Thread: Too dry/Curing process???

Thanks

Default Too dry/Curing process???

Hey all,

We harvested a few weeks ago and hung everything up to dry at room temperature (or poss a little above: 20-21C). We left it hanging for 2 weeks before jarring up and when we did found that everything was a lot more dry than we expected. Anyway it's jarred up and we have a hygrometer in one of the jars which my wife tells me reads 37% (!). In previous years we've been pleased if we can get the moisture content down to 55% or a little below. So: not quite sure why or how it got soooo dry and now a little concerned whether we need to re-hydrate a little? Also I am convinced that regardless of the /drying/ process we still need to /cure/ it to improve the taste and reduce chlorophyll content? Any tips and guidance gratefully received. AFAICT there's no detrimental effect on the quality of the bud but don't want to take anything for granted

TIA,
    T

2. The Following User Says Thank You to greenman_4_2_0 For This Useful Post:

redisiel (28-10-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

mate you left it to long hanging 2 weeks is way to much.

i usually dry by hanging them up in tent by the stems, have small fan blowin air around but not directly at the buds. keeping extraction and filter on. Aim for temps around 20/21°c, 50-60 RH. Leave for 2-4 days then check if a decent sized stalk snap cleanly, if not check back daily. If it does, it's time for the jars mate. Burp the jars 2-3 times daily for a week.

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...amp-cure-guide this is good guide to follow, you dont need to do the water wash either if you dont want to.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

redisiel (28-10-16), Type M (28-10-16)

Thanks

lettuce will re-hydrate it, but dont have it in contact with buds.
    Pull a larje container out and fill half with bud, other half with wet letuce, with a barrier of some sort between them. the moisture from the lettuce will enter the buds. make sure you mix the buds around every day or two.
    Or alternatively, put some potatoe peel in the jar with the bud, this will increase the moisture content.

Or just put all your bud in a bin baj for a day or two. this will draw the moisture from the centre of the bud outwards.

rmemeber to take it out when you reach 55%

personally i wouldnt bother, unless it turns to dust in the jrinder.
    If you crack a bud open and see what its like inside
    Last edited by badbillybob; 28-10-16 at 12:06 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to badbillybob For This Useful Post:

redisiel (28-10-16)

Thanks

Yeah thanks - I am sorting out some rehydration bags that should sort it but I guess I'm not clear whether the we've missed the opportunity for the curing process? We've only grown percy use and will be consuming as a mixture of smoke, vape, tincture, oil and cookies so if we've blown it with taste it's our bad and weight etc is irrelevant. I am assuming it won't have any effect at all on THC levels etc, only the harshness in smoking or putting in cookies? And for the latter ISTR we can soak overnight in water and re-dry to leech out the chlorophyll?

Ta, T

8. The Following User Says Thank You to greenman_4_2_0 For This Useful Post:

redisiel (28-10-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,620 Times

Quote Originally Posted by greenman_4_2_0 View Post
    Yeah thanks - I am sorting out some rehydration bags that should sort it but I guess I'm not clear whether the we've missed the opportunity for the curing process? We've only grown percy use and will be consuming as a mixture of smoke, vape, tincture, oil and cookies so if we've blown it with taste it's our bad and weight etc is irrelevant. I am assuming it won't have any effect at all on THC levels etc, only the harshness in smoking or putting in cookies? And for the latter ISTR we can soak overnight in water and re-dry to leech out the chlorophyll?

Ta, T
    You can still get a bit of the chlorophyll out and even get it slightly less crispy. Unfortunately, you won't be able to change the state of the trichomes once they're dry they're done.

In the past I used the big boveda 62% packs in quart jar and that actually made the weed smokable, but that's about it.
    "If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

redisiel (28-10-16)

Thanks

I'm guessing too dry is what causes some product to basically turn to dust when ground up ready for ingestion. I've had 2 strains like this over the past year. It did not seem to affect the potency. In fact, one of them had the most kikck of anything I've tried during that time. It was called "Cindy White."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to acewiza For This Useful Post:

redisiel (28-10-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

[QUOTE=acewiza;1070478809]I'm guessing too dry is what causes some product to basically turn to dust when ground up ready for ingestion. I've had 2 strains like this over the past year. It did not seem to affect the potency. In fact, one of them had the most kikck of anything I've tried during that time. It was called "Cindy White."[/QUOTEi
    I had a Herijuana like this better the longer in flower and the same with drying lol
    Hooefully this will turn out ok for ya bro
    Best wishes
    Redz
    NO-TILL Gardening with REDZ

REDZ BUILDS LIVING SOIL!!!

Redz & Ironjustice Do super lemon haze in rdwc for GWP

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...n-rdwc-for-GPW(COMPLETE)
    LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

GOAT (26-11-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,888 Times

Sadly the humidity its at now means you won't be able to cure it. Any form of rehydrating may improve the way it smokes but not the terps or stone etc

check out my diary

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=150124