Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: An intro, rant, and a question (searching for new home with growing in mind)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

Quote Originally Posted by wannavape View Post
    Yes it certainly makes sense not to throw that heat out the window, plus letting cold air in from an amateur insulation attempt around the ducting. However, having watched several expert videos on growing, they seem to prefer venting to outside and wondered why. I used to think it was because of smell, but by the sounds of the carbon filters, that won't be an issue anyway. So how is yours set up? How far is the vent outlet from your "groom" (grow room I assume, learning as I go) What size tent am I looking at for two plants?
    I have a room 5x9, half for grow ,half as lab/station . In winter i vent to.outside of my room . I have a full big house with unfinish dungeon style basement so i dont show at all .in summer if it gets too humid in house ,i vent it through chimney 8 ft away .

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-02-17), wannavape (09-02-17)

Thanks

Hi mate, I just joined the site too but I have done a few successful harvests a few years back now, so thought I would share my thoughts in your situation. Have you considered the possibility of renting a flat with it's own entrance above a takeaway or similar? this is what I did, helps cover any smells too

IMO the biggest problem with the smell is when it comes to the chop & unless you plan to sit in the tent (as I did once) with the fan & filter going it will certainly smell. I personally would not consider it with a communal hallway or on the ground floor if close to a busy street etc. On my 1st attempt many years ago I left a bathroom window open 2 rooms away on the 2nd floor & when my mate returned from work he said it stunk out in the street so be sure to double check all your windows are closed when the time comes!

I think as someone else mentioned though incense sticks could be a very great & simple idea to help cover any unwanted smell as & when needed.

Hope it all works out for you!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrostieNugs For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-02-17), Trex (10-02-17)

Clunge Muncher Guest

Hi and welcome to the Talk, some good info given to get you started, as said take a look at the diaries and other useful info that will keep you busy for some time .

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clunge Muncher For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-02-17), Trex (10-02-17)

Thanks

Thanks Admin for the welcome!

"I personally would not consider it with a communal hallway or on the ground floor if close to a busy street etc."

Neither would I. I have known someone who grew quite a bit in a flat with spiraling staircases and hallways, and it was an issue for them, although no bad consequences I think. Gonna really limit my home choices avoiding those things, but a must is a must. Can't wait for it to happen, and you guys are so enthusiastic! Great idea to sit in the tent while tending to it, but with what I will be growing (and wanting to keep it basic and small) that's not gonna happen. Keeping an eye on the weather forecast would be a good idea, as perhaps just waiting a day or two for winds to change direction could be very advantageous.

So let me get this straight. From what I've learned so far, I would need get the following:

Tent
    Light with pullies
    Fan, filter and vents
    Thermometer
    Mains timer
    Pots, seeds, soil, and food

Didn't miss much did I?

As I will be growing very little (he says), that means I would have to start from seeds rather than clones everytime, as I would like a few weeks/months break in-between. Is that a problem? I am also thinking about yearly inspections, so i would need periods where it's stashed away and out of site.

Not sure if this thread is allowed to turn into a chit-chat one or not, so I won't keep waffling on. Just wish I was in my new place now and I was here deciding on equipment to buy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wannavape For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-02-17)

Thanks

Fan speed control ,just to rectify fan in case of too low temps/humidity and an osxillating fan .
    Perlite
    And if you are going organic , get some quality compost . Bone meal little bits of dolomite and worm castings

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-02-17)

Thanks

Good soil mixture for me is

30%peat
    30%compost
    30% pearlite
    Toss in 20% worm castings
    Tbls of bone meal per gallon(3.78l)
    Tsp of dolomite per gallon (if ph is below 4.5) if above use a tad less .(added calcium and magnesium helps balance ph)
    Tblps of green rock powder per gallon .

A good quality fish emulsion for veg and quality seaweed for veg and molasses .

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-02-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 37,976 Times

Welcome along wannavape

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-02-17), Trex (10-02-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,555 Times

You can always go for a larger tent and allow space inside to work. This is what I am doing at the moment and have a 1.5m by 1.5m tent with 3 plants and plenty of room

Those 2 black pots are 50 litre pots. The idea behind this is based off a lesson learned in my last grow. Whenever you open the tent to work you are guaranteed a stinking floor in your house. It's especially bad at harvest. So the point I am trying to make is with a tent that's large enough, you can limit the time the tent is opened by the time it takes you to get into it and out of it. This includes harvest and all other work you need to do.

An idea anyway

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Terajuana For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-02-17)

Thanks

Thanks Trex for your advice.
    Terajuana, what you said was interesting. Something to consider that is. I did want to keep it small, but being able work inside it will be a big benefit. I saw that you vape, and I want to aswell. So you turn your plants into an oil and simply vape it? Do you get a decent hit from that? Would be nice to give up the tobacco. Seems like I have lots to learn.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wannavape For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-02-17), Trex (12-02-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,555 Times

Quote Originally Posted by wannavape View Post
    Thanks Trex for your advice.
    Terajuana, what you said was interesting. Something to consider that is. I did want to keep it small, but being able work inside it will be a big benefit. I saw that you vape, and I want to aswell. So you turn your plants into an oil and simply vape it? Do you get a decent hit from that? Would be nice to give up the tobacco. Seems like I have lots to learn.
    I don't vape oil I use a herb vape and get a good hit from it. I can't smoke joints anymore, hate it to be honest. When I smoked in South Africa I used to smoke clean weed and that was wonderful. I can't do that with the stuff I grow because it's way too strong. Anyways good luck

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Terajuana For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-02-17), Trex (12-02-17)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast