Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New loft build

Thanks

Default New loft build

Hi everyone,

I'm after a little advice on electrics to my loft space, I live in a big long house and there is two separate loft spaces, separated by a single skin brick wall, the bigger loft space has had two brand new double sockets fitted which comes off the old immersion heater fused socket circuit (13A) (the immersion ran on its own circuit) this part from the new sockets in loft back to the old immersion heater fused 13A box is all in 2.5mm t&e. From the old fused box back to the consumer unit I'm not sure what gauge cable was used as it's old wiring, the breaker for the old immersion is a 16Amp. My new build is going to be in the smaller loft space where I want to put a further 4 double sockets on the apex, with it being on its own circuit can I just spur off the other two double sockets in the loft space next to my new grow space? If so what gauge cable would be best? I will be running 2x dimmable 1000W HPS bulbs/ballasts, 1x 8"fan for extraction, 1x 6"fan for intake, 2x wall mounted oscillating fans, possibly a 1.5m tube heater depending on temps. The power draw for my lights especially will be quite high so I want to make sure all my cabling is up to standard and more than capable of handling the current and do I / should I upgrade the 16Amp breaker to a 32Amp? Please could somebody advise me as I don't wanna burn my lovely house down! Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,977 Times

If you dont know what you properly doing fella dont bother a little mistake could cost you alot.my advice is Get a sparky to do it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BritishBotanics For This Useful Post:

Et spiritu (31-10-16)

Thanks

Cheers fella the only problem with that is it's a low roof space at only 4.5' so any sparkie would wonder why I want 4x double sockets in there on the apex!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,559 Times

Upgrade to a 32A and stick a couple of sockets on it, it'll be fine mate, 2.5mm cable will be fine for the whole circuit.

For i am mighty💪🌲

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrG For This Useful Post:

Bud Lightyear (31-10-16), Et spiritu (31-10-16), Loki (01-11-16)

Thanks

Cheers Thor, so all I need to upgrade is the breaker and 2.5mm t&e will be fine right through? Even for the lights?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Et spiritu For This Useful Post:

Loki (01-11-16), MrG (01-11-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,559 Times

Yea mate will be sound:thumbup:

For i am mighty💪🌲

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrG For This Useful Post:

Et spiritu (01-11-16), Loki (01-11-16)

Thanks

Sweet! Thanks for your help mate I'll be posting pics of the progress throughout the build and welcome any input!!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Et spiritu For This Useful Post:

Cunning (01-11-16), Loki (01-11-16), MrG (01-11-16)

Thanks

Here's some progress pics of my new loft grow room, it's quite a low space, from floor level to top of apex is 4'4" so i need to think carefully about what strains to grow in there and what lighting to use so as not to burn them, I was wanting to go with 2x 1000w HPS but I think I'm going to struggle for space and probably burn my plants! What do you guys reckon? Hoping to have the build done inside 4 weeks with new electrics and a water source. Plus all my equipment installed and ready to rock and roll!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 19,812 Times

Rather than have 2 dimmable 1000w I think id opt for 3 or 4(if space allows) dimmable 600w.

That way you get a greater footprint.Youll always be moving the lights around otherwise.

Edit..just seen new pics.You will definately need to train or scrog.

Ps..You are soon going to have a bad back
    Last edited by Bethmeg; 01-11-16 at 03:33 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bethmeg For This Useful Post:

Cunning (01-11-16), Et spiritu (01-11-16)

Thanks

Yeah I get where your coming from, I was thinking of light penetration between plants but the apex is quite low so I'd get away with 600's, cheers Bethmeg

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Et spiritu For This Useful Post:

Bethmeg (01-11-16)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast