Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advanced nutrients question

Thanks

Default Advanced nutrients question

So a few years back I managed to find a friend who was quite the AN fanboy, he spent a fair few hundred on the AN grandmaster bundle and sold it to me for a fraction of the price (still 3/4 full) but considering I've only grown twice and even then I'll honestly say not with great results I figured now would be the time to start asking and learning!

Basically, I was wondering how to feed the addon nutrients? I don't feed the base nutrients at full strength because nute burn is inevitable that way, but would the addons have the same impact? Also, when people talk about EC measurements, is that including the addons? That part confuses me because they seem to ramp up the EC by a fair portion!

In addition to that, I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to give me a brief overview as to what to feed/when to feed and how much of it I should be using? I know that the base nutrients feed levels are strain dependent, but does that logic translate to the addons as well? I can't really find any consistent answers, so I do apologize if this has been asked before!

Thanks in advance!
    -Adam.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam1303 For This Useful Post:

M_C (27-12-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

I don't know much about the AN range either, so I'll be interested to see what people have to say
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    I don't know much about the AN range either, so I'll be interested to see what people have to say
    Exactly why I wish I had gone with the Canna or FoxFarms range, seems information is much more readily available for them.

What I've seen of AN so far isn't exactly striking confidence, considering I've seen many less than desirable reviews and their customer service team just regurgitates their feed charts which burnt my plants last time

EDIT: By no means use what I've just said as a deciding factor in what you're choosing to buy/use, I'm a complete novice and ultimately completely clueless when it comes to this. (For those browsing for information on nutrients, I'm certain one of the experienced guys has shed some light on this below!)
    Last edited by Adam1303; 27-12-16 at 12:21 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam1303 For This Useful Post:

M_C (27-12-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 39,862 Times

Iv'e used the An nute range on my rdwc grow.. All i can remember is that they Ain't ph perfect until at Full Strength.. Also if you added all boosters etc etc, As well as base nutes, then your ec would be sky high.. I suppose all we can do is add in small amounts & try finding a sweet spot.. Root stim, Silicon, a&b + Pk are all thats needed for growing great plants, imo..

Edit...Ferro range of nutes make an interesting read also, expensive though..
    Last edited by B.A.BARACUS; 27-12-16 at 12:24 AM.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to B.A.BARACUS For This Useful Post:

Adam1303 (27-12-16), Blue (27-12-16), British green (30-12-16), M_C (27-12-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

Reviews can be subjective... and, TBH, no nutrient company is ever going to be able to give a good feed chart for cannabis, as the feed strength varies from plant to plant, strain to strain so they use a feed guide for generic fruit/vegetables....

Caveat emptor!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

B.A.BARACUS (27-12-16), Blue (27-12-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B.A.BARACUS View Post
    Iv'e used the An nute range on my rdwc grow.. All i can remember is that they Ain't ph perfect until at Full Strength.. Also if you added all boosters etc etc, As well as base nutes, then your ec would be sky high.. I suppose all we can do is add in small amounts & try finding a sweet spot.. Root stim, Silicon, a&b + Pk are all thats needed for growing great plants, imo..
    From what I've read so far their claims of 'PH perfect' stem from their nutrients apparently having a broader absorption range, as opposed to PH usually being crucial for certain nutrients being absorbed. There's some people who swear by never touching a PH pen while using the PH perfect range, although I guess I could put that to the test in a side-by-side experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    Reviews can be subjective... and, TBH, no nutrient company is ever going to be able to give a good feed chart for cannabis, as the feed strength varies from plant to plant, strain to strain so they use a feed guide for generic fruit/vegetables....

Caveat emptor!
    I can respect that they're subjective, but it seems the internet is almost flooded with them - Although most of them seem to stem from them disliking the owner of the company and not the nutrients performance:cost.

The issue with that is I told them that the feed chart is too high yet they were insisting that it was near perfect 'when used properly'. Since then I've learnt that it's easier to notice an early deficiency/under feeding and treat it than it is to recover from nute burns of that level, so I guess I've got that learning curve. Now is just the matter of the addon nutrients!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam1303 For This Useful Post:

M_C (27-12-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 26,716 Times

Hey Adam, when I mix my solutions up I use boosters first. (Silicone,PK,bigbud etc) So from my tap my Background EC is 0.7. That is with no nutrients added. I will then add my booster/s. I will then add my Base nutrients in equal amounts up to my desired EC levels. I normally go for the Canna range, but have used General Hydroponics 3 part feed before. The general hydroponics range requires different level of the separate parts at different stages of growth. In either case, I would rely on what I saw from the plant as opposed to what the bottle said.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

"A word to the wise isn't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Loki For This Useful Post:

Adam1303 (27-12-16), B.A.BARACUS (27-12-16), British green (30-12-16), ggotch (30-12-16), M_C (27-12-16), Type M (27-12-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Hey Adam, when I mix my solutions up I use boosters first. (Silicone,PK,bigbud etc) So from my tap my Background EC is 0.7. That is with no nutrients added. I will then add my booster/s. I will then add my Base nutrients in equal amounts up to my desired EC levels. I normally go for the Canna range, but have used General Hydroponics 3 part feed before. The general hydroponics range requires different level of the separate parts at different stages of growth. In either case, I would rely on what I saw from the plant as opposed to what the bottle said.

Thank you very much for the reply!

So it's essentially a matter of if 1.2 EC is your desired EC then that's including the addons, base nutrients and background EC? I know you pretty much said that, but after my last try I need the additional confidence haha!

Thanks again for the reply, I'm certain my plants will be grateful for all of the input you've given me across different threads and in a few months I'll be smoking the results!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Adam1303 For This Useful Post:

British green (30-12-16), Loki (27-12-16), M_C (27-12-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 17,323 Times

What AN nutes have you got dude? Presuming growing in water yeah?

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jesse Pinkman For This Useful Post:

Adam1303 (27-12-16), British green (30-12-16), M_C (27-12-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 26,716 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1303 View Post
    Thank you very much for the reply!

So it's essentially a matter of if 1.2 EC is your desired EC then that's including the addons, base nutrients and background EC? I know you pretty much said that, but after my last try I need the additional confidence haha!

Thanks again for the reply, I'm certain my plants will be grateful for all of the input you've given me across different threads and in a few months I'll be smoking the results!
    Hey dude, yeah thats pretty much it. Always start with boosters, then adjust EC to where you want it to be with your Base nutrients. I mix up 50 litres at a time, bg EC is 0.7. 100ml of liquid silicone, 50ml each of Canna A+B, ends up around 1.8ec. I'll need to add a little pH down to get it to 5.6ish for vegging, will let it drift to 6.2 on occasion but will always start at 5.6ish.

Will be good to see you get a grow on man, send me a pm with a link to your diary when you get started.

Glad to be of help mate.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Loki For This Useful Post:

Adam1303 (27-12-16), British green (30-12-16), ggotch (30-12-16), M_C (27-12-16)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast