Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: confused

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,352 Times

Default confused

Hi guys. I am looking for an organic grower to take me under the wing to help with growing chillies organically. They will be started in pots in jacks magic soil/perlite. Then some will stay in pots & others will go in raised beds in a poly tunnel. I am currently going cross eyed trying to work out what to feed them & what not. Never mind when lol.

It's so much easier just using bottled shit haha.

At my disposal so far i have:

Jacks magic soil
    Perlite
    Fish, blood & bone
    Charge (insect frass)

I gather foliar sprays of epsom salts are advised every fortnight & i know some sort of seaweed based fert is good for vegging. That's as far as I have got. Do i need compost or manure? Any other tips or guides you think might help?

There's nothing like feeling like a n00b again haha

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Type M For This Useful Post:

B.A.BARACUS (02-01-17), Blue (02-01-17), GEORGE (04-01-17), ggotch (27-01-17), M_C (02-01-17), redisiel (02-01-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,022 Times

One thing about composts and manures is only a VERY small proportion of them is nutrients (3-5% maybe), and even then it's going to be a random uneven amount, you WILL get some nutrition out them, but they are primarily used to add bulky organic matter, it'll obv depend what the compost or manure is composed of.

Seaweed is useful, but has some of the same issue, it's best use is as organic bulk, however it generally contains a lot of extra trace elements that blood, fish, bone ect often lack. Thats raw seaweed, you can obv get concentrated versions that have a higher % nutrition

I do have a sneaky feeling Epsom Salts isn't organic though, it's a chem compound. (But Seaweed has a fair whack of Magnesium)
    Last edited by Strider; 02-01-17 at 04:35 PM.
    Strider's Sup Lemon Haze & L.A. Confidential DWC Good...hopefully...2018

SLH & Incredible Bulk DWC Actually good, honest. 2017

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strider For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-01-17), redisiel (02-01-17), Type M (02-01-17)

Thanks

Cheers strider. Do you grow chillies organically? What would you do/buy?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Type M For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-01-17), redisiel (02-01-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,551 Times

Can you not dig over the raised beds now and add a load of manure, then another load April? As long as it's broken down come planting you should have a nice rich soil that won't need feeding at all
    Too weird to live, too rare to die

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cunning For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-01-17), ggotch (27-01-17), redisiel (02-01-17), Type M (02-01-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cunning View Post
    Can you not dig over the raised beds now and add a load of manure, then another load April? As long as it's broken down come planting you should have a nice rich soil that won't need feeding at all
    So if I do that now & in April, I won't need to feed them anything?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Type M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,551 Times

I can't tell you that for certain but I always add farmyard manure to my veg patch in Jan and never have any trouble with hungry plants.

Pot plants will need feeding but the raised beds I'd imagine will feed plants for ages if you prepare them long enough in advance and let the critters break down the shite.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cunning For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-01-17), redisiel (02-01-17), Strider (02-01-17), Type M (02-01-17)

Thanks

Cow or horse lol?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Type M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

Type m have a chat and look at redseil . I think he'll be able to help https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=144029

sent from mission control

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-01-17), redisiel (02-01-17), Type M (02-01-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,022 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Type M View Post
    Cheers strider. Do you grow chillies organically? What would you do/buy?
    Nah I embrace chemicals :P I'm a horticulture student so I'm expected to know a bit about this stuff

As Cunning says though, you won't go wrong forking in a load of manure and leaving it over winter to break down and for the frost to break the soil structure down a bit

You could also plant a green manure crop, any crop of crappy quick growing things that just gets forked entire straight back into soil is v good but obv not ideal time for it

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strider For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-01-17), Glynne (02-01-17), redisiel (02-01-17), Type M (02-01-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    Nah I embrace chemicals :P I'm a horticulture student so I'm expected to know a bit about this stuff

As Cunning says though, you won't go wrong forking in a load of manure and leaving it over winter to break down and for the frost to break the soil structure down a bit

You could also plant a green manure crop, any crop of crappy quick growing things that just gets forked entire straight back into soil is v good but obv not ideal time for it
    Ha!

I'm still going to use something like chilli focus in the pots, but obviously not in the beds. Better get my gloves on then....

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Type M For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast