Thread: 12v heater/fan

Thanks

Default 12v heater/fan

Hi, I'm trying to build a very stealthy box to grow in. It will be pretty small, so space around te plant will be tight. Due to it being in the ground (my plan is in this thread https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ng-a-grow-room) I'm sure it will be well insulated and a temperature should be easy to keep. But I was wondering if I needed a heater how would I fit this in?
    So i googled 12v fan heater to see what there was and was then going to try 12v hair dryers but didn't need to. There are plenty of small units out there designed to preheat your car and defrost windscreens.
    Most have te option to be a fan, or a fan heater. So I thought it wouldn't be too hard to wire the heater switch up to a variable resistor in order to set a basic temperature, and have the fan part always on to blow the air about. Then I thought would this ecotechnic controller everyone raves about be able to control a 12v heater? That would be cool.
    I also wondered, as space would be so tight would having a heater directly in the box burn the plant due to its proximity? So I wondered if I would be able to have a box somewhere along the intake duct in which I could sit the heater to warm the incomin fresh air?
    Thanks for any help from you electric whiz kids!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

Whilst I don't actually have an answer for you, I'm curious why a 12v heater rather than a mains driven one?
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Bfg (16-01-17), Blue (16-01-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 37,976 Times

You could add a small tube heater they work well in small spaces and don't take up a great deal of room

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

Bfg (16-01-17)

Thanks

I was mainly thinking for the size of the heater, in an already restricted space. But also I'm assuming it would cost less to run? It wouldn't give out as much heat, or as instantly probably, but wouldn't that be better for plants? A slightly more gradual heat?

Just looked at tube heaters, and while yea a 1foot one would fit, it would then need a fan to blow it about. A teeny fan heater would heat, but also blow the heat about, and can still be an air movement fan with the heater function turned off, so saves the space of a second fan.
    Last edited by Bfg; 16-01-17 at 08:52 AM.