Thread: An idea that needs some feedback

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,968 Times

Default An idea that needs some feedback

Afternoon all, hope we are all well on this fine Sunday.

I'm building a growroom from scratch and have had an idea regarding the regulation of temperature.
    I'm thinking of installing electric underfloor heating and tiling the floor of the growroom. This would allow for constant temps at lights off if I decide to go down the mh/hps route or just constant temps easily if decide to go down the LED route. However, I value the opinion of fellow growers so I'd like some feedback from your good selves.
    Thanks in advance
    TLS

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The Lost Soul For This Useful Post:

Ironman (12-02-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,776 Times

I think the main issue there would be the time the underfoor geating takes to warm up & cool down the room

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Ironman (12-02-17), The Lost Soul (12-02-17)

Thanks

I fit ufh regularly and it takes approx 20 mins to reach any desired temp and because it's electric when you turn it down or off it's pretty rapid.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Lost Soul For This Useful Post:

Ironman (12-02-17), potanist01 (12-02-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 48,497 Times

Depends where the groom will be situated. I grow in my garden shed and have 2 x 2foot tubular heaters fixed to the floor. At this time of year they are on 24/7.In my case your idea would be a great space saving idea.

My only concern would be the tiling it. I would just use some light coloured cheap vinyl flooring. Easy to keep clean and removable for repair😉

sent from Thames Ironworks

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ironman For This Useful Post:

The Lost Soul (12-02-17)

Thanks

I am a tiler, Iron Man. Tiling over it is exactly what you do. The thermostat allows for 100% constant temp control when lights off. I wouldn't put any linoleum type product down for fear of off-gassing. I've seen this happen to a few people over the years. 2 x 1mx0.5m porcelain tiles will do the job nicely.
    It's a 1mx1mx2.2m purpose built grow space made from CLS, Kingspan & ply. It's in a weather-tight brick coal shed.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Lost Soul For This Useful Post:

Ironman (12-02-17), MR B-loom (12-02-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Soul View Post
    I am a tiler, Iron Man. Tiling over it is exactly what you do. The thermostat allows for 100% constant temp control when lights off. I wouldn't put any linoleum type product down for fear of off-gassing. I've seen this happen to a few people over the years. 2 x 1mx0.5m porcelain tiles will do the job nicely.
    It's a 1mx1mx2.2m purpose built grow space made from CLS, Kingspan & ply. It's in a weather-tight brick coal shed.
    Sounds like you got it all covered buddy!
    Have you got a thread for this room or a diary with some pics? I love a good build 😉

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ironman For This Useful Post:

The Lost Soul (12-02-17)

Thanks

It's a bit of an expense, even at trade price but worth it, I reckon. Another reason I thought about it was that when I fit it in wet rooms, it takes any out of the air when left on after you finish showering so would be a good thing in a grow room.....I hope.
    When I can get some pics on the camera then I'll post but just on the tablet just now and don't like sending from this.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to The Lost Soul For This Useful Post:

Ironman (12-02-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Soul View Post
    It's a bit of an expense, even at trade price but worth it, I reckon. Another reason I thought about it was that when I fit it in wet rooms, it takes any out of the air when left on after you finish showering so would be a good thing in a grow room.....I hope.
    When I can get some pics on the camera then I'll post but just on the tablet just now and don't like sending from this.
    Cool, I'll look forward to having a butchers😉

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ironman For This Useful Post:

The Lost Soul (12-02-17)

Thanks

It sounds to me like a massive overkill, even if you do all the work yourself.

If you're going to use this space at some point in the future for something that benefits from underfloor heating, then maybe, but for the sole purpose of keeping
    the temps, it's way too much.