Thread: CMH kits for a veg tent - bulb choices / comparison / first hand review

Thanks
    Provided Answers: 1

Default Answered: CMH kits for a veg tent - bulb choices / comparison / first hand review

Hey guys, its me again and its question time

Im going to be doing a small veg tent, and initially i was going to buy a 300w cfl, then i thought 300w cfl would be a bit silly when a 250w MH would kick its arse, so then i started looking for a digu ballast, reflector and bulb combos......arnt cheap.

Then i thought of the CMH combos and the reviews they have been getting. So now im thinking of slowly getting a couple of these between now and summer, and sticking a couple in the air cooled hoods over the comming summer months, but try 1 out in a veg only tent while i try and find a good mother.

So without continuing to ramble on, i read somewhere that the daytime ( veg ) bulbs are a bit shit. Now i dont know fuck all about par, lumols, and the other fancy terms associated with light spectrums, but ill copy and paste this 2 tid bits and see if anyone can uncomplicate it

315W Philips 930 Agro CDM Lamp ( bloom lamp )

• Nom. Watts: 315
    • Approx. Initial Lumens: 33,000
    • Approx. Mean Lumens: 29,700
    • Efficacy (lm/w): 104
    • Colour Temp. (Kelvin) 3200
    • CRI: 90
    • Burn Position: Universal
    • Rated Avg. Life (Hrs): 20,000
    • PPF (µmol/sec): 1.9

315 Watt Philips MasterColour 942 Daylight CDM Lamp ( veg lamp )

Light Technical Characteristics
    • Colour Code: 942 [CCT of 4200K]
    • Colour Rendering Index: 85 (min), 90 (nom) Ra8
    • Colour Designation: Cool White
    • Colour Temperature: 4200 K
    • Colour Temperature Technical: 4000 (min), 4200 (nom), 4400 (max) K
    • Initial Lumens: 34300 Lm
    • Luminous Efficacy Lamp EL: 109 Lm/W
    • Lumen Maintenance 2000h: 97 %
    • Lumen Maintenance 5000h: 96%
    • Lumen Maintenance 8000h: 95%
    • Lumen Maintenance El 10000h: 93%
    • Lumen Maintenance 12000h: 91%
    • Lumen Maintenance 20000h: 80%
    • Lumen Maintenance: 97% (10% life), 95% (40% life)
    • Design Mean Lumens: 30780 Lm
    • Chromaticity Coordinate X: 0.373 Chromaticity
    • Coordinate Y: 0.371

For £225 collected locally or £195 online i dont mind investing in something that could possibly compete with a 600w mh/hps for the summer months and use less elecy , create less heat and grow some fantastic bud, but will perform better than a 300w cfl or a 250w MH.

Rambling again. Just bare in mind the veg tent is a Secret Jardin Lodge L90 90cm x 60cm x 135cm, and the main tent is a 2.4 x 1.2 x 2m.

Would 2 of these 315 cmd kits cover 2 plants in my fliwer tent, and would 1 of these kick ass in my veg tent ?

2. "Hello there, I grow with CDM.

I have one light in my tent and have grown four plants, and one or two extra's in the same tent and the same time.

You do not need to use a cool tube with these lamps. They do not run hot at all.

The one in the veg and two in the main tent idea sounds top for me, and it is something I would personally love to be able to do but space does not allow it.

My grow diary links are in my sig."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Huktonfoniks For This Useful Post:

Bulls Guest

Take a look into Viz's diary mate: https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...Farm-under-CDM

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bulls For This Useful Post:

Huktonfoniks (27-01-17)

Viz Guest

Hello there, I grow with CDM.

I have one light in my tent and have grown four plants, and one or two extra's in the same tent and the same time.

You do not need to use a cool tube with these lamps. They do not run hot at all.

The one in the veg and two in the main tent idea sounds top for me, and it is something I would personally love to be able to do but space does not allow it.

My grow diary links are in my sig.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Viz For This Useful Post:

Huktonfoniks (27-01-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Viz View Post
    Hello there, I grow with CDM.

My grow diary links are in my sig.
    Thanks Viz. Are you using the flowering bulb all through veg and flower ?

Mate even in the uk and with my current setup with water pumps, air pumps, a hailea 500 chiller, 2 X 600w HIDs all in the same tiny room, the average uk growers hobby room will be pretty Equatorial, I think air cooled hoods are the nuts.

Would you recommend the Agro or the daylight bulb ? It will only be used in the veg tent and flowering will take place under 2 X 600w hps hoods.

Thanks

Oh viz I just checked out your Barneys grow, they look fucking tight and stacked mate, loving it !

Viz Guest

I only use the Agro lamp. Greenpower 930 NOT the MasterColor 930

Lamps are way cooler than you can get your head around. 2 of them will be cooler than one 600W by some margin. I have had to have the heater connected to the controller all the time, and heater is on a fair bit of the time when the lights are on. Just saying.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Viz For This Useful Post:

Huktonfoniks (27-01-17)

Thanks

Well a little update.

A couple days ago, one of the Omega 600w MH bulbs failed, upon inspection, the inner jacket on the bulb had deformed and a massive bulge had appeared, so then i check the other 1, a bilge had started to appear on that too, so i promply went and got 2 400w sunmaster mh bulbs as i thought the 600watters are a bit excessive, while i was there, i got my self amaxibright cmh kit with the Master Green Power Elite Agro bulb, as it was going to be used in a veg only tent.

These thing chuck out some epic light ! So ive stuck it in my main tent while the girls do their 2 week stretch under 2 x 400w mh and the cmh.

Im going to leave it in there till i can get another kit and get red spec bulb.

Mixing the elite agro bulb with my 600w Hps bulbs will still be beneficial once i switch them over, will it not ?

Im really considering getting rid of my hoods now and going with cmh.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Viz View Post
    I only use the Agro lamp. Greenpower 930 NOT the MasterColor 930

Lamps are way cooler than you can get your head around. 2 of them will be cooler than one 600W by some margin. I have had to have the heater connected to the controller all the time, and heater is on a fair bit of the time when the lights are on. Just saying.
    Forgot about this topic.

Ive gone and got 3 x 315w maxibright kits and decided to put them in my flowering tent. At the momment i have 2 of them in my hoods and 1 600w hps in a barn reflector in the middle, as i broke the E40 to CMH adapter for the 3rd kit, all in a 1.2 x 2.4 tent.

I have 2 maxibright mini mova reflectors but i really dont want to go dismantling all my extraction and removing the hoods this far in the grow to put them in cuz it stinks in there and the Ona stuff just wont cut it.

Theyve been in for 1 day so far, will update my diary on sunday.

Viz Guest

Will check uodate Monday