Thread: EC level too low?

Thanks
    Provided Answers: 4

Default Answered: EC level too low?

Hi I'm a week and half into flower and I set my reservoir at 1.7 ec at the beginning of this week. I checked yesterday and they had drank half a res so I topped up with half strength nutrients, the EC is now at 1.5 is this too low? I'm using a Wilma system and my background EC is 0.5, ph 5.8 and drifts to about 6. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

2. "Its a bit high for my liking 1.2~1.4 is where I would be, you will find the plants will process and transpire more of the feed solution if you force them to scavenge for their feed...

Regards BL"

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to underground For This Useful Post:

Bud Lightyear (15-01-17), GEORGE (15-01-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,865 Times
    Provided Answers: 492

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

Dazmandaz (15-01-17), GEORGE (15-01-17), Strider (15-01-17), underground (15-01-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,022 Times
    Provided Answers: 22

Did you check the EC before you topped it back up? That would be your best indicator of how they're feeding, If it's dropped they're feeding more than drinking and vice versa

I'm lucky to have 0.1 background EC so 1.5 is like the highest I go EVER so I wouldn't be expecting something to go hungry at 1.7 but i'll admit right now I've never had to deal with a high background EC before so dunno exactly how that works (others will )
    Strider's Sup Lemon Haze & L.A. Confidential DWC Good...hopefully...2018

SLH & Incredible Bulk DWC Actually good, honest. 2017

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strider For This Useful Post:

Bud Lightyear (15-01-17), GEORGE (15-01-17), underground (15-01-17)

Thanks

Thank you both for your answers, and yes before I topped it it had stayed at 1.7, I've done a little bit of reasearch on high background EC and a lot of people are saying to deduct it off your final EC.
    Buz I think for a long time now I've been over feeding due to my grow shop owner telling me to up ito to 2.4/2.5 EC, this will be the first grow that I'll take it easy on the nutes.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to underground For This Useful Post:

Bud Lightyear (15-01-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,865 Times
    Provided Answers: 492

Quote Originally Posted by underground View Post
    Thank you both for your answers, and yes before I topped it it had stayed at 1.7, I've done a little bit of reasearch on high background EC and a lot of people are saying to deduct it off your final EC.
    Buz I think for a long time now I've been over feeding due to my grow shop owner telling me to up ito to 2.4/2.5 EC, this will be the first grow that I'll take it easy on the nutes.
    I never go above 1.4 thats with a background of 0.5 im in coco though. If you're in a system where the roots are suspended in the feed solution you want to be slightly lower...

Regards BL

Thanks

Ok nice one ty

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by underground View Post
    Crazy ass lunacy for a recirculating system IMO, pretty semiass crazy even for run-to-waste, that sounds like someone wanting to sell more nutrients :P

Must admit many growshops I speak to talk utter mince and largely regurgitate salespatter, often badly my local one changes it;s opinion on everything every few months...

I think my last convo with them was along the lines of

"Hi gimmie some thrip poison"

"How do you know it's thrips?"

"Because i looked at them and identified them"

"I don't think it's thrips, you should buy something else"

ffs! :P
    Last edited by Strider; 15-01-17 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks

No shit the guy has been swearing by his method I've told him about people online informing to give lower EC and all he comes out with is "I've been growing for 20 years, don't believe keyboard warriors online" I'm sure my last 2 grows have not achieved as they should because of his mediocre advice!!! Going to drop the EC down this grow and see how it pans out. Cheers again guys.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    Crazy ass lunacy for a recirculating system IMO, pretty semiass crazy even for run-to-waste, that sounds like someone wanting to sell more nutrients :P

Must admit many growshops I speak to talk utter mince and largely regurgitate salespatter, often badly my local one changes it;s opinion on everything every few months...

I think my last convo with them was along the lines of

"Hi gimmie some thrip poison"

"How do you know it's thrips?"

"Because i looked at them and identified them"

"I don't think it's thrips, you should buy something else"

ffs! :P
    Pretty sure grow shops are just money making businesses, most are not too knowledgable. A couple around my area are run by brain dead chavs that look like they have just come off the set of shameless. I popped in one the other day for some advice and products and I got a short reply with an awkward silence lmao... safe to say I'll be staying online from now on.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to underground For This Useful Post:

Strider (15-01-17)

Thanks

Yeah the fact he feels the need to lash out at 'Keyboard warriors' speaks for itself really :P

I've been growing for about 15 years in every medium, I work in horticulture professionally and have a nice string of qualifications backing it up, I would NEVER be so arrogantly pigshit dense as to claim I know everything or that I automatically know more than...everyone, because I own a friggin shop

We'll have a lot of different opinions of nutrition on this forum, but one thing I'm confident the majority would agree on is with feeds and manufacturers instructions, LESS IS MORE It's very rare i'll use ANYTHING at higher than maybe 75% of what they recommend because i've got way too many experiences of being bitten when I do, I pushed my current monster hydro plants up to 1.6EC and that's their limit and they are huuuuge, but by wondershops view of things i'm starving them to death :P

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Strider For This Useful Post:

underground (15-01-17)