Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Autos and rockwool slabs

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 26,740 Times

Hey Cunning, can't go wrong with auto's mate, normally a 9ish week turn around. Rockwool will be fine too, Pot size would be down to personal preference really, I use 20 litre maximum for auto's.

I've always started my off in 1 litre pots, then moved them to the 20 litre pots at around the 7-10 day mark, never had a problem.

"Bees don't waste time explaining to flies why honey is better than shit."

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Loki For This Useful Post:

Cunning (08-11-16), ERBURT (08-11-16), M_C (11-11-16), rockhopper (08-11-16), Type M (08-11-16), Wutang22 (24-11-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,551 Times

Thanks for looking loki. I'm going to do these on rockwool slabs, drain to waste. I was just nervous the roots might not fill the slabs but if done properly they should be fine

Cheers
    Too weird to live, too rare to die

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cunning For This Useful Post:

Loki (08-11-16)

Thanks

She's up

Currently sat in the 1.2m roof qube under an HS1. Temp is on the low side, only 21 but I'll switch on a 250W MH later and see what happens.

I've got no ducting at the moment and no cable to wire my 6" fan so I've just got a 4" resting in the extraction sock on minimum speed.

I've lost loads of kit since it's been out of action for such a long time

Thanks

Crap, more things to buy. I've dug out some of my old bulbs that have been in a garage and they're not looking too pretty. I can't remember what the MH bulb looked like but it's damp on the outside and there looks to be some corrosion inside. I think I'm going to have to chuck all of them to be on the safe side

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,886 Times

Best be safe mate & new bulbs aren't bank breaking
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

8. The Following User Says Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Cunning (12-11-16)

Thanks

Couldn't agree more M_C.

Day 1 for my doomed Toof Decay. I think I'll call her Hillary

EC 0.6 (background 0). Might be a bit strong and the light might be a bit high but we'll see how she gets on. Got the temp up to 24 using a tube heater. I'd like it a bit higher but I'll fire up the other HS1 when she has some leaves. No roots showing out the mini cube just yet

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cunning For This Useful Post:

joker_the_smoker (15-11-16), M_C (12-11-16), Type M (12-11-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,352 Times

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Type M For This Useful Post:

Cunning (12-11-16)

Thanks

Hi @cunning mate. Before I start with my 2pence worth ha I'm no pro but have grown in rockwool once or twice, with regards roots in rockwool my current grow I've got 1 plant per meter slab (this is due to a few seeds not cracking), I have gone 3,2,3,2 in line with each other before and let them grow to 4-5ft with no issues with root bound=so I think your safe there !.
    What I've found important using rockwool is .........
    Make sure you slash bottom of slab (drainage)
    Sit tray high on one end (drainage)
    Decide how your going to feed (flood-drip or drip to waste)
    If your running to waste build up of salts etc will be less than recirculating and you can run ec a little higher
    If recirculating set ec low as it will rise as will pH so try to be aware
    Set pH 5.5-5.8 (although I set mine at 5.2 (which rises before I change my water tank to 5.8-6.0)
    I would try flush your rockwool at least once every third food tank change (I do this with just water,super thrive and Ritz) I would flood your trays, let them sit in solution for 30 mins then drain-change water tank to your desired ec strength and not feed for 48 hours before starting your feed cycle again (the drought time will change as plants mature and feed more in this case flood with low-0 ec till your happy there flushed enough)

Its a great medium mate and is quite forgiving except for major mistakes is over drying,

I'll tune in January gd luck mate
    Just to add I've never grown an auto in my hobby time but I think the fundamentalis would be the same

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Type M View Post
    Whoop. Game time.

Get an oscillating fan pointing at her if possible mate. Start strong

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    Good call Type M. One of the few things I have left

Quote Originally Posted by Wutang22 View Post
    Hi @cunning mate. Before I start with my 2pence worth ha I'm no pro but have grown in rockwool once or twice, with regards roots in rockwool my current grow I've got 1 plant per meter slab (this is due to a few seeds not cracking), I have gone 3,2,3,2 in line with each other before and let them grow to 4-5ft with no issues with root bound=so I think your safe there !.
    What I've found important using rockwool is .........
    Make sure you slash bottom of slab (drainage)
    Sit tray high on one end (drainage)
    Decide how your going to feed (flood-drip or drip to waste)
    If your running to waste build up of salts etc will be less than recirculating and you can run ec a little higher
    If recirculating set ec low as it will rise as will pH so try to be aware
    Set pH 5.5-5.8 (although I set mine at 5.2 (which rises before I change my water tank to 5.8-6.0)
    I would try flush your rockwool at least once every third food tank change (I do this with just water,super thrive and Ritz) I would flood your trays, let them sit in solution for 30 mins then drain-change water tank to your desired ec strength and not feed for 48 hours before starting your feed cycle again (the drought time will change as plants mature and feed more in this case flood with low-0 ec till your happy there flushed enough)

Its a great medium mate and is quite forgiving except for major mistakes is over drying,

I'll tune in January gd luck mate
    Just to add I've never grown an auto in my hobby time but I think the fundamentalis would be the same
    Thanks for the advice Wutang. I'll be running 3 plants per slab hopefully, run to waste. If I dial-in the irrigation times and get sufficient runoff then I'm hoping not to have to flush at all. I've been watching a lot of Everest Fernandez videos on YT. They are really useful

Thanks matey and we'll see what happens in Jan. Cheers

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cunning For This Useful Post:

Type M (12-11-16), Wutang22 (12-11-16)

Thanks

What are we on? Day 4 or 5 I think. I've a happy looking seedling above the rockwool but no idea what's going on inside it. Still no roots showing and it's certainly not because I am over watering... Quite the opposite in fact as I keep forgetting to moisten the cube and let it dry out...That could well be why I have no roots lol. More patience and care required!

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cunning For This Useful Post:

dntlowey (15-11-16), joker_the_smoker (15-11-16), M_C (15-11-16), Type M (15-11-16)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast