Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Air filter/extraction tips

Thanks

Default Air filter/extraction tips

Hi all,

I'm a new grower and loving the forum. I'm 4 weeks into my first amphetamine auto grow by cream of the crop (x3).

I'm using a 80 x 80 x 160 tent, it's set up in my cupboard so the side vents are blocked (it's very tight).. the only way I can get cold air into the tent is by running an inline fan and some ducting through the front door and zipping it up tightly around it. I also have the top hole open so the heat can rise out (there is about 2ft of space above). I'm trying to keep the budget as low as possible so it's all a bit DIY but I think the setup is ok so far.

I know I'm goin to need an extractor soon when they start to let off their sexy aromas but I'm worried about noise as if my neighbour clocks on it'll be game over! The walls are quite thin here as well so I know I'll need something really quiet. I already have a budget 7" oscillating fan running in there and that's making my palms sweat as it makes a bit of a humming sound so thinking of swapping that out soon with something better.

Can you recommend what setup is best for efficient clean extraction but with minimal noise?

Do carbon filters make a noise too or is it just the inlinefan?

I'm using 1 x dual 250 cfl and 1 x 300w red cfl and temps are around 86f but do fluctuate a bit. I know its not the most energy efficient method but with temps in mind thought it to be the best option. I'm hoping that the extractor might help me reduce temps a bit too..

I'm hoping to get this right as I've just picked up some girl scout cookie autos that I've heard are very stinky and they're up next!

Thanks in advance peeps

Viz Guest

Odour control is key mate. You will need to get an inline fan and a carbon filter or you will be clocked and have the plod come visit.

You can work out the minimum size needed by .8 x .8 x 1.60 = 1.024 x 60 = 61.44 x 1.33 for the carbon filter and you get 81.72 m3/per hour. So a RVK 4" will do the trick and a Rhino filter.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Viz For This Useful Post:

Autosmim (29-12-16)

Thanks

Thanks Viz

So would the RVK 4" be the quietest option? I'll get a fan controller but will it be noisy or vibrate lots? I think noise could be the bigger issue... They're probably already wondering why I'm always camping out in the spare room!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Autosmim For This Useful Post:

Viz Guest

I can't really comment on what will be the quietest option or even how loud that RVK is, I have the RVK 5" L1 and the 6" L1 fans. A controller will set you back a good couple of squids to.

Thanks

So I'm looking on eBay and looking at a no brand 5" RVK with speed controller for £39.99 and there's a 4" Kingsley RVK for £37.99. I'm wondering if a 5" turned down a bit will be more stealth than a 4" running high. The 5" has a built in controller and the 4" has A1 & L1 speeds.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Viz Guest

RVK is a brand name. Here is the full name of the item.

Systemair RVK Sileo 100E2 4-Inch (100mm) In-line Duct Fan (184m3/hr)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Viz For This Useful Post:

Autosmim (29-12-16), M_C (30-12-16)

Thanks

Ah.. my bad. This bit looks expensive there's a few real cheap fans/filters on eBay but Im guessing they're a load of junk..

I'm trying to keep the costs as low as I can but guess I got no choice but to spend a few quid to get it right.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,773 Times

I hear what you say about cost... but you also needs something that you can rely on to do the job, otherwise you need to 'upgrade' in the middle of a grow
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

12. The Following User Says Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

The Aspie Toker Guest

Get yourself...
    acoustic ducting - that helps with noise in the ducting.
    A variac - so to control the speed of the fan. These are dead quiet. No hum, no buzzing.
    Put your fan inside a thick cardboard box filled with foam (or expanding foam)

All those will help with noise.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

Autosmim (30-12-16)

Thanks

Thanks dude ill research that in a min. I like the box idea! For now ill just stare at your profile pic for a bit and finish smoking my J

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Autosmim For This Useful Post:

clownstyle (30-12-16)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast