Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hps vs led

Bulls Guest

Default Hps vs led

Good morning guys!
    As I promised I will share my thoughts of growing under LED and HPS.
    The strain is Incredible Bulk by Dr. Kripplings and in both grows I've used cuttings from the same plant.
    The comparison is between Mars 2 900w and 600w HPS(sunmaster dual spectrum bulb + lumatek dimmable ballast + 100cm parabolic reflector)
    (I must say that towards the end of the grow under LED I have added 250w hps for additional light and then a week after the LED died so the plants been finished under 400w hps)

LED True Watts: 450w+-5% used from the start
    HPS: 3 different sunmaster bulbs used: 250 w, 400w and 600w in flower. (to reduce energy costs)
    Feeding schedules: On the both grows been the same with the only difference that I haven't used Green Planet Massive on the HPS run.
    Veg time on both grows: 6 weeks
    Training methods used: LST and supercropping.

Just a comparison photo - These photos are both taken at Week 7 Day 3 after flip - The one on the left is grown under Mars 2 900w + additional 250w HPS and the one on the right under HPS 600 and parabolic shade.

I truly enjoyed growing this strain under both different lights. Considering I used 3 different bulbs during the HPS run I think the average electricity consummation is pretty much the same BUT. There is that big BUT. As I am growing in the attic the temperatures in the attic can drop a lot. Even with the lights on in the winter I had temperatures under 19-20 degrees. So I had a fan heater wired to my controller to kick in every time the temperatures dropped under 22. You can imagine that the fan heater was pretty much constantly on and that increased my electricity consummation big time.

Light spread - as the MARS 2 900 was advertised to cover my grow area which is 1.2 x 1.2 I don't think it really did. Maybe it needed just a bit more and it would fit perfectly in that size tent but there was some lack of light in the corners of the tent while the parabolic shade and the hps covered it perfectly.

Light penetration and bud density: I've used the same lollypoping technique 2 weeks after the flip on the both runs. I am against removing any fan leaves from the top of the canopy so I have only removed the lower 1/3 of the plant. I must say that the penetration of the HPS was much better than the one of the MARS. With the LED I had lots of fluffy lower growth(undeveloped buds) while with the HPS it was nice buds everywhere! And I mean everywhere!
    There was difference in the colas structure as well. HPS produced mostly 6 inch colas while the LED produced short bulky colas.
    Bud Density under LED I will rate 10 of 10. I truly is amazing. Rock hard nugs.. but on top of the canopy only. HPS imo is 9 of 10 but everywhere. Some people the crystals production under LED is much better than HPS.. I think this time with me was the other way round.

Something else I also noticed is that the stems of the plants were much stronger under HPS. I've used the same amounts of Liquid Silicone during both runs.

Yield: Both runs been chopped on week 8 at 100% cloudy trichomes. That's how I like my smoke. Unluckily I found some rot during the HPS grow and I had to bin between 14-28 grams of bud. The results were: LED - 581 grams HPS - 625. On average I will rate the bud quality under LED 6 of 10 and the hps 8 of 10(Allowing 2 points for my next grows so it can be perfect lol )

Photos just before chopping: LED on the left and HPS on the right

In general I think the LEDs have bright future ahead and maybe there are units on the market which are much better than the one I was using. The only thing is that they are very expensive. In a perfectly controlled environment I think they will perform great in future!

And should I say something about the HPS? Well I think you all know the answer - The oldschool methods still rock!

2. The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to Bulls For This Useful Post:

Bethmeg (06-10-16), BULLET (06-10-16), Buster (06-10-16), Dazmandaz (06-10-16), desolator (06-10-16), Dutchcourage (06-10-16), Easy-T (15-08-17), GEORGE (15-11-16), ggotch (15-11-16), Greengrass (14-08-17), Growler (06-10-16), Happy roken (07-10-16), ironjustice (17-11-16), Jesse Pinkman (06-10-16), lazor_ears (07-10-16), M_C (06-10-16), Northern (06-10-16), Oxy (06-10-16), Samwise Gamgee (06-10-16), The budda (06-10-16), Trex (15-11-16), Type M (06-10-16), uparoundthebend (17-11-16), walshy (15-08-17), Wutang22 (06-10-16), _teapot_ (06-10-16)

Hopper Guest

Old skool all the way! Especially considering a bit of how helped the LED grow

I just don't see the value with cost of led even considering hps extra kw usage

Love the exact time scale comparison pics dude

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hopper For This Useful Post:

BB (06-10-16), Buster (06-10-16), GEORGE (15-11-16), Greengrass (14-08-17), Oxy (06-10-16), tattoodragon74 (14-08-17)

Clunge Muncher Guest

Nice conclusion there fella, shame about the little loss you had but the HPS covered that.
    I do like the hard nugs you get with a LED, wonder if the smoke taste different at all...

From me phone enit

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Clunge Muncher For This Useful Post:

Buster (06-10-16), GEORGE (15-11-16), Greengrass (14-08-17), ironjustice (17-11-16), Wutang22 (06-10-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 34,377 Times

Mon the Bulls,..

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Oxy For This Useful Post:

Buster (06-10-16), GEORGE (15-11-16), Greengrass (14-08-17), ironjustice (17-11-16)

Viz Guest

Thanks for that, very reasoned and well balance outcomes presented. Nice to see that not all folks feel the need to be a fanboi of one or the other forms of lighting. Good luck for your next 10/10 grow. Aim high is the way to go mate.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Viz For This Useful Post:

Buster (06-10-16), GEORGE (15-11-16), ggotch (15-11-16), Greengrass (14-08-17), Trex (21-02-17), Wutang22 (06-10-16)

Bulls Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Clunge Muncher View Post
    Nice conclusion there fella, shame about the little loss you had but the HPS covered that.
    I do like the hard nugs you get with a LED, wonder if the smoke taste different at all...
    From me phone enit
    Hi buddy. I was wondering the same but so far I can't find any difference. Smell is getting there and taste is the same.. Will be able to tell you in a few weeks after it been in the jars.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bulls For This Useful Post:

Buster (06-10-16), GEORGE (15-11-16)

Clunge Muncher Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bulls View Post
    Hi buddy. I was wondering the same but so far I can't find any difference. Smell is getting there and taste is the same.. Will be able to tell you in a few weeks after it been in the jars.
    Keep us posted fella .

From me phone enit

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clunge Muncher For This Useful Post:

Thanks

In my humble opinion, I would like to know more. I've had a super HPS 400w up against... 1200w of LED panels....? Do I still have a memory? I don't write this stuff down. That's an unfair comparison, 3x the watts on the LEDs.

I think there's subtle differences either side. Maybe the taste is better on the hps bud that the LED can't match but the LED has more potency.

Thank you Bulls for all your hard work.

It definitely requires further investigation

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HeebyJ For This Useful Post:

Buster (06-10-16), GEORGE (15-11-16), Trex (21-02-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,089 Times

Great little comparison that. Think i will give HPS a try next grow!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Northern For This Useful Post:

Hopper Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HeebyJ View Post
    In my humble opinion, I would like to know more. I've had a super HPS 400w up against... 1200w of LED panels....? Do I still have a memory? I don't write this stuff down. That's an unfair comparison, 3x the watts on the LEDs.

I think there's subtle differences either side. Maybe the taste is better on the hps bud that the LED can't match but the LED has more potency.

Thank you Bulls for all your hard work.

It definitely requires further investigation
    Thing is heebs that it wouldn't actually be pulling 3 x from the socket and be hell of a lot less matey

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hopper For This Useful Post:

Buster (06-10-16), GEORGE (15-11-16), ggotch (15-11-16), Trex (21-02-17)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast