Thread: Germination problems

Thanks

Default Germination problems

Hi all I have recently been having problems germinating my seeds. I got some Ice seeds put them in water for 12 hrs then into damp kitchen roll. Temps been around 21 - 25 all 4 seeds have failed to germinate properly. 1 got tap root then died once I put it into rockwool cube. It's my first attempt at NFT never used cubes but can't figure out why I'm have probs with seeds.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 39,741 Times

Jus put them straight in the cubes,soak the cubes with some rhizotonic
    An keep moist.

Autos
    Redemption Grow Take 2

Photo's
    Green lizard lick growing
    Exodus cheese exo-bition

THERE IS A STRICT 10 PLANT MAXIMUM RULE ON THIS SITE!.YOU WILL BE BANNED FOR BREACHING THIS!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ERBURT For This Useful Post:

M_C (10-02-17), STEVSTER (10-02-17)

Viz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ERBURT View Post
    Jus put them straight in the cubes,soak the cubes with some rhizotonic
    An keep moist.
    Totally agree with Erb. I tend not to faff around with seeds. Pop them into the cube/pellet or what ever you use to germinate from the get go and keep them moist, not wet, and warm.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Viz For This Useful Post:

ERBURT (10-02-17), STEVSTER (10-02-17)

Thanks

Thanks guys I'll give it a go. I have a small propergator it's gets a bit warm maybe a bit too hot. What's the temps for germinating in cubes ?

Thanks

The biggest thing about cubes is to

1. Pretreat them with a low pH solution. I use 1/4 strength nutrient solution, but take the pH down to the 5.0 range and soak them for 3-12 hours.
    2. Don't let them be over-wet. A gentle-medium squeeze should not find a flood of water coming out of one. More than moist, but not soaked.

FWIW, i use this shape of Rw

(wont let me post link or image. RW # AX25/40)

and have MUCH better success than with the cubes. Note the inverted shape compared to the standard ones. I think they allow more air to get to the seed, and are less prone to over-soaking. Once I insert the seed and soak well, I just let them take up water for the bottom a they wish. I use these for all my hydro growing, for lettuce to peppers to basil. So think about how these allow air to the seed, and don't get your cubes too soaking wet.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to galtbob For This Useful Post:

STEVSTER (12-02-17)

Thanks

Whats the best temps Bob ? I presoaked my cubes seeds have good rap root placed them in cubes. Temps at 24/25 . Got them in heated propagator.
    Last edited by STEVSTER; 12-02-17 at 04:46 PM.

Thanks

Prepared in weak Rhizotinic solution

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,551 Times

Soak starter cubes in dechlorinated water at pH 5.5 for about 15 mins Any less than 5 and it starts to disintegrate the rockwool, 5.5 is the sweet spot.

I like to soak my seeds until they crack then pop them in the cubes just so I know that they've popped.

You should have some life above the cubes before they need remoistening but if not then I dunk the bottom of the cubes in a nutrient solution EC 0.1 above your background. I don't use rhizotonic but if you have it then just use this without adding nutrients. Once the seed has sprouted it's time to start feeding. Start low and work up slowly.

20C is fine for germination. Keep below 25
    Too weird to live, too rare to die

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cunning For This Useful Post:

STEVSTER (12-02-17)