Thread: Cellar Extraction Woes!

Thanks

Default Cellar Extraction Woes!

I was planning on setting up in my cellar although after a proper look at it, I think I'm going to be struggling with the extraction side of things.

My meters are the front of the cellar, so I thought I'd build a hidden room to the left as you walk in (grey area) and containing everything in there, therefore enabling any meter checks to be done without any suspicion. They'd just be able to walk straight through to the furthest room.

I initially thought I'd be able to run it out into the chimney but I was presented with this:

No fireplace! I don't think it's a case of it just being bricked up as it looks like original brickwork on par with the rest of the cellar.

Behind that wall backs straight onto next doors cellar too.

So, my next thought was to then run the ducting through the wall that splits the cellar into two rooms and just place a grill at the other side (see red), I could always pile some boxes up etc when the meter bloke came or whatever BUT, there's a vent at the other side of the room that opens up onto the pavement above (no front garden) and I'm pretty sure the draft noise would be heard by people walking past. I'd probably get away with it in the day but not in the quiet of the night. There's probably say 10 foot from where the grill would be, to the vent / gap out on the pavement.

2 or possibly 3x 600w is going to require a fair amount of air shifting too, it's not so much the noise of the fan that bothers me as I'll be keeping that in the grow area, boxed in, and the room will be constructed of 50mm kingspan and 18mm MDF boards. It's the whooshing of the air.

Venting out the back towards the garden is a no no as it'd mean running ducting through the narrow entrance which would be obvious - can't go straight through the wall as there's steps the other side.

Any thoughts chaps?

1st Grow - 5x Incredible Bulk
    2nd Grow - 5x Incredible Bulk
    3rd Grow - 4x Incredible Bulk & 1x Delicious Candy
    4th Grow - Incredible Bulk, Delicious Candy & Pakistan Valley
    5th Grow - 1200w 8 Plants Multistrain

Thanks

According to what I've read, the whooshing sound can be quietened by having it come out into a larger area. So probably by the time it goes out the next vent, and up to head height you wouldn't hear it. But from your diagram it looks like you have lots of room, you could build a box a foot square and the full height, and clad the inside with that foam that looks like egg boxes, and have a final large exit about 2ftx1ft. Could he even bigger if you wanted. If you search the threads about acoustic ducting, and homemade acoustic ducting, it would give you a few ideas. Get it built, then keep adding different ideas and stand outside at midnight with the fan on full to see how it sounds.
    All the best
    Bfg

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bfg For This Useful Post:

Viz Guest

I used acoustic ducting and do not have any whooshing sounds. You can also buy a length of duct silencer for your fan.

Thanks

I don't know about that mate, at the moment I extract into the loft and I can hear that from my bedroom below when it's at 40% or above. That is with a 6" RVK A1 so pretty tame in the scheme of things, also running acoustic ducting.

I suppose I could build another small room in front of the brick wall and soundproof that a little however with the amount of air coming through it'll still be getting expelled at a decent amount hence the whoosh.

Do silencers actually make a difference?

I just don't want to commit to building the room to find out it's a no goer.

Edit: At the moment I have 3.5 meters between filter and fan, with a fair amount of bends / curves. Using my new space I could keep it shorter, and straight which should allow me to turn the fan down, therefore less whooshing. Hmmmmm.
    Last edited by sodangerous; 30-01-17 at 05:24 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sodangerous For This Useful Post:

Viz Guest

I have the RVK 6 inch L1 and I do not have the whoosh even on 100% so quite surprised that you have so much noise.

Thanks

Strange, guess it must be because I don't have straight runs? There's 2 bends and then a 2 meter section where it's at a curve as it goes out the top of my tent to the ceiling. It's definitely whooshing and not a buzzing fan noise as that's enclosed in a box with a step controller...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sodangerous For This Useful Post: