Thread: Help Planning a New Grow

Thanks

Default Help Planning a New Grow

Hello everyone.
    So I'm looking to start a new grow in the next couple of months and I would appreciate some advice/ideas on what to do with the space I have.

The space I will be using will be on a staircase landing, I have 1270mm of width to work with but only a maximum of 1000mm of Length so that it doesn't block my passage through. Height wise I can go up to 3500mm if I needed to so no issue there (not that I'd need that much. although I was tinkering with the idea of having a veg chamber on the bottom and flowering on the top so maybe).

I will be building a cabinet with wood so that I have a fully enclosed system. The landing has hollow pillars on either size (for pipes/wiring I'm guessing) so I thought it would be a good idea to cut a hole in each one and draw fresh air through one and extract hot air into the other.
    Does this sound like a good idea?
    My main question though is what sort of lighting and extraction system would you recommend to make best use of the space without running into too many temperature problems?

Also what do you think about the idea of building a very tall cabinet with separate veg and flowering chambers?

Thanks for any suggestions and I'm sure I'll need lots more help later but would like to first get a solid plan in place before I continue.

Thanks

Hey,
    Regarding using the hollow pillars for venting, where do they opennout to? My thoughts would be that you'd probably suck in a lot of dust and crap, and the warm moist air exiting would lead to rot and mould. At the top and bottom it's probably just a smaller hole drilled for cables, so you wouldn't get a huge air flow. I haven't seen these pillars though so I'm just guessing. What's at the top of the stairs, above where you want to grow? Is it against an outside wall?
    With 3.5m of height you should be well able to have a veg chamber under a flower one. Even at a metre high it would still leave you 2.5 to flower in. Unless you want to grow leggy sativas!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bfg For This Useful Post:

mr peng (26-01-17)

Thanks

Hey thanks for the reply.
    I didn't think about the rot and mould, that would certainly be a problem.
    The pillars are fairly large (about 20cm x 20cm at least) so I could cut any size hole for adequate airflow. They run the the height of the house and it is a loft space directly above. I may try to upload some photos cause it is difficult to describe them properly.
    Not sure if they actually open out into the loft space either or if they are enclosed, will investigate this later.
    The wall next to it lies against a neighbouring property.

Unfortunately this is the only space I have for a grow so would like to know if it's practical before I start building.
    The other option would be to just extract out of the top of the cabinet and draw air in through the bottom.

Am I right in thinking the biggest light I can get away with in the space is 400w hps?
    Last edited by mr peng; 26-01-17 at 11:14 AM.

Thanks

From what I've read, I'm no expert, you could have a bigger one if you wanted, so long as you had sufficient extraction to keep the temps down. Unless anyone else wiser says different, I'd go with the 400 and see how the temps coped.

Depending on how much space is inside those pillars, you could potentially run a pipe down it from the attic, if you can only run a narrow pipe you could put one down each and then link them up into a wider pipe, to your fan. Then you can attach the filter to the top in the attic. Just draw air in from the room outside, in summer have a window open for cool fresh air.

Thanks

Use some gogo juice and seasol