Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HID Lights and seedlings

Thanks

Default HID Lights and seedlings

He all,

This is my first time growing autoflowers, hence the lighting question. I have 600 watt MH HID lights and my babies just opened up. I still have the domes over them and my lights are 24 inches above the domes. Is that too close? How close should the lights be once I remove the domes?

Thanks!

H420

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,755 Times

I would also be interested in this post as it would save buying a T5. I have read much advise which says get them under HID as soon as they show.

I will be using a dimmable ballast should I dim the 600 to 250 and bring it closer?

Mine won't be auto.

Thanks
    TB

3. The Following User Says Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

Hobby420 (29-11-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

i made the mistake on my current grow of putting the 400w on them to soon. even when i did the back of the hand test and it was ok, they really did not like it i think maybe it was to intense to soon. so for me i will leave the T5 on them for minimum of 2 weeks, then introduce the big light.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

Hobby420 (29-11-16), toblue (29-11-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hobby420 View Post
    He all,

This is my first time growing autoflowers, hence the lighting question. I have 600 watt MH HID lights and my babies just opened up. I still have the domes over them and my lights are 24 inches above the domes. Is that too close? How close should the lights be once I remove the domes?

Thanks!

H420
    I've used a 400W HPS on my current auto grow from the get go, 8 weeks in now. But I initially had the light right at the top of the tent then lowered it as the plants matured. I didnt cover the seedlings with any kind of dome either. Just misted them everyday to keep the surrounding soil moist.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyCoal For This Useful Post:

Hobby420 (21-12-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyCoal View Post
    I've used a 400W HPS on my current auto grow from the get go, 8 weeks in now. But I initially had the light right at the top of the tent then lowered it as the plants matured. I didnt cover the seedlings with any kind of dome either...
    Hey MonkeyCoal... I have 600 watt HID and did the same as you without any issues! I did dome mine however. Mine are 3 weeks old and my lights are about 18 inches from the girls and they are beautiful!

H420

Thanks

My buddy puts em under 400 watts as soon as they break ground at 2 feet to start and lowers a bit daily with no issues

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SirBudsAlot For This Useful Post:

Hobby420 (22-12-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toblue View Post
    I would also be interested in this post as it would save buying a T5. I have read much advise which says get them under HID as soon as they show.

I will be using a dimmable ballast should I dim the 600 to 250 and bring it closer?

Mine won't be auto.

Thanks
    TB
    Hey... for my photos, I always use CFLs for the first few weeks then put them under my HID dimmed at 36 inches but can get them to full light at 18 inches in about 10 days... CFLs are cheaper and easier to work with than T5s but do a similar job

Hope this helps

Viz Guest

I use CDM lights, so straight from seed to the chop they are under the CDM. When they are seeds in the soil they lamp is just over 36" away. I then let them grow towards the lamp for the first day or so and will adjust the height down to 24" at about a week old. At the end the top of the cola's are less than 9" from the lamp.

The first few days once they pop heads up the everything in the world is basically hostile for the new seedlings, you have to slowly train them to accept the artificial sun light (our lamps) and the best way to do that if you are using a HPS or a CDM and similar is to have the light higher than you normally would and then bring it down to the plant as the young plant gets accustomed to the intensity of the lamp.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Viz For This Useful Post:

Hobby420 (22-12-16), SirBudsAlot (22-12-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toblue View Post

Mine won't be auto.

Thanks
    TB
    Hey Toblue,

This is what my girls look like at week 3... Straight MH HID, not dimmed just started started about 36 inches away. They are now at 18 inches.

Attachment 337454
    Last edited by Hobby420; 23-12-16 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Picture is too small

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hobby420 For This Useful Post:

Viz Guest

Yip that is perfect Hobby420 T5 are a nice luxury but not needed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast