Thread: Converting shed for growing and wiring from consumer unit.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,993 Times

Default Converting shed for growing and wiring from consumer unit.

This is a small bit of help for anyone wanting to build a grow room out of a shed. This is for anyone with a CNE or PME type supply. You need to know what earthing supply you have (must). If you feel even slightly out of depth then please don't bother doing this, just pay the money out for a sparky.

My shed is 8ft x 6ft x 7ft apex. These dimensions and calculations will be different for different sheds / out buildings.

Lining the shed

I used 100mm kingspan/celotex boards 2224mm x 1222mm x 8
    OSB boards on top 2224mm x 1222mm x 18mm x 8
    box of 150mm screws and box of 120mm screws.
    2 x rolls aluminium tape

Tools needed are

Saw
    drill
    screwdriver bit
    set square

The noise level is minimal inside

pics

I also covered the shed with new felt on top of old felt. I left a gap between them to help with heat

Electrics.

I wanted my supply to be first and foremost safe!

I used

4mm 3 core steel armoured cable x 25m £55 @ screwfix
    1 x garage 3 way consumer unit with 40 a rcd and 1 x 32 amp breaker and 1 x 6 amp breaker.
    Also used a 40 amp 100ma double pole rcd in the house cu.

First i had to lay the cable down.

I dug as deep as i could bare into the garden and also layed along a path and covered back over with stones.

The shed end goes up into the roof and round into the CU. Terminated with a gland and bango for the armour casing. I have used 16mm cable as bonding from the banjo to the earth terminal.

The house end

I drilled a hole 2 feet deep through the main wall and fed the wire into the back of my existing house CU.

I then tested the sockets with a martindale type socket tester

I then tested the volt drop which was inconsequential

And also measured the earth fault loop impedance 0.35 ohms.

I used 2 rcd's 1 in the shed and 1 in the house, both rated at 40 amps but shed is 30ma and house is 100ma time so i have double protection and discrimination between house and shed.

I fitted a lighting circuit with 3 bulk head fittings @ 60w each for doing stuff without the glare of hps.

In terms of wiring, if your not sure of what to do then you shouldn't be doing it.....Your life and family depends on wiring correctly and safely.

Any questions or more to add then feel free. Hope this helps someone out..
    FORMERLY TOBYSMOKER

Big buddah cheese and blue cheese solo journey - https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ese-Round-Two-)

Big Buddah Blue Cheese & Cheese Mentored by Budlightyear! https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...-Bud-lightyear

BREAKS & BEATS FOR THE MUSIC PRODUCERS OUT THERE!!! - https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d-check-it-out

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SmobyToker#1 For This Useful Post:

Bubonik Chronic (27-09-16), Buster (29-09-16), ERBURT (28-09-16), ErroneousMonk (27-09-16), Ginger-bud (28-09-16), Type M (28-09-16), Valve man (13-10-16)

Thanks

Excellent thank you, gonna be a project of mine for the new year but at the moment probably thinking of employing a sparky, just too much too lose if I get it wrong

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ErroneousMonk For This Useful Post:

Buster (29-09-16), SmobyToker#1 (27-09-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,993 Times

All good mukka, you need any help give us a shout fella.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SmobyToker#1 For This Useful Post:

Buster (29-09-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 9,003 Times

Nice post mate for a minute there I thought you were in my shed ! I've done almost exactly the same set up and wiring. My only problem is that I connected it to the rcd protected side of my ccu and at the moment the ice maker on my fridge is causing nuisance tripping so I'm losing power to the shed every so often thankfully hasn't happened late in to flower ! Must get round to swapping it to the other side of the board. Good info mate

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ginger-bud For This Useful Post:

Buster (29-09-16), SmobyToker#1 (30-09-16)