Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best way to extract air from tent in loft?

Thanks

Default Best way to extract air from tent in loft?

hi, ive setup my tent in the loft, just wanted some ideas as to how you all vent the extracted air?

i have a 4" rvk intake and was thinking of attaching this to the bathroom extractor fan(bathroom fan switched off) so its drawing fairly warm air into the tent from downstairs to help with temps?
    would that work??

also i have a 6"rvk for extraction but im unsure where to run the ducting to after it comes out the carbon filter and fan? its in a bungalow if that makes any difference.

thanks in advance for any ideas.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,551 Times

You'll be drawing warm, very humid air into your tent if you intend on using the bathroom.

Do you have an old chimney you can extract in to? A blocked off chimney that is, not a working one!
    Too weird to live, too rare to die

Thanks

i do have a chimney yeah its not used as we have gas central heating. i also have a vent in the fascia where the bathroom extractor fan blows now.
    maybe i could just unclip the bathroom ducting and use that for fresh air coming in?

also can i just knock out 1 or 2 bricks and seal around the duct?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,438 Times

Mine vents to the eaves simple and effective.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fwank For This Useful Post:

Bethmeg (17-01-17), joker_the_smoker (17-01-17)

Thanks

i just been up there and looked and cant vent into the chimney as being a bungalow the chimney breast starts at the corner of the bungalow and no room to get a pipe in.
    looks like the extraction is going to go out the vent where the bathroom goes and find a fresh air intake somewhere else

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dave1raver For This Useful Post:

Cunning (19-01-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

i got my groom in spare bedroom but i put hole in ceiling an stuck me big ass extractor in loft an just ran ducting to it. then the ducting off the fan i ran the eaves of the attic

plenty air gets in to the loft so you will get away with intake just in the attic of run it the the other side of attic to another eave

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

Bethmeg (17-01-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 19,812 Times

I have a window in my loft that rarely gets opened,only on really hot days.

I passive intake through the vents on the tent.

I extract into the same space,I just have the ducting pointing away from the tent.

So in effect I am recirculating the air.

As was said if the loft isnt insulted and boarded out fully then the fresh air will make its way through somehow,works for me.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bethmeg For This Useful Post:

joker_the_smoker (17-01-17)

Thanks

many thanks for all the replies
    i have finally set up the tent and fans, 4" intake taking cool air in from inside the loft and 6" extracting to the far eave in my bungalow roof under a ridge tile.
    plugged it all in and the 6 inch fan seems to be sucking the tent sides in and seems a lot louder than the 4"? could this be because i don't yet have a carbon filter fitted to the 6" ducting inside the tent?

would adding the filter quieten the 6" fan down a bit?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dave1raver For This Useful Post:

Bethmeg (19-01-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 19,812 Times

Quote Originally Posted by dave1raver View Post
    many thanks for all the replies
    i have finally set up the tent and fans, 4" intake taking cool air in from inside the loft and 6" extracting to the far eave in my bungalow roof under a ridge tile.
    plugged it all in and the 6 inch fan seems to be sucking the tent sides in and seems a lot louder than the 4"? could this be because i don't yet have a carbon filter fitted to the 6" ducting inside the tent?

would adding the filter quieten the 6" fan down a bit?
    Yes it will considerably.

Dont use any ducting between the fan and the filter, if its connected directly it will sound quieter.

You also want the tent sucking in a bit,the negative pressure will ensure all air is going through the filter,its also a sign you have the right amount of airflow coming through
    Last edited by Bethmeg; 19-01-17 at 02:55 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bethmeg View Post
    Yes it will considerably.

Dont use any ducting between the fan and the filter, if its connected directly it will sound quieter.

You also want the tent sucking in a bit,the negative pressure will ensure all air is going through the filter,its also a sign you have the right amount of airflow coming through
    Thank a for the reply but what if I have an air cooled light reflector? Won't I need to use ducting in between fan and filter?
    Thanks Dave

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dave1raver For This Useful Post:

Bethmeg (19-01-17)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast