insecticide Spray, 800 ml (Just incase those fuckers wanna fight)

24 Hour Segment Timer Switch(2) (18 on 6 off/12 on 12 off, I'm a little unsure on this one considering how I've read auto flowering can be lit 24/7)

2 Power Supply Adapter 12V AC DC 12V (Power for my fans, a bodge job that I picked up sneaking a look at my paps setup years ago)

4 120mm x 25mm PC fans (ventilation above and below)

Hygrometer (humidity and temperature control)

Electric tape (making my bodged fans safer)

22 Gauge electrical wire (3Mx2) (making sure my fans are powered with enough leeway to do their job)

Twist Ties (might end up pulling my plant down to produce more colas, or moving stragglers where I want them to be)

Spray Bottle (just incase i need to spray feed my plants)

Pruning Scissors (trimming off those suckers for bigger buds)

I've been sifting through all the techniques to maximise my yield but I think for now I'll stick to the basics until I have a greater understanding of how this strain reacts to different conditions.

So basically I've gone with a very budget setup that allows me to be prepared for almost any situation. The only thing I dont have yet is a way to contain my grow. I was thinking of either a grow tent or making my own from a single wardrobe. The main thing for me is maintaining a low profile. The missus doesn't like the idea of me growing weed but I go against her wishes anyway lol, her family are your typical play by the rules type who are scared of trivial things such as growing weed for personal use .

I will be sealing my setup up so no light gets out and painting the inside white if I choose to go with a cupboard setup and making my own carbon filter for the smell.

You can get away with growing 9 plants in the UK but there's still the risk of having your plants stolen (happened to my mate, thieves came disguised as policemen) and there's always the wanker police squadron who think its clever to waste time on personal growers.

I will be making a thread to showcase my first grow soon.
    Please give any input you can to improve my setup and any tips for starting my first grow. Thankyou.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 17,171 Times

How much space do you have fella?

600w is a strong light for young plants as well

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,882 Times

Ditto on the size of the grow room...

...and I think you'll find the Baby Bio & Baby Bio Citrus a poor choice of feed for your plants...
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

Thanks

No mention of carbon filter? inlet/outlet/fans?

I'm no expert....he is ^ but I heard he talks funny ; )

If they autos you probably know already that from seed they need to go straight into their final pot....no re-potting...they are not on a photo period so in theory 24/0 is acceptable but so is 18/6 or 20/4...give the bulb etc a rest (money) and let the plants grow more naturally...only my opinion but makes sense and saves you money same time eh?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Samwise Gamgee View Post
    How much space do you have fella?

600w is a strong light for young plants as well
    I'd say about 6 by 3 foot. How much space would I get away with if I only had 1 plant on the grow at a time?

Would I get away with positioning the light further away when my plants are in their early stages?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    Ditto on the size of the grow room...

...and I think you'll find the Baby Bio & Baby Bio Citrus a poor choice of feed for your plants...
    I know there's much better alternatives out there, especially the fox farms nutrients (drool), I'll invest in some when I get paid lol. Do you have any suggestions that are similar to fox farms but much cheaper?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mart_Aitch View Post
    No mention of carbon filter? inlet/outlet/fans?

I'm no expert....he is ^ but I heard he talks funny ; )

If they autos you probably know already that from seed they need to go straight into their final pot....no re-potting...they are not on a photo period so in theory 24/0 is acceptable but so is 18/6 or 20/4...give the bulb etc a rest (money) and let the plants grow more naturally...only my opinion but makes sense and saves you money same time eh?
    I'm making my own carbon filter lol and I'm using PC fans for my outlet and inlets.

Text isn't a very good indicator of how someone speaks lol.

Yeah I don't see how a few hours off are gonna affect the grow much considering they have been specially bred from plants that would have needed fluctuations in light cycles anyway. Its as simple as night and day ain't it?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,526 Times

Quote Originally Posted by lolklolkgf View Post
    I'm making my own carbon filter lol and I'm using PC fans for my outlet and inlets.
    In a 6ft x 3ft ur gunna need a few I have a 3x2 box n need 3 intake n 2 exhaust

Text isn't a very good indicator of how someone speaks lol.
    Maybe why the poster said "they HEARD"?

Yeah I don't see how a few hours off are gonna affect the grow much considering they have been specially bred from plants that would have needed fluctuations in light cycles anyway. Its as simple as night and day ain't it?
    The plants are auto which means they will grow and then when they are ready will go into flower themselves. I personally would run 18/6 to save electric. Again MC is the man to ask as he grows sum beastly autos the 600w will fry ur babies if u dont have ur temps sorted not to mention cost a fortune to run on 18/6, 20/4 or whatever you plan on doing. If u have a digital ballast turn it down n get a relevant wattage bulb save u fortunes in elleccy n help with groom temps too.
    Last edited by Ye Old Pioneer; 23-09-16 at 07:15 AM.

Viz Guest

With the Lumii digital ballest you have the option to set your output. 250w 400w and 600w so that should not be a deal breaker.

My biggest concern would be odour management. A pet worry of mine. Would love to see how you are building your own carbon filter, always keen to learn stuff.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,676 Times

Quote Originally Posted by lolklolkgf View Post
    I know there's much better alternatives out there, especially the fox farms nutrients (drool), I'll invest in some when I get paid lol. Do you have any suggestions that are similar to fox farms but much cheaper?
    One way of not spending a lot on nutrients is to use a good soil already loaded with nutrients some will see you good for five or six weeks depending on brand, you may still need feed near the end though, depending on how the plant feeds, just can't really say until you've done it, but she will tell you when she's hungry.
    Make sure you use a light mix for the babies though.

Just one of many options pal!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hippy Crack For This Useful Post:

Dutchcourage (23-09-16)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast