Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is a faint smell normal?

Thanks

Default Answered: Is a faint smell normal?

Hi guys,

I'm currently on my third grow.

Something I've noticed on this and the previous 2, is a faint smell coming from the extraction. It's not strong enough to the point where you notice it as soon as you come into the house, but upstairs around the extraction point, there's definitely a whiff of something.

There's no smell whatsoever around the actual grow area which suggests negative pressure is fine.

After my first grow I had the full ducting system apart thinking that there was a possible leak somewhere, and I resealed it all up 100% but yet on the second grow the smell reappeared. It normally comes in around week 5/6 at the start of the flowering period when plants are starting to pong a little.

I run my extraction at 40% so it's not a case off air being pulled through the filter too quickly, and therefore not being able to be "filtered".

It's a Rhino Pro filter so not a cheap jobby either.

I've got a couple of ONA blocks placed around the extraction area which helps, but even then if you're familiar with growing and odour neutralizers these can be a bit of a giveaway in themselves.

Any ideas?

1st Grow - 5x Incredible Bulk
    2nd Grow - 5x Incredible Bulk
    3rd Grow - 4x Incredible Bulk & 1x Delicious Candy
    4th Grow - Incredible Bulk, Delicious Candy & Pakistan Valley
    5th Grow - 1200w 8 Plants Multistrain

2. "Can almost guarantee this is the acoustic du tings not being fully sealed properly. Had it myself before now. Aluminium tap the shut out of it at both ends and check for damage to the ducting. If that proves not to be it. I'd buy a new filter.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk"

Thanks

I find a slight smell but I just spray the filter with a bit of febreeze and that seems replace the smell for a couple of days... Smells like you're using a tumble dryer. I also find things get a bit smellier when the temp gets a bit too high, maybe increase your extraction slightly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulls Guest

If your humidity is too high might cause your Carbon Filter not to work properly mate. Shouldn't have any smell coming out at all .

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bulls For This Useful Post:

Sadface (20-10-16), Valve man (19-10-16)

Viz Guest

If it is not your humidity being way to high you may want to consider revisiting your ducting.

I had to re-fit my acustic ducting as there was a slight odour coming out of the extraction vent. Could not see anything with the naked eye but when I changed the ducting out I saw a tiny tear to the outer skin. Just enough to pull un-filtered and smell rich air outside. Immediately I was done, no smells at all.

To be 100% safe double check your entire fitment of the extractor, filter and ducting.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Viz For This Useful Post:

Sadface (20-10-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,525 Times
    Provided Answers: 3

Easy fix,had the same prob myself this grow,
    Using a 8" carbon/fan Rhino.
    Throw bit of tape round 3-4" of filter nearest extraction fan worked a treat for me.
    I saw the rain-dirty valley
    You saw Brigadoon

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,089 Times

I personally have zero smell coming from my extractor. How long have you had your carbon filter for?

Thanks

on my first grow and started out with this tiny filter, shed stunk 4 weeks into veg. Upgraded to this big banger and all good now😆

👍

Thanks

Thanks all for the replies.

I don't think humidity is too high, it's around 60% and will be lowering as I get further into flowering. My last grow was during the summer months and I struggled to get it over 40%, and the smell was still there.

Temps are around 25 at 40% so I wouldn't want to turn the fan up much more.

The ducting is connected to the fan with the quick release clamp circle things, the inner layer of the acoustic ducting taped around, and then the outer layer pulled right over and taped down too.

This is the third grow (the filter cover has been taken off each time and cleaned), so probably could do with a new one on my next grow.

Thanks

One thing I thought of was to extend the final run of ducting and place that loose carbon you can buy in the end, so air is pushed over it - a final clean so to speak?

Viz Guest

With acoustic ducting it is so very easy for a small hole to breech the outer foil mate. Tape the entire outer foil of your ducting over and you will see (well smell) the difference.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Viz For This Useful Post:

Valve man (19-10-16)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast