Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rate my setup (First time grower)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,551 Times

You will not keep any wardrobe cool running a 600W bulb with PC fans.

As Viz says, a dimmable ballast is a good idea so you can select a wattage that can be kept under control.

You can make your own carbon filter if you want (I wouldn't) but you NEED a half decent inline fan to keep the space cool and ensure sufficient air exchange.

4 or 5" inline fan and carbon filter would be good. I'd have these installed before turning on a 600W bulb. They're pretty damn hot.

As to rating your setup... 3 out of 10!
    Too weird to live, too rare to die

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cunning For This Useful Post:

lolklolkgf (23-09-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Viz View Post
    With the Lumii digital ballest you have the option to set your output. 250w 400w and 600w so that should not be a deal breaker.

My biggest concern would be odour management. A pet worry of mine. Would love to see how you are building your own carbon filter, always keen to learn stuff.
    Haha I decided to go with the 600w sunmaster ballast instead, came with a reflector aswell only £23 including p+p. I bought the wrong bloody reflector, cfl only lol, tried sending it back but would've cost £14 to return (no way). It cost me £18.88 to buy.

There's a few tutorials scattered around other forums and youtube. Take a look man!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,780 Times

I've had a mess about with home made filters in the past... do yourself a favour & buy a proper one!
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dick turpin View Post
    One way of not spending a lot on nutrients is to use a good soil already loaded with nutrients some will see you good for five or six weeks depending on brand, you may still need feed near the end though, depending on how the plant feeds, just can't really say until you've done it, but she will tell you when she's hungry.
    Make sure you use a light mix for the babies though.

Just one of many options pal!
    I picked up these babies today only a quid each...

1) Hydro Coco Grow 200ml

10-5-4
    Nitrogen 10
    Ureic nitrogen 7.8
    Ammonicial nitrogen 2.2
    Phosphorus pentoxide 5
    Potassium oxide 4

2)Hydro Coco Bloom 200ml

5-4-9
    Ureic nitrogen 2.7
    Ammoniacal nitrogen 2.3
    Phosphorus pentoxide 4
    Potassium oxide 9

As for the soil, BioBizz All Mix seems to have raving reviews everywhere. THe company itself claims the soil wont need any additional nutrients for a couple of weeks and also has a self regulating PH level (supposedly). I will be monitoring my plants anyway so I will be adding whats neccesary as I go along.

I cant wait to get started and possibly completely fail aswell lol.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lolklolkgf For This Useful Post:

Mart_Aitch (23-09-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cunning View Post
    You will not keep any wardrobe cool running a 600W bulb with PC fans.

As Viz says, a dimmable ballast is a good idea so you can select a wattage that can be kept under control.

You can make your own carbon filter if you want (I wouldn't) but you NEED a half decent inline fan to keep the space cool and ensure sufficient air exchange.

4 or 5" inline fan and carbon filter would be good. I'd have these installed before turning on a 600W bulb. They're pretty damn hot.

As to rating your setup... 3 out of 10!
    I'm scrapping the wardrobe idea and going with the grow tent after all. I cant decide between 140cm or a bit smaller for concealability. I don't have a clue how high my babies will grow. The supplier for my strain says 90-120cm so theres not much forgiveness in terms for distance from light with 140, I might go for 160 depending if I can reduce the length of my grow. Don't want em to burn and ruin.

I'm gonna take you're advice you old fucker, I'm a pretty stubborn kid like most 21 year olds, but I'm gonna hold back and buy this:

4"/100mm OX Carbon Filter and Extractor Fan Kit;

1x Turbo Inline Fan 100mm/4" RRP £29.99

5x Metres of 100m/4" Ducting RRP £9.95

3x Ducting Clips RRP £5.97

1x OX Carbon Filter 100x250mm £29.99.

This will set me up for a less stressful first grow and is going for £44.99 on ebay which is a lot cheaper than buying individually.

I'm so EAGER to start growing and trying to cut corners but I guess you cant argue with good advice from time tested growers! I have never been as excited to start anything. WOW!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lolklolkgf For This Useful Post:

Dutchcourage (23-09-16)

Viz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lolklolkgf View Post

There's a few tutorials scattered around other forums and youtube. Take a look man!
    Yeah there are heaps and very few of them are effective sadly, well good luck with your build mate. Hope it works out how you expect, and if it does do share with us please.

I have a thing about odour control, it is the biggest risk factor when growing your own. That lovely smell gets noticed by the postman, the bloke next door or even the folks walking past and some nob decides to make a phone call. Personally I bit the bullet and spent well on the carbon filter and extraction fan even if if meant my grow had to wait a month before I could start. For me, and this is only my view, it was well worth the wait.
    Last edited by Viz; 23-09-16 at 08:33 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Viz For This Useful Post:

M_C (23-09-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    I've had a mess about with home made filters in the past... do yourself a favour & buy a proper one!
    For my first grow I'm gonna buy one. I like to DIY everything, it gives you a sense of pride when it works just as well. For my next grow when I'm a little more confident in my skills, I'll make one. If that fails then I'll get some of those odour pots that remove the scent.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Viz View Post
    Yeah there are heaps and very few of them are effective sadly, well good luck with your build mate. Hope it works out how you expect, and if it does do share with us please.
    I'll be sharing even if it doesn't. Then we can all learn something can't we lol.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to lolklolkgf For This Useful Post:

Dutchcourage (23-09-16)

Viz Guest

For sure dude I totally admire your spirit and can do way of thinking so rock on dude. Oh one last thing, the odour pots you speak about what ever you do don't put them in your grow space with your plants. Not a good idea at all.

Thanks

Why's that Viz? or should I just take your word for it lol.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast