After a successful spell receiving cannabis treatment in LA, Billy Caldwell and his mum, Charlotte are set to return to Dublin and attempt to take Billy’s life saving drugs through customs.

Successful Treatment

Charlotte Caldwell and her son Billy, 11 moved to Los Angeles last year to receive treatment in an attempt to save the boy’s life.

Billy suffers from a potentially fatal form of epilepsy and has spent his life suffering up to 30 seizures a day whilst existing on a cocktail of ineffective drugs.

His quality of life improve dramatically after being treated with THC and CBD. After just a few weeks of regular doses of Cannabis Oil, Billy was seizure free for the very first time.

As such, US Doctors have prescribed Billy medical cannabis in a bid to keep his dangerous epileptic seizures under control.

Risk

Throughout his life, Billy has received little help from Northern Ireland’s politicians and health service so his Mum has had to take matters into her own hands.

Charlotte has been warned that Billy’s medicine in illegal in Northern Ireland and she risks prison and losing custody of her son if she tries to bring it into the county but she has decided “enough was enough and I need to get my son home.”

As she left Los Angeles, she told Belfast Live : “I have been fighting for Billy’s life for years and I don’t intend to give up now.”

Hope?

After a tough time in Los Angeles – Charlotte ran out of money and almost became homeless – Charlotte is overjoyed at the progress Billy has made.

Charlotte has been helped by local politicians and they believe they have found a loophole in the law that will allow Charlotte to travel through customs with the cannabis medication and ensure she can continue her primary job as a mum who will do anything to help fight for her son’s life.

Charlotte doesn’t believe herself to be an activist. Instead she describes her self as a “mammy looking after their child”

It is her wish that the ordeal that herself and Billy have had to go through “helps all the other families out there who need this.”.

Read here :