Thread: Smoke Alarms!

Bulls Guest

Default Smoke Alarms!

Evening guys. Just wanted to give you heads up. I was in bed just asleep when I heard my Smoke Alarm in the loft goes off in the middle of the night. Took me a few seconds to expand the ladder and get in there to find out there is nothing going off. Smashed the fucker on the floor. Give myself few seconds to wake up and realise what was going on so I sat next to the bloody smoke alarm broke in pieces thinking wtf?
    So went downstairs and grabbed a cup of tea and the laptop to make a little research what might be the reasons. Seems some of the cheaper ones(I bought the same one for the loft as we had installed in the house) are not working properly in high humid and cold environment. High humidity in the air can set off smoke alarms. The density of the moisture particles in the air trigger the alarm. The device has no way of distinguishing between light smoke particles and heavy moisture content. Also they seem to get off in cold conditions as the batteries discharge faster.
    So if you want to save yourself from getting a heart attack in the middle of the night make sure you got a a Smoke Alarms that is designed for extreme conditions. I am currently searching for one. I still have my other smoke alarm inside the tent but really looking forward to change them both.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bulls For This Useful Post:

Ginger-bud (26-01-17), MR B-loom (26-01-17), M_C (26-01-17), Trex (26-01-17), Valentina (27-07-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Bulls View Post
    Evening guys. Just wanted to give you heads up. I was in bed just asleep when I heard my Smoke Alarm in the loft goes off in the middle of the night. Took me a few seconds to expand the ladder and get in there to find out there is nothing going off. Smashed the fucker on the floor. Give myself few seconds to wake up and realise what was going on so I sat next to the bloody smoke alarm broke in pieces thinking wtf?
    So went downstairs and grabbed a cup of tea and the laptop to make a little research what might be the reasons. Seems some of the cheaper ones(I bought the same one for the loft as we had installed in the house) are not working properly in high humid and cold environment. High humidity in the air can set off smoke alarms. The density of the moisture particles in the air trigger the alarm. The device has no way of distinguishing between light smoke particles and heavy moisture content. Also they seem to get off in cold conditions as the batteries discharge faster.
    So if you want to save yourself from getting a heart attack in the middle of the night make sure you got a a Smoke Alarms that is designed for extreme conditions. I am currently searching for one. I still have my other smoke alarm inside the tent but really looking forward to change them both.
    Yes for sure .

Our alarms at the factory go off in high humidity situations .and send a signal direct to the firehouse .

High water content in air , can mimick low oxygen levels also in carbon monoxide systems .

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,882 Times

I don't have a smoke alarm in my grow room, I have an automatic fire extinguisher that self activates at (If I remember correctly) 80c - problem solved
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Ironman (26-01-17), Trex (26-01-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

this though

heart in mouth though matey. glad was false alarm though

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

Trex (26-01-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    I don't have a smoke alarm in my grow room, I have an automatic fire extinguisher that self activates at (If I remember correctly) 80c - problem solved
    Awesome .how much did one of those set you back m_c ?

Me it aint my electrical installation im worried about , nor my lights or actual system in whole . Me its my damn oil/electric radiator Made in China that are notorious for melting and causing fires that worries me, bastard reached 400deg F when on 1500w the other day when i pressed wrong button ..... Not good .

Fucking made in china shit is really starting to piss ke off . Like ffs there aint even a ground on it .

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,882 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Trex View Post
    Awesome .how much did one of those set you back m_c ?
    The one I have covers 1 cubic meter & cost me £26.49 inc P&P However, they also do larger ones for bigger areas

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Bfg (27-01-17), Trex (26-01-17), Twisted (26-01-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    The one I have covers 1 cubic meter & cost me £26.49 inc P&P However, they also do larger ones for bigger areas

Two of those covers my actuall growth area . Well worth the money .

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

British green (08-02-17), M_C (26-01-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,201 Times

had one in my hall for years, they beep when the battery runs low, its a warning to remind you to change batteries.