Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First time growing, need some advice

Thanks

Default First time growing, need some advice

So this is my first grow. I planted 2 sensi skunk seeds 22 days ago. My set up is a small grow tent with a 650W bulb around 50cm above the top of the plants. There is a small fan at the back of the grow tent but the heat does seem to accumulate inside quite quickly.
    Picture of set up:
    https://postimg.org/image/o7se41jt5/

I used canna coco soil and have nutrients specifically for that soil and am using in the dosage recommended and therefore don't think that is a problem. Anyway, in both plants there are a few leaves which are shrivelled and de-coloured.
    Plant 1:
    https://postimg.org/image/5z9x52i13/
    Plant 2:
    https://postimg.org/image/ertmvh81r/

I feel like it is probably due to overheating but I'd like any ideas. I'm also looking to a solution to the overheating (maybe another fan?), baring in mind it can't be too obvious since I'm based in the middle of a large city.

Finally, the stems seem a bit disproportionately long compared to the leaves. This may be because I had a very amateur set up for the first 10 days which involved a weak light which was far away from the plant meaning it was reaching out for more light, I was just wondering if this is a problem and if so what to do.
    https://postimg.org/image/gttzgi3l9/

All input is appreciated :) Thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sebastipasti For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-12-16)

Viz Guest

Hello there, what lamp are you using specifically. I know 600w HPS but not familiar with the 650 lamps.

Are you growing in coco or soil? They are very different and require very different nutrients. If you are growing in soil then there will be very little need for nutrients initially as the soil will have enough for your plants for the first few weeks, often up to four five weeks before you need to feed.

You do not mention the exact temperatures that your tent is having so that makes it very difficult to comment about heat as the cause.

One big concern I have is that there is no mention of any carbon filter nor proper extraction. Smell or odour control is key if your growing in a country where it is illegal to grow.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Viz For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-12-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Viz View Post
    Hello there, what lamp are you using specifically. I know 600w HPS but not familiar with the 650 lamps.

Are you growing in coco or soil? They are very different and require very different nutrients. If you are growing in soil then there will be very little need for nutrients initially as the soil will have enough for your plants for the first few weeks, often up to four five weeks before you need to feed.

You do not mention the exact temperatures that your tent is having so that makes it very difficult to comment about heat as the cause.

One big concern I have is that there is no mention of any carbon filter nor proper extraction. Smell or odour control is key if your growing in a country where it is illegal to grow.

Quite right, it is 600W HPS. I'm using the canna coco professional plus. In terms of temperature, I don't know exactly but I have read that if too hot for humans, it's probably too hot for the plant (and it is). I don't have any extraction but I leave the tent open for a good number of hours a day. No sign of smell from the plant yet.
    Thanks for the response

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sebastipasti For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-12-16)

Dr-Chronic Guest

You using an intake fan what size is your grow space your 600w light may be to much for the size your in mate

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr-Chronic For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-12-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr-Chronic View Post
    You using an intake fan what size is your grow space your 600w light may be to much for the size your in mate
    Yeah the space is only like 1m3. I have a 250W bulb too but only have the ballast for 600W, presumably using those together wouldn't end well?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sebastipasti For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-12-16)

Thanks

I cant see your pictures because im on tapa. Anyways are you using a ph and ec meter. Coco is a hydroponic medium and should be treated as such. Also make sure you have about 20% runoff and use plain ph water every 2nd or 3rd feed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mrnice586 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-12-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastipasti View Post
    Yeah the space is only like 1m3. I have a 250W bulb too but only have the ballast for 600W, presumably using those together wouldn't end well?
    You can only use a 600w in a 600 ballest. You cant use a higer rated ballest and a lower bulb ie 600 ballest with 250 bulb. But however you can use a higher rated bulb than ballest ie 400 ballest and 600 bulb.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mrnice586 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-12-16)

Dr-Chronic Guest

Id advise not to use a 400 watt bulb in a 600 watt ballast unless your ballast is dimmable however using this method will decrease the bulbs life span always try to match rating of bulb to ballast id try grab a cheap 250w ballast you might have better luck with your temp issues mate and can't see picture dude and I'm using main site

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr-Chronic For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-12-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr-Chronic View Post
    Id advise not to use a 400 watt bulb in a 600 watt ballast unless your ballast is dimmable however using this method will decrease the bulbs life span always try to match rating of bulb to ballast id try grab a cheap 250w ballast you might have better luck with your temp issues mate and can't see picture dude and I'm using main site
    Ok thank you

Thanks

The situation has worsened. The leaves are going yellow and shrivelling, I'm going to replace with a 250W light and try and ventilate more, any specific other advise? Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast