Thread: Mixing nutrients question ?

Thanks

Default Mixing nutrients question ?

Hi - little confused here - hope you can help...

I'm ready to purchase a dwc system that has 7x55litre buckets with a capacity of 385litres naturally. I want to add a float valve to the main 55litre reservoir with an additional 100litre water butt. Now - my question is how do you evenly mix the nutrients around the system - including the 100litre water butt? cheers..........

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 39,741 Times

Airstone pumps I should imagine.
    The flow of bubbles and water will keep it mixed
    And moving stopping any algae build up also

Autos
    Redemption Grow Take 2

Photo's
    Green lizard lick growing
    Exodus cheese exo-bition

THERE IS A STRICT 10 PLANT MAXIMUM RULE ON THIS SITE!.YOU WILL BE BANNED FOR BREACHING THIS!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ERBURT For This Useful Post:

mfm3677 (26-09-16)

Thanks

Hi - thanks for the speedy reply - yeah the system has an air pump/stones - its a dwc undercurrent so is a well circulated system. How would the nutrients mix into the additional 100litre water butt though?? I'm thinking of using a second pipe going back from the 55litre reservoir to the water butt with its own independent pump - but it would overflow if float valve is closed. An overflow pipe would have to be added. So three pipes going into and out of the water butt - one pipe from water butt to 55litre reservoir with float valve keeping a constant level - second pipe from with its own pump feeding from 55litre reservoir straight into 100litre water butt - then the overflow pipe from water butt back into 55litre reservoir. Seems complex though - not sure if this is the way its done - thoughts please anyone? cheers.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture10.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	332619
    Last edited by mfm3677; 26-09-16 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Add pic

Thanks

Just realized it wouldn't overflow - unless a blockage or float valve got stuck.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 39,741 Times

I'm not a water grower so can't really help
    But sure someone will be along to advise you : )

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 17,171 Times

I am not really sure what you mean, generally with hydro growing you need to do a complete res change at least once a week.

I have a 50 litre recirculating system, I also have a 60 litre water butt for res changes. I fill my 60 litre external water butt, and mix the nutrient in this, I then empty the res in the tent. I then just pump the feed from the water butt, into the res in the tent.

I have 1 x air stone in my water butt, and 4 air stones in my reservoir, so this keeps the nutrients well mixed

Hope this helps.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Samwise Gamgee For This Useful Post:

mfm3677 (27-09-16)

Thanks

Hi - thank you for the reply. Yes - what you describe is what I did with my first grow. I found that when root mass increased more frequent nutrient changes was required. However I want keep all of the roots submerged in nutrients all of the time using a float valve and second reservoir to keep the system topped up. This is why I would like the second reservoir to be able to mix its nutrients evenly into the main system. I don't think you can simply top up as the mix will be different? This is the confusing part lol.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mfm3677 View Post
    Hi - thank you for the reply. Yes - what you describe is what I did with my first grow. I found that when root mass increased more frequent nutrient changes was required. However I want keep all of the roots submerged in nutrients all of the time using a float valve and second reservoir to keep the system topped up. This is why I would like the second reservoir to be able to mix its nutrients evenly into the main system. I don't think you can simply top up as the mix will be different? This is the confusing part lol.
    I put a water pump in my res tank, turn it on when mixing nutrients up it works a treat.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jay jay For This Useful Post:

mfm3677 (02-02-17)