Thread: Growing 1 strain Vs growing multiple strains

Thanks

Default Answered: Growing 1 strain Vs growing multiple strains

Hi all,

Just looking for some thoughts on my next grow.

I'm on my third grow at the moment and have always gone with Incredible Bulk, a hardy strain tolerant to novice mistakes, decent yields, with quite a nice taste. All good. On this one I've also thrown in a Delicious Candy, and it seems to have complimented the Bulks nicely, similar looking plant growing at the same rate.

I've now got a decent selection of free seeds from Herbies and was thinking about doing a mixed strain grow on my next one.

2x Pakistan Valley
    1x Delicious Candy
    1x Incredible Bulk
    1x Afgan Cow

Part of me would like to try my hand at a new strain, and it'd be good to experience some different flavours. Part of me is wondering whether it'll turn into a big ballache though, I don't want to waste the best part of 4 months to end up with less yield than what I usually get with the Bulks, or run into problems such as plants growing at different rates, requiring different amount of feed and so on.

What do you prefer doing?

1st Grow - 5x Incredible Bulk
    2nd Grow - 5x Incredible Bulk
    3rd Grow - 4x Incredible Bulk & 1x Delicious Candy
    4th Grow - Incredible Bulk, Delicious Candy & Pakistan Valley
    5th Grow - 1200w 8 Plants Multistrain

2. "I guess the key is how are you planning to grow all them strains and I don't just mean method - coco, ebb and flood, Wilma and son on. If you are planning a scrog or a sog then it may result in some pain trying to keep your canopy level. If you simply have a huge grow space and different lights for each plant should be no problem.

Certainly each plant being a different strain will have different requirements feed wise based on the diaries I have read up on here on THCtalk.

Will it be impossible, nope for sure not. But there is a potential for things to get out of hand. But hell there always is thinking about it.

If you have enough stock of herb to cover you for one grow, this is what I did, then you have the freedom to experiment with different plants. If each grow is critical for your needs, like some of the lads who make oil for medications and such then there is less leeway I guess."

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sodangerous For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-11-16)

Viz Guest

I guess the key is how are you planning to grow all them strains and I don't just mean method - coco, ebb and flood, Wilma and son on. If you are planning a scrog or a sog then it may result in some pain trying to keep your canopy level. If you simply have a huge grow space and different lights for each plant should be no problem.

Certainly each plant being a different strain will have different requirements feed wise based on the diaries I have read up on here on THCtalk.

Will it be impossible, nope for sure not. But there is a potential for things to get out of hand. But hell there always is thinking about it.

If you have enough stock of herb to cover you for one grow, this is what I did, then you have the freedom to experiment with different plants. If each grow is critical for your needs, like some of the lads who make oil for medications and such then there is less leeway I guess.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Viz For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-11-16)

Thanks

Good points mate. I'm not fussed about doing SOG / SCROG etc.

I currently do 5 plants under 1 600w HPS (should be 4 really but I always stick another one "just in case") although if you look at this thread I'm looking at using more of the available space adding an extra light in.

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...-current-setup

Perhaps this would allow me to do 1 strain in 1 half, and then use the other half for trying out the others...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sodangerous For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-11-16)

Viz Guest

With that much space it should work out fine. And by having two grow spaces you can focus on the tried and tested and have the freedom to mess up if that happens (unlikely) on the other side. Wish I had that kind of space.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Viz For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-11-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,352 Times
    Provided Answers: 53

Variety is the spice of life man There's far too many strains out there to only stick with one....

I tend to research strains through google first. I'll start with the breeders info, seedfinder/leafly, then start rinsing the grow diaries. You can filter your searches on all the seed banks to find what you want.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Type M For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-11-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,352 Times
    Provided Answers: 53

Oh, & those beans should all finish under 10 weeks. Get them germed

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Type M For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-11-16)