Thread: White Larve in Soil

Thanks

Default White Larve in Soil

Hey Guys!
    Happy Halloween!
    This makes my third grow so I'm still a novice.
    Down to the point. I have 8 seedlings that sprout just 10 days ago.
    I had came back from a 3 day vacation to find my soil(Soilless Coco, perlite, vermiculite and standing water completely infested with white larve. It was in the hundreds.
    My diagnosis is fungus gnat larve, I've dealt with them before in last grow.
    I promptly changed to a clean sterilized drain pan. Increased the air flow and turned up the heat to dry out the soil.
    I plan to drench with 1:4 Hydrogen Peroxide and water, with a few dashes of Diatomaceous Earth.
    If theses are fungus gnat larve, this should do the trick.
    But my question and concern is, has the damge gone to0 far already?
    Has the larve destroyed too much of the root mass?
    The growth has been awfully slow, the leaves are a pale green, and the main stem is purple.(All are heavy indica strains, could be genetics.")
    Would I be better off starting new seeds or are these little guys salvageable?
    Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161031_110905.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	334785   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161031_110918.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	334786   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161031_110922.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	334787  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dahbens For This Useful Post:

redisiel (31-10-16)

The Aspie Toker Guest

You doubt very must that you'll see fungus gnat larvae with the naked eye. Plus, they'll be in the soil, not in the water.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

Dahbens (31-10-16), redisiel (31-10-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Aspie Toker View Post
    You doubt very must that you'll see fungus gnat larvae with the naked eye. Plus, they'll be in the soil, not in the water.
    What else could they be? They are in the soil also.
    And will my course of action still solve the problem?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dahbens For This Useful Post:

redisiel (31-10-16)

The Aspie Toker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dahbens View Post
    What else could they be? They are in the soil also.
    And will my course of action still solve the problem?
    The larvae normally live in the first inch or two in the soil. Also, they are extremely small. It could be any number of bugs and flies. Can you take a decent photo of them.

Have you looked on Google images for FG Larvae?

I've not heard of your method of killing them, so I wouldn't know.

Your plants look very stretched.

On a side note: I wouldn't use vermiculite either (and there's really no need for perlite if you're growing in coir.)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

Dahbens (31-10-16), Dutchcourage (31-10-16), redisiel (31-10-16)

Thanks

The larvae normally live in the first inch or two in the soil. Also, they are extremely small. It could be any number of bugs and flies. Can you take a decent photo of them.

Have you looked on Google images for FG Larvae?

I've not heard of your method of killing them, so I wouldn't know.

Your plants look very stretched.

On a side note: I wouldn't use vermiculite either (and there's really no need for perlite if you're growing in coir.)
    I tried to get a photo but they move around too much, and are pretty small.
    I should've took one last night, but I did what i could as fast as I could.
    They're 1mm long maybe 2. They look familiar to what I've been researching.
    I haven't seen nearly as many as I did last night. I even up rooted one seedling and it was difficult to find them at the bottom of the pot.
    They were crawling on top of the standing water and outside of the Coco Pots I have.

Yeah, they did stretch quite a bit before I caught it and lower the light. (300w Led) My actual grow room has a (1000w HPS/MH) light.

I meant Pumice not vermiculite, my mistake. I had perlite laying around and thought it wouldn't hurt. I'll change it up before/if I transfer.

What would you suggest I try for treatmeant?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dahbens For This Useful Post:

redisiel (31-10-16)

The Aspie Toker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dahbens View Post
    I tried to get a photo but they move around too much, and are pretty small.
    I should've took one last night, but I did what i could as fast as I could.
    They're 1mm long maybe 2. They look familiar to what I've been researching.
    I haven't seen nearly as many as I did last night. I even up rooted one seedling and it was difficult to find them at the bottom of the pot.
    They were crawling on top of the standing water and outside of the Coco Pots I have.

Yeah, they did stretch quite a bit before I caught it and lower the light. (300w Led) My actual grow room has a (1000w HPS/MH) light.

I meant Pumice not vermiculite, my mistake. I had perlite laying around and thought it wouldn't hurt. I'll change it up before/if I transfer.

What would you suggest I try for treatmeant?
    When you say they move around too much, also makes me think they're not FG Larvae, as they are slow movers. I am also surprised that they're in the water too.

If they are deep into the soil (say, bottom half) then there's no way they could be FG Larvae as it's too deep for them.

A lot of larvae look similar. Normally it's a case of knowing what it isn't when at that stage.

You really need to know what it is before you can kill it successfully, but try letting the medium dry out between watering. Also, keep an eye on any Fungus Gnats that may appear. If you've not seen any yet or within the next 10 days, then they weren't FG Larvae in the coir.

Are you sure they are not spring tales?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

Dutchcourage (31-10-16), redisiel (31-10-16)

Thanks

When you say they move around too much, also makes me think they're not FG Larvae, as they are slow movers. I am also surprised that they're in the water too.

If they are deep into the soil (say, bottom half) then there's no way they could be FG Larvae as it's too deep for them.

A lot of larvae look similar. Normally it's a case of knowing what it isn't when at that stage.

You really need to know what it is before you can kill it successfully, but try letting the medium dry out between watering. Also, keep an eye on any Fungus Gnats that may appear. If you've not seen any yet or within the next 10 days, then they weren't FG Larvae in the coir.

Are you sure they are not spring tales?
    If FG Larve moves slow then these probably arent them.
    I had saw a couple gnats flying around so that was my first thought, seeing as I've had to deal with them before.
    The topsoil was littered with the critters, I figure they move to the lower parts when the topsoil dries up.

I'm currently letting them dry out, as I figure out what I do next.

Springtail larvae and FG look a lot a like to me.
    I'm not sure what those are with the lack of flying insects, I'm starting to doubt it's FG.
    I read varied opinions on spring tails being good and bad?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dahbens For This Useful Post:

redisiel (31-10-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

i would say a good idea for any kind of larvae would be to let it dry out a bit top dress with neem meal or insect frass i do both put a thin layer of ewc\compost.
    i waterr in with aloe vera powder and thios has done the trick for me a few times, had a few different outbreaks of prests from overfeeding the worm bin lol.
    hope this helps in sonme way
    best wishes
    Redz
    NO-TILL Gardening with REDZ

REDZ BUILDS LIVING SOIL!!!

Redz & Ironjustice Do super lemon haze in rdwc for GWP

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...n-rdwc-for-GPW(COMPLETE)
    LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

Dahbens (31-10-16), Dutchcourage (31-10-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,022 Times

I was going to say I can JUST spot and ID Fungus gnats with the naked eye, (Had em before) but then I clocked you said larvae....yeah no chance by eye

hard to be sure without pics as said, but if it was an infestation of grubs then yeah in coco i'd go for the HydroPerox wash, ideally having enzyme products on hand to add after to minimise the disruption to yr microbial processes. (The seedlings likely will not like the Hydropreox either, but if it's kill or cure, Fk it) and with enzymes they'll have better chance Not sure how well the Dich Earth would do, that's generally applied as a top dressing layer, it works by fucking up insects ability to keep itself hydrated which obv works as a layer on top where the insect is losing moisture to evaporation trying to get in, but less so in the medium itself where moisture is plentiful.

As to the seedlings, hell they're still standing, nothing THAT important can have been munched yet, as seedlings they'd keel over v quick if munched.

(and yep, no reason at all to add Vermi or perlite to coco, unless you're reusing old coco and its breaking down and you want the cork-like vermi to stop it compacting)

*has now read rest of thread*

In damp conditions, esp with trays and standing water, yeah springtails are more likely, with their 1mm jerky water flitting, and you'll see them with the eye at a squint. Totally harmless to yr plants, they're not interested, Springtails serve purely as a reminder not to leave standing water about and as others have noted, let things dry out.

So in summary, if it is indeed Fungus Gnats beyond doubt i'd go with the hydro perox wash, if it's Springtails, which sounds more likely, do nothing but let things dry out and be a bit more diligent with standing water, wot springtails heart)
    Last edited by Strider; 31-10-16 at 08:04 PM.
    Strider's Sup Lemon Haze & L.A. Confidential DWC Good...hopefully...2018

SLH & Incredible Bulk DWC Actually good, honest. 2017

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strider For This Useful Post:

Dahbens (31-10-16), Dutchcourage (31-10-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    I was going to say I can JUST spot and ID Fungus gnats with the naked eye, (Had em before) but then I clocked you said larvae....yeah no chance by eye

hard to be sure without pics as said, but if it was an infestation of grubs then yeah in coco i'd go for the HydroPerox wash, ideally having enzyme products on hand to add after to minimise the disruption to yr microbial processes. (The seedlings likely will not like the Hydropreox either, but if it's kill or cure, Fk it) and with enzymes they'll have better chance Not sure how well the Dich Earth would do, that's generally applied as a top dressing layer, it works by fucking up insects ability to keep itself hydrated which obv works as a layer on top where the insect is losing moisture to evaporation trying to get in, but less so in the medium itself where moisture is plentiful.

As to the seedlings, hell they're still standing, nothing THAT important can have been munched yet, as seedlings they'd keel over v quick if munched.

(and yep, no reason at all to add Vermi or perlite to coco, unless you're reusing old coco and its breaking down and you want the cork-like vermi to stop it compacting)

*has now read rest of thread*

In damp conditions, esp with trays and standing water, yeah springtails are more likely, with their 1mm jerky water flitting, and you'll see them with the eye at a squint. Totally harmless to yr plants, they're not interested, Springtails serve purely as a reminder not to leave standing water about and as others have noted, let things dry out.

So in summary, if it is indeed Fungus Gnats beyond doubt i'd go with the hydro perox wash, if it's Springtails, which sounds more likely, do nothing but let things dry out and be a bit more diligent with standing water, wot springtails heart)
    Crossing my fingers for spring tails!
    Thank you guys so much for the help and insight!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Dahbens For This Useful Post: