Thread: why is the water so much colder than the air with the lamp beaming down on the water?

Thanks

Default why is the water so much colder than the air with the lamp beaming down on the water?

I went out and did what I should have done in the beginning and got myself a propagation dome. It has a tray with about 1 inch of water in it, and I have the light on it 24/7. I was able to sprout 1/8 seeds, probably because of temperature. So now I have ordered 7 more seeds and am paying very close to temperature. I would like to keep it around 85F. My themo-hydrometer under the dome says it is 93F, but when I measure the water temperature with a water thermometer, it says 79F. This doesn't make any sense to me at all! The lamp is beaming down on that water just as much as it is beaming down on the air inside the dome. The face of the thermo-hydrometer is about 6 square inches, is that why it says the temp is so high? Because it is just absorbing so much lamp through the big face of it? The young plant looks bright green and healthy even though its first leaves are curling under. The plant is telling me it is a little to hot, but 79F is too cold to propagate the seeds from my experience thus far.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

I have a professional grade hydrofarm heat mat with a temp controller to avoid this .Best temp to Sprout seeds is 27-30deg C with 60-70%RH , use a dome , as she sprouts , bring that down to 27 til the leaves pop out of hull , bring down RH to 50-60 and heat down to 23-25 range

1 " of water in what exactly ? you dont need an inch of water in anything to sprout a seed Your Question turned into a Novel and confused the shit out of me .

All it take is a few paper towels , put seeds in a temperature of 27 deg C , let them sprout , get back to me when it is done

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,778 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Fogponics View Post
    79F is too cold to propagate the seeds from my experience thus far.
    No problem at all germing in that temp mate...
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

Thanks

Your water temp is probably lower due to evaporation. When water evaporates it removes heat from the object it is evaporating from. This is why you feel cold getting out of water after swimming, especially if there is a breeze; the evaporating water is removing heat from your body. It is also why the clay wine coolers work, as the water evaporates it cools the clay and hence the bottle of wine.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk