Thread: Supplementing HPS with Blue CFL For flowering

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,755 Times

Default Supplementing HPS with Blue CFL For flowering

Has anyone tried supplementing HPS with blue CFL during the flowering stage to increase the spectrum.

My idea is to have 4 x 150w bare bulb CFL hung between and below 3 x 600w HPS.

Another question regarding CFL. I am building an extra small room for early veg. I have a 42cm x 66cm 4 tube T5 and hope 8 plants will stay under that for around 2 weeks (from seed) at a push. If I added the 4 150w CFL would I get maybe another 2 weeks of veg before putting them under 3 x 600w MH in the big flower room. I will be doing a longish veg then SCROG.

This would save me buying extra ballast and reflector & extractor (maybe just use a cheap bathroom extractor) for the early veg room. Or would it be better to bite the bullet and buy a cheap magnetic ballast/reflector, 600w MH and budget extractor to use after they outgrow the T5 light.
    Last edited by toblue; 14-01-17 at 01:37 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-01-17)

Viz Guest

Mate you have 3 x 600w that is more than enough light for 10 plants I would have thought.

As to the small room for 8 seedlings your 96Watt T5 lamp is a favourite of many growers here for that purpose. Not sure if the 4 x 2ft T5 would be enough for 8 plants. I guess it depends on the size pots they are in to see if they fit under the lamp.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Viz For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-01-17)

Thanks

Thanks Viz, I was thinking more along the lines of supplementing extra spectrum rather than light intensity. My thinking was the Blue CFL when added to the red HPS would improve overall quality. As I do have plenty light another option would be dual spectrum bulbs for flower but I am not to sure about them although they do seem extremely popular.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-01-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,022 Times

I love Dual Specs, An all-in-one bulb that doesn't leave me wanting extra power, Metal Hallide and blue CFLs can go rot in a bin for all I care
    Strider's Sup Lemon Haze & L.A. Confidential DWC Good...hopefully...2018

SLH & Incredible Bulk DWC Actually good, honest. 2017

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strider For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-01-17), joker_the_smoker (14-01-17)

Thanks

I wouldn't be using the blue CFL with MH, just with the HPS.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-01-17)