Thread: When/How to top/FIM side branches for LST/SCROG

Thanks

Default When/How to top/FIM side branches for LST/SCROG

Hello,

I'm aware that there's multiple guides about topping/FIMMING/LST/SCROGGING but I've had one question that seems to be missed out in a few of them, or picture wise is unclear.

This question being when do you top/FIM side branches for an LST/SCROG? I'm asking because I've been told you should top the new growth after the 3rd/4th set of leaves, but the issue with this (for me at least) is it leaves the branches very short and difficult to properly secure/tie down in order to allow adequate light to the middle/lower parts of the plant.

I know that I could always 'lollypop' the plants in order to allow more light to get to lower branches, but I don't really want to stress them anymore than necessary; Which is why I'm somewhat confused as to where/when to top/FIM additional growth and then how people actually tie them down if/when they top them at the 3rd/4th set of leaves on the new growth.

Right now I've topped my moneymakers twice, 1st was just after the 3rd internode and then the 2nd time was on the 3rd/4th set of leaves on the new growth - This has basically left me with short branches which basically pull the pegs out of the coco coir and when I try to tie them down in order to allow additional light they get very near snapping because of how short the surface area is.

Is there any chance someone could give me some advice or point me in the right direction to clarify this for me? Pictures would also be a HUGE help, if there's any available.

Thanks in advance and happy toking,

Adam.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam1303 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-12-16)

Thanks

To clarify what I meant - I was reading about topping side branches, but there's very little information about it available that I can find.

It's essentially an experiment that I'm doing, 1 moneymaker will have topped side branches (the new 'colas') and then the other will be topped and then the shoots coming off the new colas will be topped for additional colas. I'm just trying to get a feel for what I like and/or what works for me, but as a novice it's somewhat difficult when I'm relying on information that I can't seem to find.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam1303 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-12-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 39,862 Times

Hello Adam.. Have you checked out this guide? its pretty clear imo mate.. https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...post1070510077

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to B.A.BARACUS For This Useful Post:

Adam1303 (26-12-16), GEORGE (26-12-16)

Viz Guest

Honestly my advice is to simply experiment. That is how you work out what is best for your plant, no two strains are the same. I think with photo-periods you can top and tweak/train right up till flower. Hell I topped and trained into the first two weeks after the flip.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Viz For This Useful Post:

Adam1303 (26-12-16), GEORGE (26-12-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B.A.BARACUS View Post
    Hello Adam.. Have you checked out this guide? its pretty clear imo mate.. https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...post1070510077
    Thanks for the reply, it's appreciated!

The general concept of FIMMING/Topping I understand fully and I've put into application before, it's more so the 'side branches' that are confusing me. I've found that there's very little information regarding the outcomes of topping 'side branches'.

By this I mean once you've topped/FIMMED the first time on the main stem and you have what will be the new colas growing out of the sides of the plant - What happens when you top/FIM the new growth? Where would be the best place/time to do this?

I've seen what happens after topping the side branches now with one of my moneymakers, who's growing bushy and wide and upon looking at the new 'colas' after topping them there's shoots popping up everywhere.. I'm just curious as to whether there's a specific time to do this, like at the 3rd set of leaves or the 4th set etc... Right now I did it at the 3rd set and the branches are short which makes LST difficult due to them being so short the pressure exerted doesn't have much space to be distributed making snappages very easily done, despite being delicate/careful when LSTing.

I could ultimately just try topping the new colas at the 5th set of leaves, which in theory would make snappages much less likely due to the branches being longer but I was wondering if there's anyone around who's actually tried this successfully.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam1303 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-12-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 39,862 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1303 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, it's appreciated!

The general concept of FIMMING/Topping I understand fully and I've put into application before, it's more so the 'side branches' that are confusing me. I've found that there's very little information regarding the outcomes of topping 'side branches'.

By this I mean once you've topped/FIMMED the first time on the main stem and you have what will be the new colas growing out of the sides of the plant - What happens when you top/FIM the new growth? Where would be the best place/time to do this?

I've seen what happens after topping the side branches now with one of my moneymakers, who's growing bushy and wide and upon looking at the new 'colas' after topping them there's shoots popping up everywhere.. I'm just curious as to whether there's a specific time to do this, like at the 3rd set of leaves or the 4th set etc... Right now I did it at the 3rd set and the branches are short which makes LST difficult due to them being so short the pressure exerted doesn't have much space to be distributed making snappages very easily done, despite being delicate/careful when LSTing.

I could ultimately just try topping the new colas at the 5th set of leaves, which in theory would make snappages much less likely due to the branches being longer but I was wondering if there's anyone around who's actually tried this successfully.
    I hear you mate.. Every time I've tried to Fim, I seem to get odd numbers of tops Due to missing The spot. All i normally do is Top once, Then Lst to Open the plant out which after a short while will create more Shoots.. Topping the main stem & then waiting 1 week & then doing the same thing over and over again will double the amount of tops each time..

Do you have a diary?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to B.A.BARACUS For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-12-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,022 Times

Grumpy old bastard but I just will never understand the current trend towards extreme topping (and defoliation for that matter) I keep seeing people post up pics of seedlings and saying 'Should I top this?' :P

I prefer LST and Scrogging, I get all the benefits of extra branching, still get to keep my top cola and don't have to cause the same stress and a few weeks fed and tied through a decent screen the idea of it having any sort of 'main stem' becomes laughable and you'll have more bud sites than you know what to do with, this is a shot of mine just now, if i can get budsites of that density with bending and tying over chopping bits off why would I top or FIM? Just my opinion obv.

Lollypopping isn't to get more light to the bottom btw, if anything it's to get more airflow and stop the plant wasting time and energy on scraggly branches & buds that are always going to be furthest from the light no matter what you do, esp in a scrog where there's a near solid canopy over them and the scraggly growth hidden from the light will be stretchy, pale and generally weak and IMO makes them more prone to hermying and decay/mould/budrot, I'd rather just get rid of it, remove the risk and divert all energy to my 'proper' canopy, (sod it i'll throw up a shot of mine again seeing as I have the page open..) Simply removing fan leaves from the top to get more light to the bottom would be just defoliation of leaves.

(Yr onto a hiding to nothing trying to peg thing into coco btw, it doesn't compact or bind like soil and the plant will lift pegs out of dry coco like it wasnt there)
    Strider's Sup Lemon Haze & L.A. Confidential DWC Good...hopefully...2018

SLH & Incredible Bulk DWC Actually good, honest. 2017

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Strider For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-12-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B.A.BARACUS View Post
    I hear you mate.. Every time I've tried to Fim, I seem to get odd numbers of tops Due to missing The spot. All i normally do is Top once, Then Lst to Open the plant out which after a short while will create more Shoots.. Topping the main stem & then waiting 1 week & then doing the same thing over and over again will double the amount of tops each time..

Do you have a diary?
    Unfortunately I haven't really been free to keep updating a diary so I've decided it'd be best to use this as a dry run and when/if I get the time to do updates and stuff I could use my (potential) next grow to start a diary!

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    Grumpy old bastard but I just will never understand the current trend towards extreme topping (and defoliation for that matter) I keep seeing people post up pics of seedlings and saying 'Should I top this?' :P

I prefer LST and Scrogging, I get all the benefits of extra branching, still get to keep my top cola and don't have to cause the same stress and a few weeks fed and tied through a decent screen the idea of it having any sort of 'main stem' becomes laughable and you'll have more bud sites than you know what to do with, this is a shot of mine just now, if i can get budsites of that density with bending and tying over chopping bits off why would I top or FIM? Just my opinion obv.

Lollypopping isn't to get more light to the bottom btw, if anything it's to get more airflow and stop the plant wasting time and energy on scraggly branches & buds that are always going to be furthest from the light no matter what you do, esp in a scrog where there's a near solid canopy over them and the scraggly growth hidden from the light will be stretchy, pale and generally weak and IMO makes them more prone to hermying and decay/mould/budrot, I'd rather just get rid of it, remove the risk and divert all energy to my 'proper' canopy, (sod it i'll throw up a shot of mine again seeing as I have the page open..) Simply removing fan leaves from the top to get more light to the bottom would be just defoliation of leaves.

(Yr onto a hiding to nothing trying to peg thing into coco btw, it doesn't compact or bind like soil and the plant will lift pegs out of dry coco like it wasnt there)
    The main reason I'm inclined to top/FIM etc is just because it's easier for me to control and handle, especially with such limited space.

I do plan on SCROGGING as soon as I put them into flower, though.

Yeah, I've read into lollypopping but my thought process behind the additional light is due to lower foliage covering parts of branches, even when tying them down due to the 'side branches' I topped being short which as a result leaves some leaves overlapping. I figured if I was to trim them away or back then I'd allow more light access to the base of the plant, considering there's some fanleaves and foliage on the branches obstructing light and apart from trimming them there's not much I can think of doing.

It's literally only the one plant giving me trouble right now - The one I topped the 'normal' way is perfectly fine, I have no issues with LSTing or light penetration - Just the one I topped the side branches as an experiment.

I've changed how I tied them down anyway, I'm using the 'superroots air pots' so I'm using the holes in the side as a form of anchor for rope which is then holding the branches down. I'll gradually adjust how much pressure is put on the branches in hopes that it helps them 'adjust' into position, on that one pain in the ass experiment plant I mean!
    Last edited by Adam1303; 26-12-16 at 05:20 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam1303 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-12-16)