Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dracena Plant Not Lookig Well

Bulls Guest

Default Dracena Plant Not Lookig Well

Good morning guys. We had our dracena plant in the bedroom out of direct sunlight. We've got it good few years now but lately it's looking very miserable. It's been in the same pot ever since we got it and never changed soil or given any fertilizer. Not sure what to do to make it look better? Any help will be much appreciated.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulls For This Useful Post:

ERBURT (27-01-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 39,741 Times

Maybe a culmination of all those things.
    I'd say light would help tho if youve moved it
    An itvwas ok before.

Autos
    Redemption Grow Take 2

Photo's
    Green lizard lick growing
    Exodus cheese exo-bition

THERE IS A STRICT 10 PLANT MAXIMUM RULE ON THIS SITE!.YOU WILL BE BANNED FOR BREACHING THIS!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ERBURT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,022 Times

Wanting a feed would be my best guess, I'd be feeding something like that every month or two at least and/or changing the soil and pot if it was rootbound, they like their humidity as well and don't cope well in dry air (dry air makes them prime Spider Mite targets too)

Entirely possible it;s a bit hacked off at the lack of light as well as Erburt said, they prefer full sun

Do you know what species and cultivar it is?
    Last edited by Strider; 27-01-17 at 09:25 AM.
    Strider's Sup Lemon Haze & L.A. Confidential DWC Good...hopefully...2018

SLH & Incredible Bulk DWC Actually good, honest. 2017

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Strider For This Useful Post:

Bulls Guest

Thanks guys. I was doing some reading about the Dracena Plants and seems they don't like Direct Sunlight. But also not very dark places. I think she is at a very good place there. But they also recommended changing the soil every year and increasing the pot size with 1'' every year. I haven't done that for few years now! Think I might have to head to B&Q and get a bigger pot and some multipurpose soil and get her potted up. I also have some MiracleGrow fert that might be helpful?

I have no idea what species and cultivar is Strider. The easiest will be to go get a new one but I really want to save this one.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,885 Times

Light and a feed will do it the world of good. But I must stress, that palm is not poorly. Leaves will brown and become tatty with age. don't be afraid to trim that SOB, it will love it and grow back vigorously.
    Sent using a rudimentary device
    https://s32.postimg.org/5nlg414id/bunt_funk.jpg
    Current Grow:Super Critical Bud CBD. Diary here
    Last Grow: Green Love Potion & BlackJack
    Completed Diary: Cali Orange, Coco here.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FunkyB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,022 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Bulls View Post
    Thanks guys. I was doing some reading about the Dracena Plants and seems they don't like Direct Sunlight. But also not very dark places. I think she is at a very good place there. But they also recommended changing the soil every year and increasing the pot size with 1'' every year. I haven't done that for few years now! Think I might have to head to B&Q and get a bigger pot and some multipurpose soil and get her potted up. I also have some MiracleGrow fert that might be helpful?

I have no idea what species and cultivar is Strider. The easiest will be to go get a new one but I really want to save this one.
    When they say it doesn't like direct sunlight I must admit I wonder where in the world they are talking about, as going by their crap UK hardiness rating I strongly doubt our piss weak watered down sun is going to trouble them, UK references i'm checking say it prefers full light over shade for deffo, but might need some protection from the heat of direct sunlight...from how they normally phrase things I suspect they're talking about it being outside in the high of summer with no shade protection, winter/spring window light indoors will be a different matter...waflle waffle waffle, I'd go with more light.

But yeah, feed it too nothing fancy, just a standard NPK potted plant feed

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strider For This Useful Post:

FunkyB (27-01-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,885 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    When they say it doesn't like direct sunlight I must admit I wonder where in the world they are talking about, as going by their crap UK hardiness rating I strongly doubt our piss weak watered down sun is going to trouble them, UK references i'm checking say it prefers full light over shade for deffo, but might need some protection from the heat of direct sunlight...from how they normally phrase things I suspect they're talking about it being outside in the high of summer with no shade protection, winter/spring window light indoors will be a different matter...waflle waffle waffle, I'd go with more light.

But yeah, feed it too nothing fancy, just a standard NPK potted plant feed

Agreed, I set my house palms just to the side of windows, for like you say to protect from heat through the glass. The OPs picture looks like it isn't getting enough light from it's present position.

It needs it's brown leaves trimming though in addition to light and feed. It will grow new leaves and be looking healthy and vigorous in no time with those three jobs.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FunkyB For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bulls View Post
    Good morning guys. We had our dracena plant in the bedroom out of direct sunlight. We've got it good few years now but lately it's looking very miserable. It's been in the same pot ever since we got it and never changed soil or given any fertilizer. Not sure what to do to make it look better? Any help will be much appreciated.
    I get a simular thing with my spiderplant. Some house plants like to be root bound and some dont so have a look into it. Also are you over watering it or underwatering it, has it been cold alately.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bulls Guest

Thanks guys some top advises here. I will get into it tomorrow. Bigger pot, fresh soil, remove some of the brown growth and get her in a different position with more light. Hopefully she will make a come back. Will keep you all posted!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulls For This Useful Post:

M_C (01-02-17)

Bulls Guest

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulls For This Useful Post:

M_C (01-02-17)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast